IGNORED

Neil Armstrong 1930-2012

Dalziel Kane

Big news for some, and only got news of this a half hour ago but Neil Armstrong has died at the age of 82 in Columbus Ohio, after previous surgery for heart problems that developed into complications.

First man on the moon, although conspiracy theorists will argue long and hard that the July 1969 landings never occured.

I was never so skeptical on this, and would like to give my regards to Neil's family and closest friends after this recent passing. One of the most iconic names in (outer) world history is no longer with us, and this after the recent passing too of Sally Ride, the first american woman in space. These two deaths are eerily close to each other for me, although of course it's merely a coincidence. We lost another truly great pioneer of space exploration today. RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19381098

One of those (fortunate) people who will be remembered for all time (or, as long as there is a human race). The moon landings seem so long ago; sad the space programs lost their ambition. As a boy, they absolutely fired my imagination. To have actually walked on another planet and looked back at insignificant, old Earth must really have put things in perspective.

One of those (fortunate) people who will be remembered for all time (or, as long as there is a human race). The moon landings seem so long ago; sad the space programs lost their ambition. As a boy, they absolutely fired my imagination. To have actually walked on another planet and looked back at insignificant, old Earth must really have put things in perspective.

Agree with the sentiment but, peing pedantic, the moon is a moon and not a planetsmile.png .

We can't castigate people for thinking the Moon is not a planet, it's an easy made error, just as with the Sun is a Star, and not a planet.

I remember the occasion in question, damn knows how many people around the world tuned in that day to see the landing in '69, it's one of those events in history you can say where you were at the time of incident such as Kennedy, Lennon or Millenium Night.

Of course many people will argue to this day about the authenticity of the landings by Armstrong and Aldrin, how they were staged in a studio somewhere in Arizona or Nevada but I never had any reason to be skeptical, it was a perfectly plausible venture by the end of the 1960s

(In all honesty ,The moon landings actually were faked - here is the undisputable evidence) ...

http://stuffucanuse....on_landings.htm

I had an old annual from about 1979 that had a feature that included - 'Moon bases 30/40 years from now where civilizations could live and adapt almost as easily as back on earth' It said - 'Although a city such as this is unlikely to happen in our immediate future, there is every opportunity our great grandchildren could be born on the Moon and live in it's pollution free atmosphere'

Still waiting on that prophecy..

It's something I'll never see, but maybe just possible for our youngest participants, but even now, still seems a bit of a distant reality. I would have enjoyed something like that, no piece of shit TV channels, news publications, sports presenters, inconsiderate road users, seagulls, mosquitoes, library "workers", or ASDA stores, the list is endless, but I guess I'd even get fed up after about a week or so, but it would have been a nice vacation for a short time without question.

• 3 weeks later...