IGNORED

Ban On Sale Of U18 Players

I think it seems quite an interesting idea.Platini often comes up with complete gash but I think i'd be behind this.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5032467,00.html

Uefa chief Michel Platini has seen his plans to ban transfers for any player under the age of 18 supported by clubs, leagues and associations.

Platini wants international transfers involving players under 18 banned and at a meeting of the Professional Football Strategy Council in Switzerland, his plans were given the thumbs up.

The Professional Football Strategy Council is composed of elected representatives of the associations, clubs, leagues and players from throughout Europe, and advises Uefa's Executive Committee on issues of strategic importance for European football.

Fifa also has an observer on the panel, and Platini's ideas were, in principle, agreed to.

Pleased

"The question of minors is above all a moral and ethical issue - we have a duty to take concrete steps to protect young players and training clubs," said Platini.

"I am delighted that the key stakeholders of the European football family have a common view on this major subject and I welcome the signature of this important resolution."

Although football's big hitters have agreed to Platini's plans they will now need to be ratified by the European Union, who at the moment only have a limit of 16 for legal cross-border transfers.

European Union sports commissioner Jan Figal has said he would ask for all 27-member nations to back proposals, if Platini could provide evidence that it would put an end to exploitation of young footballers.

It would still work out though, the first year or so would be trickier, but eventually they would just sell the players they may have done at 16 at 18 instead, and probably for a better price.

What about the clubs who need a quick fix though? There are a lot of lower league clubs (in England at least) who are threatened by administration etc and selling a young player could mean their survival.

What about the clubs who need a quick fix though? There are a lot of lower league clubs (in England at least) who are threatened by administration etc and selling a young player could mean their survival.

But after it stabalises it means that they will still have the players they retained. They can still sell at the same rate they would have, its just means that they will be a little bit older than before. The quick fix can still be to sell those players. Once the plan is in action and it stabalaises after a few years it would not have a huge adverse effect.

I'm in two minds about this. It would mean that the younger players would have a better experiance. They would remain at the same club until they are at a mature age and would maybe develop into better players. The club doing the selling would also get a fair price rather than some buttons. The other side of the coin is what Mark said, some clubs are in the shitter and need some money now. Administration is a bad thing and any club wants to avoid it, this rule could in effect do more harm than it prevents.

For me I'd say leave it, things are fine how they are.

But the proposed restriction is only on international transfers; it doesn't say anything about domestic transfers. If a conference team thinks they need to sell a 16-year-old, and they find a team in League One or the Championship or the Premiership who wanted to buy him, then no problem. They just couldn't exile him to, say, Russia or Serbia.

I'm wondering why this isn't already the rule.

signing contracts = working

so isn't it child labour strictly speaking?

maybe I'm being naive on this.

Don't know if will matter much, in the end big clubs will keep on attracting young players.

Edited by Churinga