IGNORED

Cahill: No expectations our secret weapon

Hafnia

http://www.liverpool...92534-29195786/

“Expectations are a big thing – especially when you pile the pressure on yourself. At the moment we have no pressure.

“What’s the point of putting expectations on ourselves if clubs are spending hundreds of millions?

Seriously, come on Tim, £50k a week means that we have expectations that the players understand that we want more than what we are getting.

Watching against Bremen and Villareal, we were subjected to pedestrian play where a 23 year old and a 17 year old are showing the others how it's done. Getting a wee bit tired of the same messages coming out of the club. Nothing from Moyes or the chaiman, but plenty of "it's ok" messages from the players

Edited by Hafnia

not sure what you guys wanna hear from moyes? if he came out and said it then he'd be slated..if he came out and had a go at the chairman he'd be disloyal and probs end up leavin..he'd just tell us what we know..we have no money

He can't even do interviews after pre-season games though?

I agree to an extent Marco, but it's the elephant in the room. The elephant in the room is that the squad has not been strengthened. It is glaringly obvious that we need someone on the left side and another striker and we have no knowledge as to whether Moyes is in the market, looking for money... We know that he is aware of fan unrest, speak out. Or is his silence a means of getting a message that he is unhappy across?

If he thinks there are no expectations I'm afraid he should pack his bags and jump on the next plane back to Australia.

What about the fans Tim?

They might not expect the team to win trophies every year, but they do expect you all to work your ass off and sweat and pant for the club, every single second, of every single minute that you are on the pitch representing our club.

Pay me 60k per week and I'll keep running until I die.

We do have expectations. We expect 100% from every player. If we had that, we would be a lot closer to the top of the table than we have been recently.

I thought to myself the other day, how different things are now. The old Everton spirit of fighting until the final whistle seems to have gone.

The big difference between players who join us from lower leagues, and players who have now made it, is that the lower league players work their asses off. Some of our players seem to be content.

Sorry Tim, but don't tell fans there are no expectations, or I'll personally drag your sorry ass to the airport and kick your ass all the way to the runway. smile.png

Although I'm not Old 'Arry's biggest fan this is one area where he is an expert when it comes to the media. He's always straight up, and let's people know exactly what he's doing on most occasions "Yeah we spoke to that player, no chance of that happening, yeah he's good we might look to put a deal together" etc...

Moyes has always been one of the quietest managers in the game, and although I'd love him to be more open and honest looking at it objectively, everyone knows Everton don't have any money and therefore may have to sell to buy or loan/free players, and it would probably make his job even harder by letting everyone know who he's after knowing how careful we have to be when it comes to money.

Looking ahead though, if we can get some money for Yobo maybe we can bring someone in towards the end of the window you never know, but this is always the time when every Evertonian starts hitting the bottom of the pit.

so, for the last several seasons weve been tipped as dark horses, outsiders for a top 4 push, and not achieved it. maybe all the expectation and protracted transfer sagas played a part in the slow start. I think Tims got a point. I think you guys are reading this in the wrong light.

As for Moyes not coming out and saying anything, why would he!? its preseason! If he doesnt do it after Spurs, which he will because that game will actually mean something, then start to worry.

so, for the last several seasons weve been tipped as dark horses, outsiders for a top 4 push, and not achieved it. maybe all the expectation and protracted transfer sagas played a part in the slow start. I think Tims got a point. I think you guys are reading this in the wrong light.

As for Moyes not coming out and saying anything, why would he!? its preseason! If he doesnt do it after Spurs, which he will because that game will actually mean something, then start to worry.

Matt I think the problem is the fact he has come out and stated this, one week before kick off when you should be rallying the troops, "there isn't a team that can beat us on our day, why shouldn't we aim for top 4, etc etc"

He goes on about calling europe was too ambitous last year, it wasn't at all. A poor start ended that hope for us. We lost games against the likes of Newcastle and WBA at home because we did not compete, we stunk the place out. The manager has to take responsibility for that, as do the players, I for one am not going to accept anywhere around the top half is good enough. I want us attacking teams, having a right go, playing with tempo, pace, energy, pressing high up the pitch. We have international class players all over the field. Not accepting this off a player I have a lot of respect for, he's better than that.

Matt I think the problem is the fact he has come out and stated this, one week before kick off when you should be rallying the troops, "there isn't a team that can beat us on our day, why shouldn't we aim for top 4, etc etc"

He goes on about calling europe was too ambitous last year, it wasn't at all. A poor start ended that hope for us. We lost games against the likes of Newcastle and WBA at home because we did not compete, we stunk the place out. The manager has to take responsibility for that, as do the players, I for one am not going to accept anywhere around the top half is good enough. I want us attacking teams, having a right go, playing with tempo, pace, energy, pressing high up the pitch. We have international class players all over the field. Not accepting this off a player I have a lot of respect for, he's better than that.

completely agree with this.

However, im thinking theres a little reverse psychology goin on here, because lets face it, the past several seasons we (and all the media) have been thinkin Europe, Top 4 etc and weve bottled it in the first few weeks. Maybe approaching the season without the mental pressure might work? Time will tell.....

completely agree with this.

However, im thinking theres a little reverse psychology goin on here, because lets face it, the past several seasons we (and all the media) have been thinkin Europe, Top 4 etc and weve bottled it in the first few weeks. Maybe approaching the season without the mental pressure might work? Time will tell.....

There may be something in that, Moyes would do well to create a siege mentality.

I just feel that the soundbites that the fans are getting are a joke, Neville alone drives me to dispair.

We have the players in the squad to compete at the top level if all can stay fit, and competing is what they should be doing.

Our team is full of International players, and top class professionals, so for players to not be thinking about winning the title is preposterous. We could do with a bigger squad for sure, but we're only allowed 25 anyway, and our 25 is one of the best 25 in the league.

If you aim foor the title, you might just end up with a European place, but aiming solely for a European place will end in disappointment.

Fans don't want to hear negativeness from players, and don't want to hear players settling, and basically saying "oh well".

It's the fans right to accept a situation. It is not the right of the players.

As a fan, I'm quite happy to enjoy football, and not necessarily worry too much if we don't win everything in sight, and I've expressed that in other posts, but I expect the attitude of the players to be absolutely focused, and settling for what you have is not what the players should be doing.

Painting yourself as underdogs doesn't exactly put the fear of God into the opponent. The key is to let others decide who the underdog is, and instead make your opponents wish they'd stayed at home.

Too many old players in our squad. Not hungry enough for my liking.

08 Aug 2011 15:14:15

Debt for equity deal, rumour from accountancy firm insider, claims to have seen doc's refering to due diligence. So don't know facts directly, just hope it's true, but credible, bill would still have his train set. It's an indivdual, not a group, or so i'm told.

08 Aug 2011 14:59:33

Everton scouts seen watching Beram Kayal and Gary Hooper, aparently very interested in a double swoop. Not 100% sure if it's true, also heard that surprise surprise Spurs are interested too.

Steve EFC Twitter: @SteveBiggert

08 Aug 2011 10:12:00

the "take over " is in fact a debt for equity deal. will leave bk in place, but less control. not great but will put us in a better place with more room to move in the market. ps new invester will have first option, at fixed price for full control.

We have the players in the squad to compete at the top level if all can stay fit, and competing is what they should be doing.

Our team is full of International players, and top class professionals, so for players to not be thinking about winning the title is preposterous. We could do with a bigger squad for sure, but we're only allowed 25 anyway, and our 25 is one of the best 25 in the league.

If you aim foor the title, you might just end up with a European place, but aiming solely for a European place will end in disappointment.

Fans don't want to hear negativeness from players, and don't want to hear players settling, and basically saying "oh well".

It's the fans right to accept a situation. It is not the right of the players.

As a fan, I'm quite happy to enjoy football, and not necessarily worry too much if we don't win everything in sight, and I've expressed that in other posts, but I expect the attitude of the players to be absolutely focused, and settling for what you have is not what the players should be doing.

Painting yourself as underdogs doesn't exactly put the fear of God into the opponent. The key is to let others decide who the underdog is, and instead make your opponents wish they'd stayed at home.

Too many old players in our squad. Not hungry enough for my liking.

Come on , really???

If Cahill had have come out and said this is our year were going to win the league he would have been laughed out of town. people would think hed had been mixing crack with his Tooheys

I cant beleive the negative reaction to that article. Its not like he has come out and said that the players arent going to be putting in anything less than 100% is it?

All he is saying is that the wait of expectation has been removed from around their necks and that they might just surprise a few poeple. I agree with him totally

Everyone was tipping us for great things last season and as a result the "lesser teams" just came to Goodison and parked the bus. If those teams beleive all this shite about our great demise then maybe they will come and have a go

As much as I beleived people were talking through their arses last summer by tipping us for the top 4, I think all the doom and gloom now is equally prepeosterous

Come on , really???

If Cahill had have come out and said this is our year were going to win the league he would have been laughed out of town. people would think hed had been mixing crack with his Tooheys

I cant beleive the negative reaction to that article. Its not like he has come out and said that the players arent going to be putting in anything less than 100% is it?

All he is saying is that the wait of expectation has been removed from around their necks and that they might just surprise a few poeple. I agree with him totally

Everyone was tipping us for great things last season and as a result the "lesser teams" just came to Goodison and parked the bus. If those teams beleive all this shite about our great demise then maybe they will come and have a go

As much as I beleived people were talking through their arses last summer by tipping us for the top 4, I think all the doom and gloom now is equally prepeosterous

Yep, all the rallying gets on my titties to be honest.

He didn't 'have' to say 'anything' but for me, this time his statement just reminds me of a player who is a little too comfortable. They're professional players, not amateurs. Strictly speaking, every team in the league should be good enough to win the league. It's not like they've only just started to kick a ball round. Every pro should be confident. It's their job to compete after all, and not to admit defeat.

and barton would do what? come out..give it the big one..and all is well with the club then..hip hip hoo fuckin ray

really don't get the big fuss with this..as duncan said what if he had come out and said we're gonna win the lot they'd have told him fuck off...now he's comin out sayin expectations are a bit lower cos of the lack of money which maybe not be the best choice of words but he has a point! current state we can't expect top 4..not a good state but nothin tim can do about it by giving a soundbite sayin everythin is fluffy

Edited by marcopaulo

too right marco ;-) he'd be on twitter telling tom huddleston to get the fuck out of the midfield before someone gets hurt, telling modric he'll be begging to go to chelsea when he's finished with him, and whichever defenders arent already injured - will be!