IGNORED

Question For Ex-pat's In Australia

jamiemaher85

Took me a minute to figure that 1 Mike, :rolleyes: tiz early this end.

I came on a working Visa initially Jamie & already had a job here waiting 4 me, pre organised employment really helps.

Never had any issues until I ermmmm overstayed, but it was a clerical oversight ion regards to permanent status application more than me being dodgey. All was sorted & I now have a peice of paper that entitles me to sue the term g'day 4 the rest of my life.

I also had done a previous 2 yr stint some years back & kept a clean nose here, I think that helped as well.

I thought my previous misdemenours @ home would have goine against me. I was honest & it never got a 2nd mention. ( USA wont let me in )

The tuffest part I found was getting thru the very stringent Medicals, I had a terrific doc who I think let a few things go my way. If you smoke LIE.

Interview wise, I just showed enthusiasm ( without begging) & it was a lot less informal than I imagined, formal yet informal atmoshphere. They ask lots of questions. Mostly on yourself, your ambitions, motivations etc.

They also expect you to have a wad of questions in return ( they seem to like rhetorical questions that ask another question - so u look clever & informed, but have a further query on- if that makes sense) & also like you to be really informed geographically, culturally etc.

Being well educated & well travelled Jamie, the Interview wont be to much fuss 4 you mate. It's basically like the biggest job interview of your life, so prepare, prepare , prepare.

Wouldnt hurt if you didnt have a job here to @ least have a shed load of applications on the go @ the time etc so you can claim prospective employment etc. ( I can help you with contacts companies etc)

I shoudnt say this but I believe it true, no one will admit it, but the fact you are White, from an English speaking country & are eductaed will really go in your favour. Not saying its right just an observation.

Australia espec the North is currently amidst a Zillion $$$ industrial, mining & minerals boom, the spin offs is a strong Australian economy all round. Plenty of jobs, espec for professionals, skilled workers, trades etc all over the country. Though a further spin off is a heap of less skileld jobs available as well. ( Doubt you want to spend the next 30 yrs in A steel factory or Aluminium smelter though)

Lots of opportunity in all fields, really really good wages & pretty good working conditons here 2, also have to factor in when comparison is made the pretty reasonable living standards. I feel U can make more Money here & it is much cheaper to live than the UK & or other places.

The immigration paperwork is a nightmare but thats a global ass pain it seems, set criteria Bs & forms after form after form, just gota play the game.

Im trying to think of the heads top of other oddities, hints etc & will keep it in mind.

Best of luck with it all & dont loose heart if dont hear or get prompt responses , as these things can take time ( red tape etc)

If can help with anything Jamie, gives a shout.

PS: You need to know who Don Bradman is to pass the citizenship test...LOL Which is ok 4 us, but ide like to see some of the creative responses of Somali & Afghani refugees :)

There's a daytime TV prog over here currently about families moving Oz-ward.

Was distressed to find that once you're over forty-five you're too old....not that I have any particular ambition to move, just the realisation that the world now considers me too ancient to be useful :( .

Yeh I should have mentioned 35 & under is another factor that can go in ones favour.

Hey Mike I sat here for 5 mins trying to get the electrical angle of the joke above Current Doh then got the Ex Pat bit. ( I was on my 1st coffee)

Once an electrican eh :rolleyes: