IGNORED

Anders Limpar pranked (1997)

Louis

I did watch some of it, (no sense in a wasted thread) but it was a bit of a muddle and in Swedish of all things. Not a language I ever studied. Watched some more and still no clearer a picture. Worth mentioning, while the opportunity presents itself, Limpar could feasibly be a club legend as he played a pivotal part in the last day escape of 1994, and was a little excited when we got him earlier that year as I realized he was a flair player but one or two moments aside, it never really worked out for him. Don't recall him at international level in any of the big tournaments either.

I love that prank, its a classic in Sweden. Mainly because he really believes that it happened. For real, ive seen interviews with him where he really is embarrassed by it but admits that he thought it was real.

Dont agree with DK on this one. Limpar was a great player. Sure, a little uneven and Everton didnt get to see the best of him. Sweden didnt have a great national team when Limpar was at his best in the beginning of the 90's and he was on the way out when sweden took the bronze at the 94 world cup. (a tournament that saw a new star born in Henrik Larsson)

I love that prank, its a classic in Sweden. Mainly because he really believes that it happened. For real, ive seen interviews with him where he really is embarrassed by it but admits that he thought it was real.

Dont agree with DK on this one. Limpar was a great player. Sure, a little uneven and Everton didnt get to see the best of him. Sweden didnt have a great national team when Limpar was at his best in the beginning of the 90's and he was on the way out when sweden took the bronze at the 94 world cup. (a tournament that saw a new star born in Henrik Larsson)

One of my favourite players at the time, exciting player (as was Larsson!)

Edited by Matt

I bet Limpar wishes he could go back in time. Granted, was never going to be a legends player, but big things were expected when he linked up with Kanchelskis in midfield, but only short lived. Wasn't appreciated by the other players on his arrival in 1994 and took a while to get settled, but had more of less fitted in by the FA cup win the year after. (obvious non-penalty for the first goal against Wimbledon on the escape afternoon)

Sweden had a good side in the early 1990s and reached two semi-finals in consecutive tournaments, but while Brolin, Dahlin, Andersson, and (I can't think of many more), and Tomas Ravelli (the goalkeeper ?), were the names to be recognized, Limpar never really was involved much from what I can remember. Pity really as he was a player that maybe deserved more

Zetterberg was a star at the time. Which Andersson do you mean? Patrik Andersson was brilliant, later went on to (amongst other things) win the CL with Bayern.

Kenneth Andersson scored the most goals in Italy one year. Scored a blinder vs Brazil in the 94 campaign.

You should remember Alexandersson. Later played for Everton.

You left out Blomqvist who won the tripple with man utd.

Yes Kennett Andersson from USA 94. Tall blond striker if I remember, played a pivotal part in that years squad success. I don't remember Patrik Andersson too well. Of course remember Alexandersson, scored against England in the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan. But not a player that lived long in the memory either for Sweden or Everton. I wouldn't have imagined that Blomqvist (I wouldn't have known the spelling), would have been involved until Euro 96 at the earliest but then again don't think Sweden were even involved in that, or even France 98 ? Getting in a tangle now, so going to leave it.

I was 9 at the time of USA 94 and it's the first major tournament I remember watching. Portugal were poor back then so Sweden were my team for the tournament (I really liked blonde girls from an early age :D). I remember staying up quite late to watch their epic match against Romania. Anyway this thread brought back some memories with the mention of some of those names!

I was 9 at the time of USA 94 and it's the first major tournament I remember watching. Portugal were poor back then so Sweden were my team for the tournament (I really liked blonde girls from an early age biggrin.png). I remember staying up quite late to watch their epic match against Romania. Anyway this thread brought back some memories with the mention of some of those names!

2002 was my first World Cup. I still have the DVD with all the highlights from each game on it, I still dig it out now and give it a watch!

• 2 years later...