IGNORED

Football stars in the clink

I don't understand why he would do what he did. He might not have the most money in the world but surely he could afford the speeding fines and has only hurt himself by sending bogus mail to the police force. I do feel sorry for him however after finding out that he had been injured for most of his career and that his sister commited suicide at 23 (he himself had tried to do it whilst under depression).

Hopefully he can use this as a good thing and come out a better man.

He's not as bad as some scumballs that end up in prison like Marlon King, how he is allowed to still play football is beyond me.

And isn't it nearly always the case when people get sent down they never do the time they are given, i.e. Life is never life, 10 years usually results in three with good behavior, and six months and they let you out after four weeks and say 'don't do that again', Add to that, and some UK Prisons today aren't a punishment, it's just a luxury for some with all the comforts of home, free room and board, kids on fucking game consoles etc, what's that all about. Some people today when perpetrating crimes and don't always think of the consequences as they'll be aware that doing time today isn't that much of a stretch, it's an easy run and they won't get the sentence handed out, probably said all this before, in fact sure of it but there you are

Ward was given eight or nine years I remember for involvement in some narcotics but only did less than half the time. Bit of a fall from grace for a player who was fairly well recognized back in the day, no world class individual but he did put in some performances for his respective clubs

I remember when we signed him about 1990, either Harvey or Kendall brought him in, bit of a surprise transfer I thought at the time, and remember at least a couple of standout games where he was involved, most notably against Arsenal in Autumn 1991 and a shite derby match in 1993, it was the one where Grobelaar and McManaman were hitting each other, but apart from that, went about his Goodison career all too quietly

I'm surprised No-one has mentioned Joey Barton,the mans ego far surpasses his ability and I'm ashamed to be be from the same city as this cretin.

I think that people forget what an arsehole he is/was because he's a really good footballer. I for one would love to see him at Everton because I think that he would do really well, it's just a shame that his past has made him the 'thug' icon. In recent years I do believe that he has considerably calmed down from what he was in his Manchester City/Newcastle United days.

Wasn't jailed for six months? I don't remember it being a long sentance.

Edit: Guess where Barton scored his only England goal to date? Goodison Park.

Edited by Zoo

I've never rated Barton really, OK he may have had some good games here and there but I've never deemed him worthy of some of the accolades he gets from some, a bit overrated most likely

In fact, he bears a passing resemblance to Gerrard, a sort of snidey rodent faced type and maybe that's why I can't speak much about him, and going to Jail for a spell did him no favors either. Hardly a role model to kids the pair of them dry.png

Although I intensely dislike Gerrard,I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Barton.

I've been re-goin through his f#ck ups on wickipedia and it just brings it back what a total scum bag he is.

This bit made me laugh though...

The club suspension was widely reportedly to have resulted not directly from the red card, but from a dressing room confrontation with Shearer and assistant manager Iain Dowie following the game. Shearer said he made a mistake putting Barton back into the team, and that his tackle was "a coward's tackle", to which Barton replied that he was "the best player at the club", and Shearer had to play him. Shearer said that Barton wasn't, that he was "shit".[99] Barton replied that Shearer was "a shit manager with shit tactics". When Dowie intervened, Barton called him "a prick"

The mans his own worst enemy.

Wasn't George Best sentenced some years back when we has in the twilight of his career at Bournemouth or something, he spent one Christmas in Jail I'm sure of it

Tony Adams got sent down for drink driving if memory serves

Denis Wise that little pocket scamp had an altercation with a taxi driver also and got in trouble because of it, don't think he actually did time for it, was probably acquitted. You could never imagine him behind bars somehow