IGNORED

Speed.

Bill

My instinct would be that, as Craccer said...

...it's a result of the speed of light.

....and as darkness is a lack of, and the opposite of, light, then it would have the same speed.

As light is travelling minding its own business in the fast lane at 299,792,458 m/s what is it displacing (or leaving behind) but dark? So the speed at which dark is either appearing or disappearing is the same. QED.

But that's obviously not the right answer....because it's too obvious and if it was obvious you wouldn't be asking the question Bill :) .

dark isn't motionless, it can't be measured on a scale of movement or speed because it is the product of a lack of light

Mike G thats an oxymoron, you said its not motionless, and then say it cant be measured on movement or speed.

i was'nt being sarcastic just, pointing out that what i said was exactly what you said in the second part of your answer, it is motionless and its here 24 hours a day.

darkness is there because light isn't

How can you know that?

To be certain you'd need to know what was there before there was light, just as possible to say that light is there because darkness isn't.

"God said, 'Let there be light,' and everyone said, 'Fuck me, where did that come from (and at what speed)?'"

And they decided to ask Bill, because he was the oldest and wisest even then :P .

Thus endeth today's lesson ;) .

if lightness is there because darkness isn't then that's suggesting that they're both measured on the same scale, if your comparing light and dark.

we all know our light comes from the sun, so light is as real as my penis. the speed in which light travels is proven and measured. there is no source of darkness other than the fact its sheltered from light.

i can't prove it of course, but i can't prove i exist either

Let there be light ............. and the sun rose up above the hill.

The Earth is in permanent darkness it is always here and has been here ever since creation.

Any light source comes to us by other means, darkness is a permanent and natural state of Earth, darkness is not switched on and off.

Imagine a coffin lid being nailed down, all the source of light will be stopped from entering the inside of the coffin and it will return to its natural state and will stay that way, possibly for hundreds of years until the lid is taken off, nobody is letting darkness out, on the contrary they are letting light in.

We know the speed of light because it comes from an outside source, but dark is here permanently and never moves anywhere, darkness does'nt arrive or move at the same speed of light, it just returns to its natural state when light recedes, or is switched off.