IGNORED

Footy Quiz No1

Bill

The usual ..... Email or PM the answers please. :)

1. The following are some of the largest football stadiums in the world. Name the city in which they are found. (1point for each)

1-Stadium Strahov. 2-Rungnado. 3-Azadi. 4-Estadio da Luz.

2.Sherlock Holmes creator Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was the goalkeeper for which english football club ?

3.Which top goal getter in international competions wore the number 13 ? (68 goals in 62 International Appearances.

4.What colour did the Queen wear when presenting Bobby Moore with the Jules Rimet trophy ? (most people think the game was played in black and white)

5.Who was the youngest player in England's world cup winning team ?

6.The book "The clown prince of soccer " was about which football legend ? (he got an electric toaster as a signing-on bonus)

7.Why couldn't "Banks of England" play in the 1970 world cup match between England and Germany?

8.Which English defender has had goals disallowed in a make or break game in a world cup match and a European championship match ?

9.In which club's trophy cabinet would you find Alan Ball's flat cap ?

10.Which German imitated a cock (and Gazza) after scoring the deciding penalty in the EURO '96 semi final between England and Germany ?

11.Name the five English teams that have won back to back league titles in the post war era. (Top flight: Premier League or the old division one) (1 point for each)

12.Which English team was once known as "The Biscuit Men" ?

13.Complete the names of the following football brothers. (1 point for each name.)

1-Ronald and Frank. 2-Dieter and Uli. 3-Wili and Rene. 4-Nico and Robert.

Answers

1. a. Prague

b. Pyongyang

c. Tehran

d. Lisbon

2. AFC Portsmouth

3. Gerd Muller

4. Yellow

5. Alan Ball

6. Len Shackleton

7. Montazumas revenge (The shits)

8. Sol Campbell

9. Portsmouth FC

10.Andy Moller

11: Portsmouth FC

: Wolverhampton

: Liverpool

: Man U.

: Chelsea

12. Reading

13. a: de Boer

b: Hoeness

c: de Kerkhoff

d: Kovac

Beards Answers......

1. a. Prague, b. One of the Koreas, i'll go for Seoul c. Tehran (it held biggest crowd for world cup in play offs couple of years back V Ireland I think and d. Lisbon ( was there few weeks back haha, incidentally it is known as Luz (light) because that is the district it is in).

2. No idea, guess at London team, West Ham

3. Gerd Muller, if memory serves me right from tv.

4. Black, white haha, Nah i'll guess something mad like Yellow or Purple, go for the former.

5. Alan Ball

6. Len Shackleton, I have a copy complete with the chapter on "What the average director know about football" and the next page is blank.

7. He had 'The Shi*s' or some other debilitating mystery virus.

8. Sol Campbell one against Portugal, can't remember the other.

9. Guessing at Pompey or Saints, Go for Pompey.

10. Andy Moller

11. Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea for definate. Pre war Huddersfield I think and defo Arsenal BUT post war I think Wolves and Porstmouth right after the war ended.

12. Reading.

13 a. de Boer b. Hoeness c. van der Kerkhof d. no idea, guess Kranjcar

3. WRONG OR PASSED

Iggys answers ......

1. The following are some of the largest football stadiums in the world. Name the city in which they are found. (1point for each)

1-Stadium Strahov. PRAGUE (Thank god for stag do's!)

2-Rungnado. NORFOLK 'N' CLUE!.

3-Azadi. TEHRAN

4-Estadio da Luz. LISBON

2.Sherlock Holmes creator Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was the goalkeeper for which english football club ? PORTSMOUTH (BUT NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CURRENT CLUB!)

3.Which top goal getter in international competions wore the number 13 ? (68 goals in 62 International Appearances. GERD MULLER

4.What colour did the Queen wear when presenting Bobby Moore with the Jules Rimet trophy ? (most people think the game was played in black and white) YELLOW

5.Who was the youngest player in England's world cup winning team ? ALAN BALL

6.The book "The clown prince of soccer " was about which football legend ? (he got an electric toaster as a signing-on bonus) LEN SHACKLETON

7.Why couldn't "Banks of England" play in the 1970 world cup match between England and Germany? DIAHORRHEA

8.Which English defender has had goals disallowed in a make or break game in a world cup match and a European championship match ? SOL CAMPELL

9.In which club's trophy cabinet would you find Alan Ball's flat cap ? PORTSMOUTH

10.Which German imitated a cock (and Gazza) after scoring the deciding penalty in the EURO '96 semi final between England and Germany ? MOLLER?

11.Name the five English teams that have won back to back league titles in the post war era. (Top flight: Premier League or the old division one) (1 point for each) MAN U. THEM OVER THE PARK, CHELSKI, WOLVES, NO IDEA OF THE OTHER ONE

12.Which English team was once known as "The Biscuit Men" ? READING (HUNTLY & PALMERS USED TO BE THERE)

13.Complete the names of the following football brothers. (1 point for each name.)

1-Ronald and Frank. DE BOER

2-Dieter and Uli. HOENESS

3-Wili and Rene. DE KIRKHOFF

4-Nico and Robert. KRANCJAR?

3. WRONG OR PASSED

Quite enjoyed that one Bill, enough old stuff for those of us that remember when TV was in black & white!

Out of interest, re Conan Doyle, there is a pub in Pompey with loads of stuff about him all over the walls. It was reading this info whilst enljoying a leisurely pint or three that I came across the football connection.

The team he played for was an amateur team that went of existence some years before the present day Portsmouth FC were formed, but as they had the city name (They were called something like Portsmouth Amateur Football Club) over time it became accepted (for quiz purposes at least!)that he played for Portsmouth.

Yeah it was before the present Portsmouth, an amateur team AFC Portsmouth as you said, but i underestimated your knowledge and did you a disservice by just making it Portsmouth. Sorry ;)

You and the Beard must be regular partisipants in quizzes, if not you should be. :P

Well done to you both, only 3 wrong for Joint 1st Place.

Yeah it was before the present Portsmouth, an amateur team AFC Portsmouth as you said, but i underestimated your knowledge and did you a disservice by just making it Portsmouth. Sorry ;)

You and the Beard must be regular partisipants in quizzes, if not you should be. :P

Well done to you both, only 3 wrong for Joint 1st Place.

Not at all mate, as I said it is generally accepted in quizzes, wasn't intended as a point, just a bit of general info

As to quizzing, I used to do a lot of league quizzing before I moved to where I live now, and I am sort of barred from the quiz machine in my local! :D

I am so glad i missed that quiz Bill. I didn't know any of the answers. (Well maybe a couple)

I must be a football dunce, and once upon a time I thought I knew a fair bit too.

You guys put me to shame.

(And I flatly refuse to google answers, as it is more fun to try and answer with what i know)

Anyway I did try the quiz out before I read your answers, and frankly end of term report is obscene material :lol: