IGNORED

Benteke injured

I feel very bad for Benteke; he's out for a long time with an Achilles injury. I was looking forward to seeing his performance in the world cup this summer (and this will perhaps put more eyes/offers on Lukaku).

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/03/christian-benteke-suffers-achilles-injury-aston-villa-belgium-world-cup

Yak wasnt the same player for us. But he still scored a fair few for Blackburn after us. I wouldnt say its a potential career ruining injury, as bad as it is.

Its bad enough to turn a great player into an average one, especially one that relies on pace.

Biggest one was John Barnes - completely had to change his game from being a winger to a deeper player.

Mark Lawrenson relied on pace - lost it and retired.

Horrible injury - cruel one.

Its bad enough to turn a great player into an average one, especially one that relies on pace.

Biggest one was John Barnes - completely had to change his game from being a winger to a deeper player.

Mark Lawrenson relied on pace - lost it and retired.

Horrible injury - cruel one.

I'd say a lot of bad injuries can do that to a player. As any bad injury can affect you more mentally than physically, I'm not really old enough to remember Barnes or Lawrenson's career but i agree with you that these injuries can affect players with pace a lot more.

I dont see Benteke as a striker that relies on pace though. I dont think he's slow but i wouldnt say he was quick personally. He's very similar to Lukaku in that he relies on strength and positioning to get him his goals. I hope it doesnt affect him too much anyway as he's a good player and still pretty young, isnt he like 23?

Guest Nikica

Gutted to hear this - I don't like to see any player miss a World Cup through injury. I dislike Beckham, for example, but I was disappointed for him when he missed playing in South Africa.

Anyway, hopefully this won't affect Benteke too much and he can get back to his best. The comments above about this particular injury are correct, but I agree with GoodisonRoad in that Benteke is more about strength and positioning than pace. He's still young so hopefully it doesn't harm his career too much.

There will probably be a few more casualties between now and June, unfortunately.