IGNORED

Sharpy Investigates New Academy

Louis

When Everton's players report back for pre-season training this summer it will not be to the famous old Bellefield training ground in the West Derby area of Liverpool.

Instead, they will be heading to a state-of-the-art new training complex at Finch Farm in Halewood, close to Liverpool airport.

The multi-million pound facility is now 20 weeks away from completion. When finished it will house both David Moyes' senior squad and the Everton Academy.

With the building work in full flow, Everton legend Graeme Sharp paid a visit to the Finch Farm complex this week and was mightily impressed with what he saw.

In an exclusive interview with evertonTV, he predicted the new complex would ensure a greater number of homegrown players will come through the Academy ranks having benefited from the very latest technology that will be on offer at the Finch Farm base.

He told evertonTV: "You have to breed your own players and when you bring the parents and the kids here it will be a big selling point. And I am sure in the years to come we will see many more young players coming through and playing in the first team.

"I think it looks absolutely fantastic. It will be a great facility when it is finished. It is state of the art and I believe it is the best around in the country at the moment. The players will be looking forward to coming here, as well as the young players.

"I have had a look inside and the facilities that will be available to the players and the management are fantastic. The pitches will be in great condition come the summer and the indoor facilities like the hydra-therapy pool and the gymnasium will be hugely beneficial.

"We need to catch up with the Arsenal and Chelseas of this world who have fantastic training complexes. It has been a long time waiting to get this.

"Bellefield holds special memories but it was important we have a new training facility to move forward."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
it's defo a step in the right direction, all we need now is this investment story to be true.

Yep, certainly is a step in the right direction. BUT given that many players seem to set up house in the likes of Formby. Wont it be a bit of a hike to get to the new academy? or are they all going to relocate to Cheshire?

Edited by Maghull70