IGNORED

Burkina Faso player case

The manager of Burkina Faso's national team has been picking players who are not Burkinabe but are married to Burkinabe women. When you marry Burkinabe women you are entitled to citizenship, but this doesn't meet FIFA's requirements for player eligibility.

One such player played in two wins over Namibia during Africa Cup of Nations qualifers, Namibia made a complaint to CAF (African UEFA equivalent) and the decision on whether to punish Faso has been delayed.

Potentially, Namibia could be given the six points that Faso took from them, qualifying at their expense.

Don't be a Burkinabe wannabe if you wanna be in that team!

Bit of an oversight there eh?

Sounds like a genuine error of just assuming if you have citizenship you're ok.

That said, I know Africa's not Europe, but surely at a national level, such rules would be known?

I blame Blatter, he's at the head of it all - the buck stops with him!

• 3 months later...

It's not a FIFA problem..It's a CAF problem, they twice rejected Namibia's complaint (unfairly imo) before Namibia took their case to CAS in Lausanne. CAF should be checking whether player's are eligible before they participate.

Burkina Faso have now had 3 players withdrawn from the squad on the grounds they are not eligible.

Nii Plange (Ghanaia)

Herve Zengue (Cameroonian)

Stéphane Agbré (Ivorian)

Why is it I can know the rules yet the Portugese manager of the national team doesn't? wink.png

The decision will be made today as to whether Namibia will be awarded Burkina Faso's points.