IGNORED

Tim Howard's broken two bones in his back - out for a month

Louis

US media slideshow showing the incident: http://americansoccernow.com/articles/tim-howard-has-broken-back-will-miss-qualifiers

Everton’s dual hopes of winning the FA Cup and challenging for a European place via the Barclays Premier League have suffered a setback after it emerged that Tim Howard has broken two bones in his back.

Howard will miss today’s sixth-round FA Cup tie against Wigan Athletic and is unlikely to be available for the next month after the extent of his injury was discovered. His absence means that Jan Mucha, who has made only eight appearances — seven of them in the League Cup— for Everton since joining from Legia Warsaw three years ago, will take over in goal.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/everton/article3709146.ece

Here's what David Moyes had to say:

"Tim is out. He has broken two bones in his back. We don't think he will be out for the season - he just needs time to heal and if everything goes well he could be back in fortnight," the Blues boss explained.

"He did incredibly well to play on against Oldham, because it is a painful injury. I thought their player took him out when the goalkeeper jumped for the ball. He went under him. When Tim fell, he toppled over him like a tree.

"He has two fractures, but they are not the bones which are supporting anything, it is off the spine. They are not weight bearing.

"It is not like a pure fracture where we need to wait to look at it. It is a question of whether he can cope with the pain because the bones will heal themselves, but it's not good."

Mucha hasn't had many opportunities to shine at Goodison, here's his big opportunity. Remember, he's been in the top squad since his arrival and trains with the squad so it's not like he and the defence never play together. He may well rise to the occasion as many in his situation do. What he don't need is naysayers condemning the guy before perhaps the club's biggest game of the past couple of seasons. He needs confidence and let's face it he has to at least be better than Howard at controlling the 6-yard box and getting up for crosses....we all know that Howard can't do either.

C'mon Jan me boy, show 'em what you can do!

COYB!

Something weird about injuring yourself a few games before breaking Southalls record.

Not really, you saw what happened to him and I don't think that Moyes would leave his main goalkeeper out of such an important cup game, The 'theory' that Howard isn't allowed to break Southall's record isn't up for question IMO.

Mucha hasn't had many opportunities to shine at Goodison, here's his big opportunity. Remember, he's been in the top squad since his arrival and trains with the squad so it's not like he and the defence never play together. He may well rise to the occasion as many in his situation do. What he don't need is naysayers condemning the guy before perhaps the club's biggest game of the past couple of seasons. He needs confidence and let's face it he has to at least be better than Howard at controlling the 6-yard box and getting up for crosses....we all know that Howard can't do either.

C'mon Jan me boy, show 'em what you can do!

COYB!

Admittedly I havent seen much of Mucha but from what little I have seen I get the impression he couldnt catch a cold