IGNORED

mid 80s EFC question

paul

never heard that chant at all,but i do know we were the first to sing we shall not be moved,on our cup run in 66 up untill we won it.

That was the entrance music to Big Daddy wasn't it ?

I wasn't aware we were the first to sing that, maybe we should start that again for the Oldham replay and see what happens if it worked in 66.

To the initial query, it seems unlikely as we weren't even Champions of Europe that year, Juventus of Turin took that honor, and it's something I fail to recognize either. Champions of Rotterdam would have been better.

We were only champions of England in 1985 - nothing more I'm afraid

(tried to post this three times now damn it)

I remember the music of the time but wasn't a fan of the band in question. I could only name or two of their releases and We shall not be moved, wouldn't have been one of them. But the bottom line on this issue once again is, the initial chant couldn't have been used, unless one or two of our supporters couldn't make a distinction between England and Europe.

For example, Swansea City fans leaving London today, would not have been singing 'we are the champions of the world' you understand.

Now that I think about it, and while relevant to this issue, isn't it true that what we won in 1985 was indeed 'The Liverpool cup' in that the shite won the 1984 European Cup and the subsequent ECWC competition was dedicated to them ? I don't like to think about it, but it's what the competition title suggested.

Dalziel you've lost me now,us winning the cup winners cup had no reference to the shite as you call them.org was about us winning a trophy,which at the time was accepted as a big competition.

I've called them worse than that, but seriously if you look at it -

1984 European Cup winners - Liverpool - right ?

1984/85 'European Cup winners' Cup tournament - we won that competition, see what I'm getting at ?

But as mentioned it's probably nothing and not the actual concept of the competition but that's how some will read it as.

I.E. Tottenham 1963 - Benfica cup, Manchester City 1970 - Milan Cup, Aberdeen 1983 - Aston Villa cup, Arsenal 1994 - Marseille cup, Chelsea 1998 - Dortmund cup and so on.

Maybe it's best they scrapped the damn thing in the end to avoid any further confusion.

1984 European Cup winners - Liverpool - right ?

1984/85 'European Cup winners' Cup tournament - we won that competition, see what I'm getting at ?

Don't know about patto but I've not got a cluehuh.png .

There was no connection whatsoever between the European Cup and the ECWC....one was for the previous season's champions, the other for the previous season's cup winners. Liverpool had fuck all to do with our win so why in the world would it be called the Liverpool Cup?

It was indeed playing the cup final just three days after the win in Rotterdam that did it, but I remember United manager Atkinson saying at the time "They're (Everton) complaining about having to play so soon after midweek, but we had a much harder game (midweek) at Watford than they did" (in the Netherlands)

We were better than them for sure as illustrated by the comprehensive win in the charity shield that august, not to mention the little 5 - 0 win over them earlier that season, but as mentioned, the endeavors of the Vienna game, and what had been a very long season proved a little too much in the end. If we had been given a couple extra days after Rotterdam to play them I'm sure we would have done the treble that year, but it's no good crying over spilt milk, as with the subsequent ban on english clubs in Europe and what we could have done.

It was indeed the ECWC and not the CWC incidentally, as that's how I've always recognized it, with the 'European' first. as the below article illustrates.

http://www.evertonfc.com/history/european-cup-winners-cup-1985.html