IGNORED

Stupid football players and their crazyness

A thread about the stupid things football players do every now and then.

Like Jonathan Legear, who couldnt find Le Gear and drove his porsche straight into a conveniance store. "I will pay for everything" which amounts to 200 000 pounds. Spoilt players and their toys. He risks jail.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/belgian-midfielder-jonathan-legear-crashes-car-gas-station-174524374--sow.html

One thing I remember was some of the Chelsea snides over in the US a few weeks after the World Trade Center attacks in 2001. It was Terry for sure, and one or two others, maybe Lampard, and there were some families involved and basically what occured were said players got themselves a little too inebriated and took it upon themselves to make fun of the incident and berate the people present, it's something I remember vividly at the time. I don't like them as it is, but if I had been there, Terry and his fellow morons would have been laughing on the other sides of their faces. That's just one example.

Also years ago, some goalkeeper dropped a bottle of salad dressing on their toes and was out for some time, think it may have been Beasant.

Can we add the Hughes incident, i.e. went out DUI and killed someone on his way home. Was given a significant sentence but lo and behold was released after only about serving a third of the time, if that.

I.e. - 'stupid football players and their crazyness', and there you have some examples.

Also years ago, some goalkeeper dropped a bottle of salad dressing on their toes and was out for some time, think it may have been Beasant.

Im fairly sure it was a bottle of perfume? Cant remember who it was tho.

There was a swedish player called Corneliusson who cut himself while slicing cucumber and apparently was so badly injured that he was out for a while.

Edit* yep, out for 6 weeks

Edit 2* we were both right, Santiago Carizares, spanish goalie, injured himself when he dropped a bottle of perfume. Beasant broke his toe on a sallad bowl

Edited by Peter H

Im fairly sure it was a bottle of perfume? Cant remember who it was tho.

There was a swedish player called Corneliusson who cut himself while slicing cucumber and apparently was so badly injured that he was out for a while.

Edit* yep, out for 6 weeks

Edit 2* we were both right, Santiago Carizares, spanish goalie, injured himself when he dropped a bottle of perfume. Beasant broke his toe on a sallad bowl

Yeah it was Canizares, it was a couple of weeks before a WC as well if I recall correctly. He was set to be Spain's number one for the tournament...

There was a Portuguese player playing in the Switzerland who lost his finger while celebrating a goal. His wedding ring got caught in the fence he had climbed to celebrate with the fans, and he didn't notice it when jumping back down... You can imagine the rest. Ouch.

He was booked as well for taking too long with his "celebration". True story!

http://www.guardian....wsstory.sport12

Edited by Fearthainn

Quoting the above reminded me of the time when Argentina's first choice goalkeeper did something similar, but it happened on a nail in the crossbar, was out for some time because of it. Maybe it wasn't crazy and Nery Pumpido wasn't necessarily a stupid player, quite smart in fact if you remember Mexico 86, but thought worth an inclusion after reading the above.

The Beasant incident was 'salad dressing' I am sure of it, broke a bone in his toe, should have been wearing some of those industrial boots at the time.

Had to mention the Tony Adams incident after the League Cup Final in 1993 when he had one of the other players on his shoulders, said player fell off and broke his arm and was out for some time, it was quite a famous incident at the time.

I cut and pasted some more crazy stories I found -

2. Santiago Canizares

Similar story to Beasant except, as if to emphasise the cultural divide between England and Spain, the offending item was a bottle of aftershave rather than a condiment! A stray piece of glass from the bottle severed a tendon in the keeper’s toe forcing him to miss the 2002 World Cup.

3. Darren Barnard

In a similar story to Lawrence, the Barnsley man was ruled out for five months with knee ligament damage after slipping over in a puddle of his puppy’s urine.

4. Chic Brodie

Another canine caper. The Brentford goalkeeper’s career was ended in October 1970 when a dog ran onto the pitch and collided with him. His kneecap was shattered and he had to hang-up his gloves.

5. Svein Grondalen

Putting the dog situation into perspective, the Norwegian international missed a match in the 1970s after colliding with a moose while out jogging.

6. Perry Groves

The Arsenal substitute knocked himself unconcious when he jumped up to celebrate a goal and headbutted the dugout.

7. Alan Wright

The pint-sized left-back strained his knee as he struggled to reach the accelerator in his Ferrari. He famously downgraded to a Rover 416 shortly afterwards!

8. David Batty

The former Leeds midfielder suffered a relapse of an old achilles problem when his toddler rode into the back of his ankle on a tricycle.

9. Kevin Kyle

The then Sunderland striker spent a night in hospital with scalded testicles. The big Scot had been preparing to feed his baby when the youngster knocked a jug of boiling water being used to heat a bottle into his father’s lap. A Sunderland insider remarked at the time that the striker was “walking like John Wayne”.

10. Darius Vassell

While at Aston Villa, the England international decided to put the DIY into DIY surgery when he used a power drill to cut through his toenail and drain a blister. He managed to pick up a nasy infection in the process.

: - /

I remember another celebration incident involving arsenal or is it the same one mentioned above. An american player that broke his arm celebrating?

Edit* the one DK is quoting was Morrow. Hes from northern ireland isnt he? I think i remember an incident with an american braking his arm celebrating or am i remembering wrong? Anyone?

Edited by Peter H