IGNORED

Cahill: No expectations our secret weapon

Hafnia

Yep, all the rallying gets on my titties to be honest.

He didn't 'have' to say 'anything' but for me, this time his statement just reminds me of a player who is a little too comfortable. They're professional players, not amateurs. Strictly speaking, every team in the league should be good enough to win the league. It's not like they've only just started to kick a ball round. Every pro should be confident. It's their job to compete after all, and not to admit defeat.

It would have been a pretty shit interview if he didnt say anything!

Seriously though does reality play no part in this? Would you back Wales to win the next World Cup or Tranmere to win the FA Cup?

I cant for the life of me see where you have come to the conclusion that Cahill has admitted defeat in that interview if anything all he is guilty of doing is trying to turn a negative in to a positive

Seriously though does reality play no part in this? Would you back Wales to win the next World Cup or Tranmere to win the FA Cup?

I cant for the life of me see where you have come to the conclusion that Cahill has admitted defeat in that interview if anything all he is guilty of doing is trying to turn a negative in to a positive

Dunc the part I am highlighting is the fact that we do have very very good players in our team, we have played the likes of Man City off the park who are candidates for the prem. To lower expectations based on players maybe not feeling that they can perform to the same level when they feel more pressure is a joke. They are multi millionaires - financially secure, international level players. If their careers were to finish tomorrow they would be holidaying in Barbados each year with Rooney, Carroll, Neville. They should not be coming out with such stuff like this, the fans know that the club are in financial dire straits,we expect the players to earn their corn.

The team in 84/85 were by no means built on mega bucks, and whilst I am aware it is a different game nowadays, Andy Gray's never say die and up and at em attitude rubbed off on the players. Cahill for me is a similar style talisman, we need him to be motivating and cajoling.

TIM CAHILL believes a lack of expectation can be Everton FC’s secret weapon as they aim to make a flying start to the Premier League campaign.

David Moyes’s side completed their warm-up programme on Friday by going down to a disappointing 1-0 defeat to Villarreal in their traditional home friendly.

The gloom deepened with Seamus Coleman taken to hospital nursing a serious ankle injury after a poor tackle from Spanish midfielder Carlos Marchena.

With no new signings imminent and fresh investment failing to transpire, the apprehension among Evertonians is in stark contrast to 12 months ago when Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson tipped the Goodison outfit as outsiders for Champions League qualification.

But Cahill is convinced having no pressure can work in Everton’s favour when they begin the season at Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

“I’m not putting any expectations on us this season because I think it was a problem last season,” said the Australian. “We called Europe and called a very high finish.

“Expectations are a big thing – especially when you pile the pressure on yourself. At the moment we have no pressure.

“What’s the point of putting expectations on ourselves if clubs are spending hundreds of millions?

“We’ve got something special here and the main thing is that we try to start on fire and the first game will say a lot about how the season will start.

“I think we’re the only team not to go out and spend but what we do have is a great set of lads who are on long-term contracts who have been here for many a season.

“There are so many great players. We’ve just got to deal with what we have got and make the most of it because when you have got no expectations, anything can happen.

“We have a strong team when you look at it on paper. Hopefully the team will surprise people.”

I've read it again, and it still annoys me, so we'll have to differ on this one.

I can make excuses for players all day long, but normally if my first reaction is a dissatisfied one, then the player has normally chosen the wrong way to put his point across.

Had he said "no one thinks we have a cat in hells chance, so we just might surprise a few peeps" then that's one thing, but my interpretation doesn't read that.

Besides, it's not as if it's important as long as he puts a shift in.