IGNORED

Broadband/phone Suppliers.

MikeO

Thinking about changing my broadband/phone provider to see if I can save a few quid.

Anyone have any recommendations/warnings....the thing that concerns me most is the process of changing, can't risk being disconnected for any length of time, anyone have any experience of it?

Cant give you any info on changing as only had broadband for about 8 months however as I have sky I use sky broadband.

It costs me £10 per month for there top package of unlimited downloads and max spead and as long as you have sky you can have it and I got a free wireless router when signed up.

I do know someone who was with bt and changed to sky and they said they had no problems changing

Depends on who your with to be honest..... if your already with Sky or Virgin id just tell them your going to cancell your contract.... At first they will call your bluff.... but before they come to remove your equipment you will get a call from their sales (cancelation) team...

I managed to get full tv (xl package ) 8meg/10meg broadband and telephone hd box box (half price) and free subscription to the hd service for 35quid.... saved me maybe 25quid a month

you also get special start up deals..... tv ( large package ) 8meg broadband and telephone for maybe 30 / 35 quid..

Wondered about that DM....it worked with my car insurance (they wanted £160 renewal, got a quote of £130 so I phoned to cancel and they cut it to £120).

Phone and broadband are with Tesco's but I've got Sky TV already so I'm thinking putting the three together would be better. It's just the possibility of down-time that concerns me :) .

It allways works except they are a little more wise to it..... most companies will call your bluff and actually wait until just before agreed cancelation date... Companies just have a procedure for it.... It works with complaints aswell... they may fuck you off at first even if your completely in the right... they are just wait hoping it will go away

I do it my mobile phone contracts too.

anyway screw em good they deserve it

Guest efctaxi

I use NTL / Virgin .

I have the X-L TV , 20 MB Broadband , and free phone calls anytime I want ( 1 hour per call before charge ) except for mobiles etc .

It costs me £56 per month . Sky sports isn't included , but I do get everything else . Broadband isn't as good as some of my European friends have , but it's better than anyone else can offer . The distance you are from the main connection dictates how much broadband you get with Sky etc .

I'm on Sky too Mike. There have been no problems.. if you write to Tesco and tell them you want a "Migration Authorisation Code" they'll send you a code in the post. Tell the code to your next supplier and you will only be without internet for up to hour if all goes well.

One thing to consider is setting up an email account somewhere else in he meantime to change your details to because once you move on you won't be able to access tesco.net email anymore.

Guest efctaxi
I'm on Sky too Mike. There have been no problems.. if you write to Tesco and tell them you want a "Migration Authorisation Code" they'll send you a code in the post. Tell the code to your next supplier and you will only be without internet for up to hour if all goes well.

One thing to consider is setting up an email account somewhere else in he meantime to change your details to because once you move on you won't be able to access tesco.net email anymore.

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount?...type=2&gd=1

While we are talking about PCs :) I'll ask this question on here, i have double RAM on my PC and the Hard drive "C" is almost full and the PC is getting very slow, i have a completely Empty one the same size "D".

My question is, How do i switch to the Empty hard drive, and can anybody give me some info please. ??

Guest efctaxi

Double ram ......... or dual ram ? :)

If you want to clear some space from your drive , go to start / programmes / accessories / system tools / disc cleanup .

If you have never done this before , it will get rid of a lot of crap , and probably bring back quite a few gig .

Also ,

System restore uses up a lot of space ( usually 12% ) .

If you want to , you can reduce the allocated size from 12% to 1 or 0 % for example , which will delete old restore points .

Then simply put it back to 12% :)

This can give you 12 % of your disc space back .

Before you do either , right click on C and press properties to see how much space you have , then do the same afterwards . You'll be surprised how much you get back . If your pc is new , obviously not much point .

Edited by efctaxi

Guest efctaxi

Without seeing your pc , it's hard to know whether your drive has been partitioned , or if you have 2 seperate drives .

Names of drives vary from pc .

At the moment , I have Vista Ultimate , so my local disc is C: , DVD is D: and floppy E: .

My old PC has 2 hard drives .

To use either drive , you simply choose one or the other when installing , downloading , or saving etc . The pc will normally choose one or the other as a default , and you simply browse to the other one if needed . You can copy / paste stuff over too , or drag and drop , then once finished , delete the old one ( obviously not installed programme files ) . Music , images for example .

Open my computer and it should tell you what drives you have .

Right click my computer / properties and it will tell you some hardware info and the same on C: / D: etc will give you volumes .

Edited by efctaxi

Without seeing your pc , it's hard to know whether your drive has been partitioned , or if you have 2 seperate drives .

Names of drives vary from pc .

At the moment , I have Vista Ultimate , so my local disc is C: , DVD is D: and floppy E: .

My old PC has 2 hard drives .

To use either drive , you simply choose one or the other when installing , downloading , or saving etc . The pc will normally choose one or the other as a default , and you simply browse to the other one if needed . You can copy / paste stuff over too , or drag and drop , then once finished , delete the old one ( obviously not installed programme files ) . Music , images for example .

Open my computer and it should tell you what drives you have .

Right click my computer / properties and it will tell you some hardware info and the same on C: / D: etc will give you volumes .

MYPC-1.jpg ---- MYpc-2.jpg

You can see i have really cleaned up "C DRIVE" with analyzing and de-fragmenting, and also deleted lots of games and pics, but its still running slow, i thought i could make use of the empty "D.DRIVE". :mellow:

Mike, whenever i try to "move to" ............. D Drive is never in the options. ??.

Mike, whenever i try to "move to" ............. D Drive is never in the options. ??.

Should be Bill...mine's an Acer also. When it gives you the options pick "My Computer" and it should open up more options including ACERDATA (D:)

If it doesn't just copy from C and paste into D like Taxi said....but don't forget to then go back to C to delete the original file.

Personally though I'd be a bit dubious that that's what's causing the slow running, there looks to be plenty of spare space on C.

Can't help more than that I'm afraid...if it isn't that I'm completely clueless to what it might be....my laptop still slows occasionally, when it gets too hot and the fan stays on for a while I know it's on it's way out for a bit :( .

Already got Spybot S & D, and AVG, both of which find about 50 tracking cookies EVERY DAY, :o and i have set Firefox and Internet Explorer to delete cookies every time i switch off :angry: but they are still there every day.

Also got Windows Defender which is a bit like Spybot, supposedly for spyware.

i've found that anti-virus systems are actually worse for your pc than going without. the chance of getting a genuine virus is minimal unless you go to dodgy website, you are highly unlikely to be targeted for a hack. most of the viruses you see your anti-virus pick up are sent by the provider (something i learned from a friend who works for norton)...they send you small viruses to both make sure its working and to give you confidence that your system is secure.

as for the 256 mb i'm surprised you can even use internet explorer with that :)

adware-1.jpg

It shows 32.95 megabytes, why should it need 256m to download ??, plus if you look at the post further up you will see that i have 24,210,604,032 mbs of free space, 24 billion, 210 million, six hundred and four thousand, and 32 megabytes.

I think thats enough space isnt it. :D

Guest efctaxi
adware-1.jpg

It shows 32.95 megabytes, why should it need 256m to download ??, plus if you look at the post further up you will see that i have 24,210,604,032 mbs of free space, 24 billion, 210 million, six hundred and four thousand, and 32 megabytes.

I think thats enough space isnt it. :D

24,210,604,032 bytes ..... not mb lol :lol: Unless you have the biggest hard drive ever created :huh:

That equates to 22.54788 gig

That is plenty .

You could probably do with using a registry cleaner , such as Reg Mechanic or Winaso registry optimizer .

You can get a free working version of the Winaso ( only fixes 10 problems at a time ) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registr...Optimizer.shtml

Edited by efctaxi

24,210,604,032 bytes ..... not mb lol :lol: Unless you have the biggest hard drive ever created :huh:

That equates to 22.54788 gig

That is plenty .

You could probably do with using a registry cleaner , such as Reg Mechanic or Winaso registry optimizer .

You can get a free working version of the Winaso ( only fixes 10 problems at a time ) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registr...Optimizer.shtml

That turns out to be REG-CURE which i have already tried and is not free. Its not much help to me it as it only cleared two faults, and that still leaves over 1,500 still there.

scan.jpg

Guest efctaxi
That turns out to be REG-CURE which i have already tried and is not free. Its not much help to me it as it only cleared two faults, and that still leaves over 1,500 still there.

scan.jpg

Bill .

If you pm me your email address , I'll solve your problem :)