IGNORED

Article from the irish examiner

Wake up and smell the coffee, David!

By Alan Green

ALL SUPPORTERS love to dream of success, particularly at the dawn of a new season, and the media generally loves to feed those dreams.

That's why you see headlines such as "We Are The New Invincibles" over arrogant ramblings by John Terry and read claims from Gary Neville that Manchester United can go through the campaign unbeaten. The players should know better.

But nowhere is in more need of a hearty dose of reality than Everton Football Club. No sooner had they finished 4th in May, principally due to a wretched league season from Liverpool, than David Moyes was pronouncing his team the "New Kings of Merseyside."

You'd have thought such delusions wouldn't last beyond a certain night in Istanbul, but no.

Amidst many ludicrous statements pre-season (see also Peter Kenyon's "small group of one"), I thought that of Moyes topped the lot "our target is to finish higher than last season."

I think he should see a doctor.

And then I read the programme for Everton's opening fixture against Manchester United. It advertised "superb Everton v Villarreal t-shirts (with Everton in Europe logo and map on the back). We have some left in stock and they are a 'must wear' item for supporters on the night of the 2nd leg, wherever you are in the world."

I wouldn't rush to buy one at £8.99; they'll be on sale at a fraction of that price in just over a week's time.

They talk big at Everton; the truth is harsher. All summer, there have been boasts of how much they have to spend, the players they're after and who wants to go to Goodison. I even saw James Beattie interviewed about how 'new signing' Milan Baros would fit in alongside him.

Sorry, have I missed something? Instead, the reality is that Everton have bought Per Kroldrup, a defender I hadn't heard of, and two players clearly discarded by their clubs, Simon Davies and Phil Neville.

Isn't it so that no one really wanted to join a team who'd performed beyond their wildest dreams for one season and are now likely to drop back where they'd come from? Not even Craig Bellamy who changed his mind after talking to the manager. Nice one, Dave.

Moyes should be dampening expectations, not feeding them. He should be relieved that he managed to persuade his best players, Tim Cahill and Mikel Arteta to stay on.

He should be telling supporters to think of a top 10 finish at best, not speaking of third place or better.

Everton supporters can dream but they're not fools. Moyes says his team didn't get what they deserved against Villarreal. Most everyone else knows better. The Spanish side controlled the game without having to exert themselves. It will require a miracle to reach the group stages.

You see, their eyes were so dazzled by the headlights they failed to comprehend they hadn't actually qualified for the Champions League, only for a qualifying round.

And Manchester United, apart from one superb save by Edwin Van Der Sar, were in easy command of Saturday's game.

Most dishearteningly for advocates of the so-called 'School of Science', when Everton failed to trouble Fergie's men they quickly resorted to their standard 'Plan B', bring on Duncan Ferguson and lump the ball forward. Inevitably, it failed.

Evertonians may dream on but trust me; normal service has resumed at Goodison Park.

Alan Green grrrr  :angry:

While I don't like reading the stuff put out by "knockers", I have to admit that in one respect Alan Green was right.

There are some fundamental changes needed in team tactics - but these can only be brought about by bringing in players who are good enough to implement them.

Both manure & Villareal were BETTER TEAMS than us, but it is obviously very

difficult to bring in good players who only see last season's result as a one-off that won't be repeated.

The part of Green's article that REALLY rankled was the bit about Bellamy not choosing US! My understanding of the whole affair was that he talked with DM and following that, DM decided not to make an offer. Therefore Bellend had to go to Blackburn who were the only club left with an offer on the table!

If anything went right for us during the summer it was that we DIDN'T sign THAT

gobby little troll!

Guest fozzie22

The way things are turning out,i would have to agree with the article,

He's not to everyones taste mr Green,but he says it as he see's it,i mean come on,who,honestly had heard of Koldrup?i know i hadnt

obviously green is something of an ignoramus. he hasnt done his research properly, or at all!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ton/4668911.stm

"And while Moyes says they must build on that platform, he is also realistic enough to appreciate how hard it could be to achieve.

"Everton have spent a lot of time just surviving over the years so it will take a while to shrug that off," he added.

"We can't suddenly build a squad overnight and become a top-six side every season - it will take time."

sounds like moyes has very realistic expectations.

The only thing that we can do is wait til the end of the season and see where we end up.

Everyone thinks we will slip up again (and I have to be honest do have my doubts but not to a degree of the season before last) however in the 3 years DM has been here you could say that the only slip up was finihsing 17 as the other seasons we finish 7 and 4.

Time will tell but am sure if we lose to Bolton on Sunday then everyone will be saying that we will be relegated.

Guest fozzie22

I still like the man,as i said he says what he see's

Honestly we will be lucky to finish anywhere near 4th again,and he's hit the nail on the head about the CL,it looks like a UEFA run for us.

And as for signings,well we've hardly pushed the boat out have we?

You have to agree with some sections and disagree aswell.

I cant see Moyes saying what is quoted he knows we over achived last season, however he has improved the squad Kouldrup is rated very highly in Italy, Spurs wanted Davies to stay and Neville requested to move from UTD `Fergie would have liked to of kept him.

Dont get me wrong we still need a LB, LW and a striker but I think Moyes has people in mind depending on if we qual for CL or Uefa cup.

We will see.

I didnt like the tone of the article one bit as it sounded like a pi55 take on us but there are some harsh truths to that article , very harsh truths .

I think whilst we have improved the squad from last season and as a whole we are a better team it still needs improving alot more if we are to have any chance of challenging for European footy next season .

As scouse quite rightly pointed out we still need another left back ( Pistone is fookin woeful ) and we could desperatly do with a striker , not just to make up the numbers whilst BT is out but to play alongside BT when he returns from injury .

I've said all along i dont expect us to do as well this year as people can see us coming now and i'd be chuffed if we could sneak a UEFA Cup place but its gonna be a massive task .

I'am certainly not gonna fool myself that all is well at EFC because it clearly isn't but i can perk myself up with the fact its nowhere near as bad as this time last year .

All the pundits had to wait and wait and wait last season for us to slip up and it never came. They so wanted to knock us down and say we told u so, u are lucky now but it wont last, but it did last and we finsished 4th. We played well against Villareal but they punished us with their only 2 attacks, maybe we are inexperienced in Europe but sorry, we can only learn by playing against Euro teams.

All the 'I told u so's' are starting to come, I read an article after the Villa game about what a joke it was that we are in the champs league and we rightly got 'stuffed' in the first leg (was i watching a different game?).

How about well done Everton, you have achieved what 90% of the Prem League would love to achieve and youve done it without spending a penny, making a huge profit even. What are we supposed to do, a bit of optimism before the season starts isnt a reason to shoot us down nor is a loss against Man Utd when we deserved to be leading at half time instead of losing.

Give us a break and let us get on with it.

I'am certainly not gonna fool myself that all is well at EFC because it clearly isn't but i can perk myself up with the fact its nowhere near as bad as this time last year .

right. were in better shape but for the current injuries. i fancy our chances. we did over achieve last year but people seem to be ignorant of the fact that we under achieved the season before.

because of that theyve underestimated us.

we are better than they think.

the manu game was gifted to them. i hope that wont happen again.

there was a lack of fight in the second half and that bothers me, becuase our fighting spirit was incredible last year.

if moysey can restore that we'll have another great season. :P

i had heard of kroldrup when i saw a denemark game in euro 2004 and an AC milan match against udinese (of which was a very good game for kroldrup).

davies was liked with a move for united a few years ago.

neville. did they watch his oerformances lately

we dominated the villareal match and thier goals were the only chances of the game

I dont mind criticsm. Everton still have avery long way to go but compared to this time last year it is great. The problem with Green is that he is anasty Kopite who is incapable of looking at Everton objectively. Apparently he has loads of complaints sent into the BBC regarding his bias comments. Everton are entitled to crow a bit when we achieve something. It makes you wonder whether they are a bit worried across the park because on paper we shouldnt be able to touch them?

Guest fozzie22
i had heard of kroldrup when i saw a denemark game in euro 2004 and an AC milan match against udinese (of which was a very good game for kroldrup).

davies was liked with a move for united a few years ago.

neville. did they watch his oerformances lately

we dominated the villareal match and thier goals were the only chances of the game

We may have dominated the Villa game,but they took chances and they won,they played a european game,we played prem football,

Theres a massive difference.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0400eve...-name_page.html

Just read what the Echo had to say on the matter and from what ive seen this man Mr Green is a f~cking w@nker!! Those 2 words sum him up to a tee i believe, and as the article states and to make matters worse we pay this tosser his bloody wages!!! :angry:

Can't wait for him to be given a job commentating at Goodison, can i smack him first or will there be a queue???? B)