IGNORED

New Hope To Keep Efc Inliverpool

StevO

HOPES rose today for the campaign to keep Everton in the city of Liverpool.

The Northwest Development Agency will conduct a study into the benefits of keeping Everton FC in the city boundary.

The agency, which hands out government cash to boost regeneration in the region, was asked to examine the economic benefits of Everton FC building its new stadium in Liverpool, rather than neighbouring borough Knowsley.

Today council leader Warren Bradley described it as a positive step and said he wants the study to examine a number of sites for keeping Everton in the city boundary.

Cllr Bradley wrote to the NWDA and Tesco, who have signed a deal with Everton and Knowsley council to build a stadium complex in Kirkby, asking them to take part.

He said: "A copy of the NWDA letter has gone back to Everton and I will be speaking to the club sooner rather than later.

"We've wanted to establish a line of funding on one particular site. But that dialogue has got to take place.

"The bridegroom and all his family are waiting for the bride – and the bride is Everton.

"This is a positive step which could have obvious economic benefits for the city of Liverpool.

"There has been too much talking about this. It's about time for hard evidence to be put forward.

"The council has got to be integral. We would appoint officers to oversee it because what's good for Liverpool FC is good for Everton.

"The council is willing to put support into this through planning and highways."

An Everton FC spokesman said: "Despite the fact that we have been in an exclusivity agreement with Knowsley council for some time, Liverpool city council has always been free to come forward and go public with what they believe to be a deliverable alternative.

"In terms of a viable site with a workable business plan this has so far not happened."

"We have been given a mandate by our supporters and are continuing negotiations with Knowsley and Tesco about the possibility of relocating to Kirkby."

A spokesman for the Northwest Development Agency said: "We are talking with the council to identify potential sites for Everton FC within the city of Liverpool."

A spokesman for campaign group Keep Everton In Our City (KEIOC) said: "We are encouraged by this news.

"Despite recent reports to the contrary, the world’s leading stadia architects confirm that a stadium suitable for the future needs of Everton FC can be built on the Scotland Road Gateway site."

"This or a redeveloped Goodison Park must be investigated, it is essential that Everton remain a big club in a big city."

If a stadium is built on scotland road, it won't look like that picture. The picture is something that Keioc designed (I think). HOK, the company who say a stadium can be built there are expected to release pictures of stadiums in their portfolio on the loop site in the next few weeks.

To be honest I don't care about the loop, a much better place in the city would be Walton Hall Park but the council for some reason ruled that out very early on - ok for the rs to build on a park though :angry: .

I'm just happy our stadium move in Kirkby is gathering pace now.

To be honest I don't care about the loop, a much better place in the city would be Walton Hall Park but the council for some reason ruled that out very early on - ok for the rs to build on a park though :angry: .

I'm just happy our stadium move in Kirkby is gathering pace now.

the council have never ruled out walton hall park!!!

and we never applied to build on stanley - but this is all old news.

that is the design for lansdowne yes

Walton Hall Park has been ruled out

Warren Bradley - ""I personally think public parks are there for leisure and enjoyment, but we’re in a position now where Stanley Park is being used and Evertonians are saying ‘Why can't we use Walton Hall Park?’ But I don’t believe two wrongs make a right.

I think Chinese whispers have happened where people have said ‘Warren Bradley obviously doesn’t care’ but people who know me and how passionate I am about the city and Everton FC under-stand this wouldn’t have hap-pened if I’d been tipped off earlier. The tip off I got was Everton were talking to Knowsley and at that point I got Everton in and we did some work on sites – that was the least I could do. Everton then moved forward.

Before Christmas, me and Bill Kenwright didn’t know each other. Me and Bill Kenwright now are seeing each other and our relationship is going from strength to strength. And he knows exactly what I want to achieve – Everton FC is fully aware of what Liverpool city council wants to achieve. I want the club to stay in the city because I think it’s an integral part of city life. This is Liverpool’s 800th birthday and we’ve been talking a lot about heritage – and Everton is part of that heritage.

I don’t see any reason why Goodison Park can’t be redeveloped. You could quite easily fit an additional footprint and some commercial activity – a hotel, for example – into a new development.”

I think what will probably happen is that Liverpool will move forward with its new stadium and Everton will probably end up playing at a new stadium . . . in North Liverpool, although I think South Liverpool is the best site – no two ways about it. "

i retract my statement. :huh:

i have no sense of north or south locally, not even where im from. but moving in any direction away from the city centre, i believe, would be a bad move with business in mind.

i'll probably get hung out to dry for this, but if only PJ went a head with his stadium ideas years ago this wouldnt be a problem now, and we would all be comfy still in walton with the stadium rotation plan

Edited by StevO