IGNORED

O'sullivan quits snooker

I don't watch snooker much or any such game, but O Sullivan is/ was a good player, did the quickest ever 147 clearance in Sheffield in 1997 I remember, and it still hasn't been broken, World Champion two or three times, and a glut of other honors and awards in the sport.

Sadly only let down by some questionable behavior and bizarre moments in his career. I think he saw himself as a modern day Alex Higgins with regards to that, but never even came close.

I don't watch snooker much or any such game, but O Sullivan is/ was a good player, did the quickest ever 147 clearance in Sheffield in 1997 I remember, and it still hasn't been broken, World Champion two or three times, and a glut of other honors and awards in the sport.

Sadly only let down by some questionable behavior and bizarre moments in his career. I think he saw himself as a modern day Alex Higgins with regards to that, but never even came close.

Alex Higgins was a tidy player in his day, but the game has moved on a little since then Dalziel, and the modern pros are much stronger. To compare the 2 players is like comparing an E-type Jaguar to a Bugatti Veyron. O'sullivan is one of a kind, and we'll probably never see another like it. I watched the guy in the qualifiers at 16 years of age, and he was light years ahead of most players already, and when you consider his father was convicted and jailed for murder at around the same time, just when he probably needed him most, it's an incredible achievement that he held it together for as long as he did.

It's easy for folk to critisise, but the guy is a true sporting genius, and he deserves a little more sympathy than he seems to get. For anybody to suggest he needs the attention is simply nonesensical.

I wouldn't even put O Sullivan as a legend of the game, he can't be put in the same category as past names like Steven Davis, that Scottish person of the 1990s, Hendry I think, Reardon or John Pulman. I think he gets more attention because of his sometimes bizarre behavior or sayings, the other players just went about their business quietly and got on with it. O Sullivan makes a rod for his own back sometimes the way he goes, or went about his business. But still a fine player, and he has had his problems. That can be appreciated.

I wouldn't even put O Sullivan as a legend of the game, he can't be put in the same category as past names like Steven Davis, that Scottish person of the 1990s, Hendry I think, Reardon or John Pulman. I think he gets more attention because of his sometimes bizarre behavior or sayings, the other players just went about their business quietly and got on with it. O Sullivan makes a rod for his own back sometimes the way he goes, or went about his business. But still a fine player, and he has had his problems. That can be appreciated.

Why can't he be put in the same category?

Snooker is a dying sport. It is desperate for people to embrace it so much, that it even changes the game itself. The boring bastards who are the governing bodies are the ones who killed it, with their snooty traditions and outdated approach.

For years, it was all about keeping the top earners happy, and ensuring they remained at the top. They opened the doors, took everybody's cash, and then closed them again, in terms of qualification etc. The game needs personalities like O'sullivan. It needs it's bit of scandal more than it needs talent. Nobody cares if anybody knocks a 147 in anymore. It's too easy now, as players are so good. They care more about controversy, and rebellion.

As for players 'going about their business quietly', there have been plenty of players over the years who've rocked the boat one way or another, from drug taking, to common assault, to match fixing etc etc, including the Scotsman you couldn't recall.

O'sullivan won't be the first guy to hang up his cue, but he'll be the first guy that was miles better than the rest, but no longer wanted it.

Sullivan is a bit too manic, while the other players went about their work with a more phlegmatic attitude or relaxed demeanor.

The kid always seemed in a rush, whizzing around tables and in a hurry..

There's nothing personal with him though. Good player, wish him well, but wasn't a favorite player of mine.

Came out with some bizarre incidents in the past..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/mar/27/snooker.davidhendon