IGNORED

Alan Stubbs.

Was very surprised to see this in the Sunderland Echo. .....

Graeme Anderson - Sports Editor

It's only a personal opinion, but I regard Alan Stubbs as the worst Sunderland player I've ever seen.

Far more players less gifted than the Everton hero have pulled on the Sunderland shirt over the years of course.

But none that I can recall who said that they didn't want to be at the club, couldn't wait to get away and actually wanted Everton to win when Everton played 'his' club at the Stadium of Light.

It beggared belief that that season's 'Steve Bould' figure, the man in whose experience Mick McCarthy had put so much faith, should let his club down so badly.

That doesn't diminish the fact that he has been a towering figure in Everton's history over the past decade, nor that he has settled in well and impressed at Derby now that his Everton days are over.

There is precious little to be positive about in the Derby side this season – especially with Giles Barnes off-form – but if County are to win another game this season, it is Stubbs who will have a big say in it.

He may be 36 years old now but he can still get around a pitch and reads the game as well as he has ever done.

He joined Derby in the January transfer window on a free and has done an excellent job in marshalling the defence and adding greater nous to the back-four.

Even fellow centre-half Darren Moore said: "I'm 33 but I can still learn from Alan Stubbs."

Stubbs will certainly be fired up for this weekend's against his former club. Just a pity that he wasn't fired up enough when he was actually at the club.

More surprised that the man got a job as a writer, let alone a "Sports Editor."

How can he say, "I regard Alan Stubbs as the worst Sunderland player I've ever seen," and then go on to say what a good player he was and still is, then...

"Far more players less gifted than the Everton hero have pulled on the Sunderland shirt over the years of course."

Doesn't make any sense. The middle bit is bollocks, he may have been unhappy but he would never have given less than 100% to any game.

Graeme Anderson, you are a fool. If there was ever a point to make you've dismally failed to make it.

Edited by MikeO