IGNORED

Hillsborough: 20 Years On

We have quite rightly agreed to participate in this years memoriam for those killed in the disaster all those years ago, it struck at the hearts of most football supporters but at what point will we all accept that the dead will not return and life goes on.

Hillsborough is not the only tragedy of this nature to strike at football grounds, Bradford fire, Ibrox, Heysel and Burnden Park saw people killed when out supporting their teams yet most no longer attract attention, they have been allowed to slip into history. It is possible that Hillsborough retains a prominence because of the feeling of injustice that surrounds it or are we all being a tad self indulgent as similar circumstances applied to all the other events.

At some point we must all let this sadness pass into history, but when will that be, when will those that died be allowed to RIP?

Edited by Jimmy the blue

Personally Jim if I felt that someone I loved had been killed through negligence and those responsible hadn't been called to account I'd only let it pass when I was in a box myself.

Unfortunately we all know that no one has or will get blamed for this disaster and I have no wish to go over old ground. What I do want to ask is when should the ball be put away by the wider society. I have experienced the sudden loss of a close relative, mowed down by a drunken driver and we never got satisfaction in a coroners court, I would hate to have those wounds publicly reopened year on year and after this time some relatives of those who died will no doubt feel similar. Do the people of Turin perpetuate Heysel, I don't know, what I don't want to see is another outsider like Boris Johnson suggest that Merseyside is self indulgent about things like this......................it has to end sometime

If there's one thing to be learnt from history.....it's that we NEVER learn from history!

We go on making the same mistakes.When things get forgotten, they tend to happen again, maybe way off in the distance, but even that would be way too soon.

The way not to forgett is to remember.Once a year isn't too much, and if it stops one young football fan ever being crushed watching the team he loves, then hell yes keep talking about Hillsborough.

Wasn't there a young lad crushed by a wall collapse at a Birmingham Leeds game years back?Well I say remember it, football clubs spend some of your money checking out the safety of your stadiums and the area surrounding that stadium where your fans ARE your responsibility.Any of you dads on here want a policeman coming round your house after your child hasn't returned from a football match....to tell you he/she isn't coming home?

Keep talking, and fences will never go up again, people won't throw fags or matches under their seats and structures will be checked for safety.

Never forget Hillsborough, Bradford, Heysel.....even Ibrox.

• 2 weeks later...
just like to say there was a disaster in africa it hardley got a mention....hillsborough there were people at fault on both sides....supporters....police..and most of all the fencing no fencing would have reduced the casualtys significantly.

The fans weren't at all at blame for Hillsborough. That's a myth perpetrated by the rag and other sources.

The disaster was down to lack of police control full stop. I would have thought that Evertonians would be the most clued up of opposing supporters.

It was nothing like Heysel which I personally even to this day believe wasn't just down to Liverpool fans. My Dad lived in London and his neighbours, Chelsea fans were organising a trip to Turin to cause trouble.

That's not to pass the blame but Heysel and Hillsborough were completely different anyway.

The fans weren't at all at blame for Hillsborough. That's a myth perpetrated by the rag and other sources.

The disaster was down to lack of police control full stop. I would have thought that Evertonians would be the most clued up of opposing supporters.

It was nothing like Heysel which I personally even to this day believe wasn't just down to Liverpool fans. My Dad lived in London and his neighbours, Chelsea fans were organising a trip to Turin to cause trouble.

That's not to pass the blame but Heysel and Hillsborough were completely different anyway.

SR what you say about Hillsborough is the truth and I'm certain that these new documents will reveal damaging evidence concerning both the police and politicians of the day. That said I wish your club would also remember those that died at Heysel..............and I don't accept for one second that any one other than Liverpool supporters were responsible and no police records or witnesses can substantiate the urban myth that 'it wasn't us guv'

SR what you say about Hillsborough is the truth and I'm certain that these new documents will reveal damaging evidence concerning both the police and politicians of the day. That said I wish your club would also remember those that died at Heysel..............and I don't accept for one second that any one other than Liverpool supporters were responsible and no police records or witnesses can substantiate the urban myth that 'it wasn't us guv'

I'm just saying I'm not entirely convinced. I won't make a big thing out of it though because not believing evidence is what a lot of silly fans do when it comes to Hillsborough.

They were both very sad days, that's for sure.