IGNORED

This Is A Record.

A Spanish referee has set a record for the most dismissals in a game, after his decision to send off one player turned the match into a free-for-all

Referee Jose Manuel Barro Escandón made history at the weekend by sending off 19 players in a regional first division match between Recreativo Linense and Saladillo de Algeciras.

Recreativo were winning 1-0 when one of their players was red-carded in the 54th minute. A fight broke out, which then escalated into a brawl involving several members of the crowd. The match was swiftly abandoned by the referee, who proceeded to show straight red cards to nine players from each side in the dressing rooms, the most puzzling part of which is the question of who, exactly, managed to escape getting a red, and whether they can still look their team-mates in the eye on the training pitch.

Speaking to Spanish radio after the game, the Recreativo coach, Sebastián Naranjo, suggested it might have all been rather overblown in any case. "The players who intervened, and even the spectators, were just trying to see that things didn't get worse," he said. "I don't know what happened to the guy ... The referee has set a new record."

Perhaps so, in terms of the sheer volume of expulsions, but Escandón is certainly not the first to oversee an outbreak of western-style every-man-for-himself fisticuffs. One of the most infamous involved the Jamaican national team during a friendly against Mexican club Toros Neza in Mexico City in 1997. A local player reacted violently to being fouled: cue 22-man tear-up, rapidly joined by coaching staff and members of the Mexican crowd. Jamaica diplomatically left the field. Only to return, in less conciliatory mood, armed with bricks.

I bet that was a good match to get the Fans motivated :o:lol::lol:

^ I know Bill, football's only a game :P

Recreativo were winning 1-0 when one of their players was red-carded in the 54th minute. A fight broke out, which then escalated into a brawl involving several members of the crowd. The match was swiftly abandoned by the referee, who proceeded to show straight red cards to nine players from each side in the dressing rooms, the most puzzling part of which is the question of who, exactly, managed to escape getting a red, and whether they can still look their team-mates in the eye on the training pitch.

That does seem like a mad match though. I bet it was awesome watching the highlights on Spanish MOTD! It took a brave man to send them all off, by the sounds of things everyone went mental - I guess its wonderful to be a referee.

• 2 weeks later...
One from one team, two from the other team. Everybody seems to be taking things so serious today. :D

Bill, do you remember the infamous Leeds game when the ref took both teams off the park at Goodison. It was raining seat cushions all around the ground. I think three or four got sent off in that game but it must have been the most violent first division game ever with players kicking three kinds of crap out of each other with Leeds players diving all over the park and the ref falling for it, they beat us with that early goal, I hated Leeds then and continue to do so to this day, bastards one and all.

Guest efctaxi
The one that didn't get sent off was called Stephano Gerrardo :)

if 19 red cards, weren't there 3 players not sent off ?

Muwahahahaha-o :lmaosmiley: Did I spell that right ? :graduated:

The other 2 were Mustapha Whino and Shaheem DaRedcardo :)

Floop me , they're all the same player :lol:

Bill, do you remember the infamous Leeds game when the ref took both teams off the park at Goodison. It was raining seat cushions all around the ground. I think three or four got sent off in that game but it must have been the most violent first division game ever with players kicking three kinds of crap out of each other with Leeds players diving all over the park and the ref falling for it, they beat us with that early goal, I hated Leeds then and continue to do so to this day, bastards one and all.

Yeah Jimmy it was one of those games you dont easily forget, we always had good battles against Leeds but most of the time they finished 2nd, the saying "you get nowt for being second" was used quite a lot in those Don Revie times. :)