IGNORED

Broadband/phone Suppliers.

MikeO

This is an issue that I see almost everyday, I have been working in IT for about 7 years and this is simply Windows way of telling you its time for a re-install. The fact you have very small amount of memory should not cause any problems, it will just be slower than any other PC that has more memory than you

No amount of spybot seach and destroy or reg cleaner or disk clean-up or any other software download that claims to make your pc run faster will actually make any difference.

1573 Problem(s) found - This is so you buy the software, dont be fooled!!!!!!!

If you want your PC / Laptop to run like it did on 1st day when you got it out of the box, Re-install Windows

Hope that helps

Lee

Guest efctaxi
Something very strange happening on my PC :(:angry: , look at the pic below and see if you can see whats wrong.

[removed]

It's not really the done thing to publish ip addresses on the net Bill :)

Guest efctaxi

BTW ......

Start / run / type msconfig and see what startup programmes are running every time you switch your pc on .

You will find you don't need most of them running .

Thanks peeps for trying to help, but nothings changed. If you notice on the pic i posted further up, i am logging in at 3.40 and looking at the members on line at 3.40, but the actual time as you can see in the bottom right hand corner 4.09, everything i do on the forum is about 2 hrs behind. When i look at a thread and see an unread post, it may be posted by Mike at 1200 midday when i click on the thread to read it i cant, because its not there until maybe an hour later, posts up to about 1100 are ok, :huh: and thats happening all over the forum. Very very strange

Taxi, did what you said and ran it on minimal, wouldnt boot up and was told to start it on Normal and then my security kept asking to accept the change which i did but its made no difference My PC is taking about 8 or nine minutes to boot up and the same to switch off. ???

Changing direction again, but I'll ask in here so it gets noticed.

I'm scrapping an old PC. If I take out the hard drive (and pummel it with a hammer) is it safe to dump it. I'm thinking no-one can get any passwords etc from any other bit of it...is that right?

You can no longer throw computer equipment away along with you household waste, its ilegal, now known as E Waste

If it is re-usable then why not give it to a charity company who will refurbish it and give it to someone less fortunate

or if thats not an option remove the hard-drive and piggy back it into your new PC for extra storage, then dispose of the rest at a skip site or where ever you have to take it

Windows passwords can never be read anywhere, not even administrators can see what your password it, they can only change it to something else, and YES if you pummel it with a hammer that will certainly end its life

Hope that helps

Guest efctaxi
Changing direction again, but I'll ask in here so it gets noticed.

I'm scrapping an old PC. If I take out the hard drive (and pummel it with a hammer) is it safe to dump it. I'm thinking no-one can get any passwords etc from any other bit of it...is that right?

http://hubpages.com/hub/dispose-of-hd-at-home

I feel sorry for the poor Nigerian who discovers your passion for rubber and custard :lol:

Bill I can empathise totally with you having read your dilemma. The basic problem is that half of the language these guys are using is foreign to us both, possibly me more than you. I had a similar thing happen to my PC, at the end of the day nothing anyone said made the slightest bit of difference. A young whiz kid friend of my daughters came and looked at my machine and within two minutes told me to buy a new one, that worked. Apparently I had so much on that old machine it was a wonder it worked at all.

I used to be on AOL but their system seems to be very invasive cutting through many programmes, last June, based on advice from Bacon Butty (the prostitute researcher :lol: ) I switched to Virgin and that has been fine as long as you save mail via Windows and not in their small mail boxes!

Guest efctaxi
Slanderous lies....and my wife will fully back me on this...I'll just go and find her...

And what of your mistress ? :P ( hope it's not too strong ;) )

messy_15.jpg

I'll have to get this subject back on topic before I rush out to the supermarket for some birdseye .

Now , about that hammer ................ :lol:

Going back to the original point of the thread I've switched to BT, saving myself around £15 a month (and, if their tests are correct, tripling my connection speed).

I've got the MAC but they didn't ask for it in the order process which I was a bit surprised by, presumably they'll ask for it once they process the order and give me an activation date :huh: .

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Done the switch painlessly but...

....while the laptop and Josh's PC are fine my computer stubbornly refuses to find the signal.

It's picking up ten different networks from the neighbours but can't find the right one <_< .

Any ideas?

It's actually only about ten feet away from the hub, though up a level. Driving me insane :angry: .

Guest efctaxi

If you have a modem at the wall / telephone socket etc , then turn your pc off , then turn the modem off and wait about 20 seconds before switching back on . Then reboot your pc and see if it's fixed .

If you have a modem at the wall / telephone socket etc , then turn your pc off , then turn the modem off and wait about 20 seconds before switching back on . Then reboot your pc and see if it's fixed .

Thanks Taxi but what it appears to have been is an old wireless adapter causing the problem.

I switched and put the lad's adapter onto my PC and it's fine.

Just means I need to go out and buy another one.

Another quick question.

Although my connection speed's gone up (from less than 1mb to about 2.5mb) my downloading seems to be limited at times. Sometimes it's as low as 10kb/s, then it's 50, 100 or (usually late night) up to 300kb/s. Any ideas as to the reason for this?