IGNORED

Gudjonsen

GUDJOHNSEN: BLUES NO MATCH FOR BARCA

New Barcelona signing Eidur Gudjohnsen claims that despite all the investments made by his former club Chelsea, they still have much work to do before they can match the new champions of Europe.

Barca clinched a Champions League and Primera Liga double last term, while Premiership champions Chelsea suffered disappointment in the European competition for a second successive season.

"Chelsea have spent a lot in the last two years since Roman Abramovich came but Barcelona are better than them in all departments," Gudjohnsen told Barca TV.

"They have improved a lot under (coach Jose) Mourinho but Barcelona are where Chelsea want to be and the success of Barcelona is also a question of history. They have always been there while Chelsea have not."

After signing for around £8million, Gudjohnsen's aim is to fight for a first-team place at the Nou Camp having signed a four-year deal with the Spanish giants.

"I was on holiday in Iceland with my children when my father called to say that I had to travel to Barcelona," the striker added.

"My intention now is make it difficult for (coach Frank) Rijkaard to pick the starting XI. I will look to do my best and then the trainer will decide.

"In this team everyone will have chances."