IGNORED

Mario Gomez

Guest Nikica

Guest Nikica

I realise it's probably not the best idea to create threads on individual players, as it could lead to an abundance of them, but I thought I would make an exception for this guy.

Previous to the last two years, the guy was a shadow of what he is now, really, despite having decent spells throughout his career. The reason I created this thread is that he seems to be a pretty polarising individual - some people think he is lethal and a fantastic striker, others think that he's simply a goalscorer and doesn't offer enough outside the box (a common football debate and not exclusive to Gomez).

My personal opinion is that he's the best penalty box striker in the world right now. I also think his game outside the box, whilst not brilliant, is improving all the time. He was impressive the other night against Real Madrid, he was holding the ball up well, everything was sticking to him and he was bringing others into play, yet ironically his finishing was off (generally the best part of his game).

For me, he's the type of guy who flourishes in a particular system - in the 4231 which Bayern play, he is the spearhead of the attack, and the three players behind him provide him with excellent service and their threat also creates space for him. I think this type of striker can have his qualities maximised in this system.

A lot of people don't rate him though, as they see him as just a poacher. Many similar claims were levelled at Pippo Inzaghi throughout his career, but for me both players were/are a vital cog of their teams and their sides were/are set up to get the best out of them. With Germany also playing 4231 at the Euros, he will have a line of three behind him again, and the likes of Ozil, Goetze, Schurrle, Reus, Podolski, Kroos and Mueller can do what Robben, Ribery and Mueller/Kroos do for him at Bayern. I think he will win the golden boot. I can't see Klose starting before him.

So, how do people on here rate Gomez? I wonder how people would react to say, Gerd Muller, if he was playing now.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Actually, I am being pretty harsh on Gomez, as he did do very well at Stuttgart. However, the start to his Bayern career was poor and he has never at any point in his career been as good as he is now, imo.

Guest blueboy122

Dont rate him to be honest never have and never will. He is player that could play for a Bolton or a Wigan but just got lucky and had a few decent seasons before going to Bayern where he has stayed for a good number of years now. From what I have seen he misses sitter after sitter. Same as that Luca Toni really.

Guest Nikica

Dont rate him to be honest never have and never will. He is player that could play for a Bolton or a Wigan but just got lucky and had a few decent seasons before going to Bayern where he has stayed for a good number of years now. From what I have seen he misses sitter after sitter. Same as that Luca Toni really.

Lol. I was hoping for some good discussion, not a complete, uninformed assassination of the guy's ability like this post has done. Misses sitter after sitter? He has over forty goals this season.

This is even worse than you saying Messi might not be able to hack it in England.

I am all for respecting opinions but this stuff is completely disrespectful to Gomez and Messi. You clearly have a dislike for these guys and nothing you have said about them is grounded in reality. One game against Chelsea doesn't define Messi as a player and Gomez most certainly does not miss sitter after sitter.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

i've seen gomez miss some sitters...what player doesn't? to me he seems the kind of player that can disappear for 85 minutes in a game and yet still win it for you...a priceless talent in today's game with late goals meaning so much

Correct. Also, his game outside the box is getting better. He's nowhere near as limited outside the box as say, Javier Hernandez, and is a better goalscorer to boot.

Guest Nikica

bigger player though hard to compare him to hernandez...his movement is some of the best about..off the ball i'd say he's a better player if you do wanna compare

Who's a better player off the ball?

Hernandez has excellent movement but Gomez is a starter for Bayern and Germany and Danny Welbeck (LOL) is keeping Hernandez out of the United team.

I like Hernandez as far as goal poachers go but in my opinion he's an extremely poor man's Gomez.

I still rate David Villa as the world's best pure striker but he's not fit right now.

Guest Nikica

As average as Welbeck is, he is a better link-up player than Hernandez, and that's why he's getting a game before him.

I don't really rate either Welbeck or Hernandez, to be honest with you. I like Hernandez as a goal poacher but he's not much of a footballer. Gomez is improving outside the box all the time.

Hernandez is like Inzaghi without the goals and more offsides.

Edited by Nikica

him and welbeck are also young enough to improve...gomez 27 now or summat? hitting his prime..he never really stood out to me 5 or 6 years ago although admittedly i don't watch a whole lot of german football but what i saw he was nothing special...i just think welbeck and hernandez...welbeck especially deserve the same time to develop before gettin tossed into the average footballer pile

Guest Nikica

him and welbeck are also young enough to improve...gomez 27 now or summat? hitting his prime..he never really stood out to me 5 or 6 years ago although admittedly i don't watch a whole lot of german football but what i saw he was nothing special...i just think welbeck and hernandez...welbeck especially deserve the same time to develop before gettin tossed into the average footballer pile

Yeah, I always add in the proviso for young players that they have time to improve...but Welbeck and Hernandez reek of mediocrity.

Gomez is top class and very few followers of continental football would take Welbeck or Hernandez over him. I can't ever see Hernandez or Welbeck scoring 40 goals a season. Goals aren't the be all and end all, but you get the point.

Edited by Nikica

i'm not sayin i put them above...you brought that comparison in...i think it's difficult to compare different styles of footballers same position or not..hernandez scored 20 goals as a young man in a new league, in a foreign country and at one of the biggest clubs in the world..a daunting task and he went about it great..gomez has been in the same league all his life as far as i know? we'll have to wait and see on hernandez but i just think you're being harsh on him when he hasn't had that much time to adapt here yet gomez has had 8-9 years and is only just startin to look a world beater in terms of goals

Guest Nikica

i'm not sayin i put them above...you brought that comparison in...i think it's difficult to compare different styles of footballers same position or not..hernandez scored 20 goals as a young man in a new league, in a foreign country and at one of the biggest clubs in the world..a daunting task and he went about it great..gomez has been in the same league all his life as far as i know? we'll have to wait and see on hernandez but i just think you're being harsh on him when he hasn't had that much time to adapt here yet gomez has had 8-9 years and is only just startin to look a world beater in terms of goals

Gomez has always scored goals to be fair, I said in my post above I was being harsh - his goals fired Stuttgart to the title when he wasn't much older than Hernandez is now.

I know what you are saying, and the two Mancs do have time to improve, but Hernandez could also end up being a one-season wonder who teams learn to play against. I think players like him fast, great movement), find it easier to score goals in England because there's so many clogger type defenders.

Hernandez and Welbeck will have respectable careers I'm sure, but Gomez is considered by most of Europe to be one of its top three strikers, if not top one (outwith Ronaldo and Messi). Imo he's a true world-class striker and Hernandez and Welbeck will never be world-class.

Just my opinion, and they are both young and have time to improve, but I am making a prediction, as that's all we can do right now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nikica

Been talking him up all season and then he goes and puts in those performances in the German Cup Final and last nightrofl.gif Woeful.

I am still a big fan but ffs, why not shoot when you get the chance Mario? Why hesitate?

Guest Nikica

Like the Gomez of old, he's been shit recently. I'll take your word for it, that prior to recently he may have been in purple patch territory but for me, truly world class players are consistent smile.png

Seen a bit of Bayern this season and he's been playing the striker role in the 4231 very well for the most part - he's not as involved as Benzema at RM (who is a better overall player), but his movement and finishing has been spot on. He held the ball up well in the Bernabeu as well.

Tbh, there's some players who lack consistency but are still rated as world-class. I might have overrated Gomez, but I am not gonna get on the guy's back after two bottle-jobs at the end of the season. Let's see if he starts over Klose at the Euros and if he can replicate his goalscoring form next season.

What I will say is that calling him the best striker in the world on form (although to be fair I did say penalty-box striker, not overall) was OTT. That is probably RVP or Benzema this season.

The best of the lot is David Villa for me and has been for years, but he's been injured and/or shunted to the left so he doesn't qualify right now.