IGNORED

Kevin Kilbane on joining and leaving Everton

Louis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23760763

I moved twice on deadline day. The first of these came when I went from Sunderland to Everton in September 2003. The whole move was pretty stressful because it was on and off a few times.

Mick McCarthy, then the Sunderland manager, rang me the day before the deadline to tell me of an offer made by David Moyes, who was then in charge at Everton. Mick told me that the transfer was highly unlikely as it was too late for him to act and get replacements, but he knew I wanted to move.

I convinced myself it wouldn't happen until the following afternoon when Mick told me that the deal was back on. With the window due to close at 5pm, time was running out to complete the deal but it was possible to sign the necessary paperwork from Sunderland's training ground, which was only 10 miles from my house at the time.

I jumped straight into the car and drove there, where I met the club's secretary. On the way I talked to my agent on the phone (hands-free of course). He was already at Everton completing another deal.

When I arrived there was not enough time to really look through the contract properly so I had no time to make sure it was fully to my liking. Finally, with only a few minutes to spare, the signed papers were faxed off to the Football Association to beat the deadline. That's how tight it gets. Deals are made with seconds to spare.

Deadline day generates a huge buzz with players, managers and fans alike all on tenterhooks to see who goes where. That's why we love it.

There are risks on both sides when completing a deal so late in the day - and Everton certainly took a chance as I couldn't complete a medical before signing. They used my medical records to make sure all was OK and thankfully it worked out well for both parties.

My second move on deadline day took place on 31 August 2006 and happened during an international break. It was less dramatic than my move to Everton but this time it was totally unexpected.

I was in Dublin preparing for an international match away to Germany. I had a call from Moyes to say Everton had accepted a bid from Wigan. He said that although he didn't want to sell me he was duty bound to tell me that the board had accepted the bid.

Once the bid was accepted I felt my days with Everton were numbered and I owed it to Wigan to speak with them. I then had to leave the Irish squad and travel to Wigan. I met Paul Jewell and everything was sorted pretty quickly. Then, I had to make the long journey back to Stuttgart to link back up with the Ireland squad.

It is fair to say that Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton wasn't happy with the disruption it caused.

• 6 months later...

Going back to the previous article, I really don't understand why clubs, agents, and players think that it's OK (even exciting) to sign a contract they have no time to read or legally review. One day, doing this will come back to bite someone. No company executive in their right mind would ever do it because of the risk it entails. Why such last-minute brinksmanship?

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to the previous article, I really don't understand why clubs, agents, and players think that it's OK (even exciting) to sign a contract they have no time to read or legally review. One day, doing this will come back to bite someone. No company executive in their right mind would ever do it because of the risk it entails. Why such last-minute brinksmanship?

One presumes his agent/legal advisor will have read it and advised the player that it was ok to do so.