IGNORED

Reason for Moyes negativity?

The doom-sayers have been quiet of late as the Blues perform their usual end of season 'big come-back'. This has become such a feature of the past 10 years or so, it is almost carved in stone. We all know where we would be in the league had we not given away games we should have won against lesser teams early in the season......yeah, yeah I know we could all say 'If only..' about almost anything, but the answer keeps coming up 'Why does this happen every year?'

I admit that I originally put it down to lack of preparation, and sticking to the old format of playing MSL sides instead of teams with a bite.

And together with many others I have been totally frustrated with Moyes' crazy substitutions, seeming lack of back-up plans and playing favourites instead of in-form players even if it means playing them out of position.

And I have said on here numerous times that if we don't sort this out soon we'll still be talking about the same problem next season.......and this has come to pass many times!

However....and please forgive me if this has been mentioned before and I've been too slow to pick up.....I believe Moyes' negativity and other perceived faults stem from fear of relegation.

Look back over the last 10 years, we havn't started to play as we know we can until we've got about 36/38 points in the bag. Moyes then lets it all loose, the boys start playing with style and verve, believing they can win and the results follow. Unfortunately by that time we're 20 odd points behind the leaders and on that basis alone Champions League football is an era away.

The mantra is 'We Must Not Lose'..... at all costs? This creates negativity and stifles anything constructive.

Moyes' reliance on favourites stems from the fact that those players are reliable and real club-men while the newcomers have yet to earn that accolade. While it is an admirable trait, it also ignores the fact that the newcomers have real talent that is stifled because of lack of faith.

I would really like to see anyone's thoughts on the matter....... but be kind, I'm an old man:)

I think it is a combination of a few things, of which one could be this negativity as we have played in a much more attacking fashion since we started looking like we were going to be safe.

I dont think the problems we have preparation wise are to do with who we play against, I think it has more to do with how we play and who actually plays. Obviously the first games should be treated as warm up games (normally the ones on tour) but when we get to the last couple of games we need to start stepping up the intensity and sorting out of first team squad. We seem to start like we are still in friendly mode sometimes as we back off, we play slow and dont look sharp. In the game that we always play at Goodison the week before the season starts the squad should treat that as week 1 of the PL season. Closing down, high energy, full strength team etc etc.

Generally I believe that the way we play at the start of the season is what costs us as opposed to formations & players, but when the WC finalist CB is sitting on the bench or playing in midfield ahead of a guy who is making rick after rick is playing 90mins every week then you have to question his judgement. Along with the likes of Neville, Cahill & Saha all playing poorly but still completing the 90mins each week was frustrating. These other lads have come in and shown they can do a good job. Im not saying they should start every week BUT they should be given opportunities.

My biggest gripe is the tactics. We havent played any differently since game one, until we played some of the big teams (at home) and over the previous couple of weeks. Every Evertonian who has ever watched any of our decent games, knows that we are at our best when we hassle the other side and dont let them play their game as well as attack with a bit of pace and directness. We need to realise this from day one of the season and not half way through it. I dont expect the lads to be right at it evey game of the season but they have been below par for the majority of this one so far and in some ways we are lucky to have the points we do. We have proven that we have a squad capable of beating anyone (which I have said many times even when I have been bitching & moaning and when people have been complaining about funds etc etc) and I dont expect us now go on and emulate Wenger's unbeatable's but I do expect to see the players & manager give a toss back in August and not when January/February rolls around.

He's very negative for the most part and his tactical decisions can be baffling to say the least at times but he is a solid manager who has a good eye for a bargain and so on.

His downfall which hampers him at present and may do further down the line in terms of becoming a big time charley is he is tactically inept he never seems to have a plan B when the shit hits the fan and as said he is very defensive and negative.

I'm happy to have him as our manager but he frustrates me to no end at times due to the above but also as said he's a solid manager.

He's very negative for the most part and his tactical decisions can be baffling to say the least at times but he is a solid manager who has a good eye for a bargain and so on.

His downfall which hampers him at present and may do further down the line in terms of becoming a big time charley is he is tactically inept he never seems to have a plan B when the shit hits the fan and as said he is very defensive and negative.

I'm happy to have him as our manager but he frustrates me to no end at times due to the above but also as said he's a solid manager.

As much as I do have a pop at him I wouldnt disagree with your last statement... for the time being wink.png

We do have a tendency to get going later in the season when sometimes it's a bit late for a catch up.

Maybe Moyes was a squirrel or hedgehog in a former life and simply likes to hibernate during the autumn and winter. Come spring time, he sticks out his head and goes about his business. But Yes, fully concur that Moyes can be very frustrating at times, if not downright bizarre.