IGNORED

Beattie - What A Great Signing!

RuffRob

he has missed a lotta games and thats another bad sign, but it does make his goal scoring average better. every layoff is bad for a striker, he losed a bit of match sharpness.

no-one doubts that he's a hard worker, but he's paid for scoring goals and i think we're looking for around 20 a season from a top striker.

we'll have to wait and see how he finishes this season.

Sorry don't agree, you need to look more at the whole picture, the way Everton player, and Beattie's role upfront. Just becasue he is a striker, he is not just in the team to score goal.

Moyes has bought him to get his fair share of goals - and as our top scorer you have to say his doing this.

There are striker out there whos main purpose is to score goals, and can pretty much do little else all game. Beattie is not that type of striker he holds the ball up well and make chances for surporting midfeilders, so to this end he will get less of the chances as he is involved in other parts of the play. You can't be in two places at once.

So saying he is paid to score goals is slightly naive.

Sorry don't agree, you need to look more at the whole picture, the way Everton player, and Beattie's role upfront. Just becasue he is a striker, he is not just in the team to score goal.

Moyes has bought him to get his fair share of goals - and as our top scorer you have to say his doing this.

There are striker out there whos main purpose is to score goals, and can pretty much do little else all game. Beattie is not that type of striker he holds the ball up well and make chances for surporting midfeilders, so to this end he will get less of the chances as he is involved in other parts of the play. You can't be in two places at once.

So saying he is paid to score goals is slightly naive.

Agree with Rob here plus he has score 40% of our goals this season which isnt bad its not as if we as team are scoring a shed load of goals, tho beattie has contributed to this with some misses

Guest fozzie22

It was my understanding that we paid 6 mill for a goalscorer..so that arugument doesnt hold up.

He is(supposed) to be a professional so given that fact he should be able to adapt to any formation asked of him in a reasonble ammount of time..say 6-8 games..not take the best part opf a year to settle in.

And crowing about how he's scored 40% of evertons goals this season shows how poor we've been till recently.

It was my understanding that we paid 6 mill for a goalscorer..so that arugument doesnt hold up.

He is(supposed) to be a professional so given that fact he should be able to adapt to any formation asked of him in a reasonble ammount of time..say 6-8 games..not take the best part opf a year to settle in.

And crowing about how he's scored 40% of evertons goals this season shows how poor we've been till recently.

Come on Fozzie, we all know that he had niggling injury problems for the first 9 months at the club and just never got match fit - I am sure you are old and wise enough to know these sorts of things can happen to any player at any level and at any club- 'shIt happens' as they say. So to harp on about his fitness/contribution/form/goal scoring record during those first 9 months is really a bit old hat now - and you should really move on, Beattie has.

You say he paid £6.5M for a goal scorer, but you could say striker or even forward who gives more than goals to a team.

Moyes has bought (on purpose in my opinion) a FORWARD who provides more than just goals to a team, his work rate up front has been excellent for the team - but not as measurable as goals scored. Earnshaw scores goals, but as a forward player he is pants.

And what this about (suppossed) to be proffessional - Has he pi55ed you off personally somehow to be so down on him even after his consistency of performances since November. I would say this lad has a great attitude and I for one am glad he wears the blue shirt as he gives it his all in all the games he plays in.

You seem to have a bit of a grude against the lad, as if he picked up those injuries on purpose during his first 9 months at the club.

I have not been a beattie fan at all since he joined, although he has improved in recent weeks.....

I said when bent left that he would end the season with more goals than beattie and while that was asking a bit much (given beattie's headstart) I still think he will end up with as many from the time he joined charlton.....and although many will argue that this is either because charlton create more chances or because beattie has to often drop deeper, one could also argue that bent will have to share the goal's with, er, bent.....

so far, they have both scored 2 from 5 --- beattie's form has improved but so has bent's now that he is being given a chance.....

my point, is that beattie at 6 million or bent at 2.5 million, I'm still not totally convinced --- and bear in mind we cannot judge beattie on his future potential or golden spell at southampton. Thus far, he has not shown to be worth 6 million, probably half that.

Guest fozzie22
Come on Fozzie, we all know that he had niggling injury problems for the first 9 months at the club and just never got match fit - I am sure you are old and wise enough to know these sorts of things can happen to any player at any level and at any club- 'shIt happens' as they say. So to harp on about his fitness/contribution/form/goal scoring record during those first 9 months is really a bit old hat now - and you should really move on, Beattie has.

You say he paid £6.5M for a goal scorer, but you could say striker or even forward who gives more than goals to a team.

Moyes has bought (on purpose in my opinion) a FORWARD who provides more than just goals to a team, his work rate up front has been excellent for the team - but not as measurable as goals scored. Earnshaw scores goals, but as a forward player he is pants.

And what this about (suppossed) to be proffessional -  Has he pi55ed you off personally somehow to be so down on him even after his consistency of performances since November. I would say this lad has a great attitude and I for one am glad he wears the blue shirt as he gives it his all in all the games he plays in.

You seem to have a bit of a grude against the lad, as if he picked up those injuries on purpose during his first 9 months at the club.

As i've said a million times he was not fit when he signed

So why did we sign him????

And for 6 million they must have seen us coming from miles away.

As i've said a million times he was not fit when he signed

So why did we sign him????

And for 6 million they must have seen us coming from miles away.

If we didn't sign him when we did somebody else would have - No question. - and then you would be coming out with "Moyes dithering in the market again"

£6M was his market value at the time - that what anyone else would have had to pay - he is an experienced Premiership forward, who is also a grafter. A list of some of the money paid over the last couple of years for 'established' strikers in the Beattie bracket.

Cisse - £10M

Yakubu - £7.5M

Crouch - £7M

Ashton - £7.25M

Bellemy - £5M

Morientez -£6.5M

Defoe -£7M

Heskey - £6.5M

Drogba - £23M

I really don't see what you mean by - they saw us coming from miles away. Do you HONESTLY believe after what he produced of the previouse two year with Southampton in the Prem - Beattie is not in the bracket of the strikers above.

I know he wan't 100% fit when we bought him- but he was leaving Southampton in January 2005 whatever, and I for one am glad we didn't miss the boat on that transfer.

Bar none of the list above I think pound for pound he is the best player to fit in to the way Moyes's team play.

If we didn't sign him when we did somebody else would have - No question. - and then you would be coming out with "Moyes dithering in the market again"

£6M was his market value at the time - that what anyone else would have had to pay - he is an experienced Premiership forward, who is also a grafter. A list of some of the money paid over the last couple of years for 'established' strikers in the Beattie bracket.

Cisse - £10M

Yakubu - £7.5M

Crouch - £7M

Ashton - £7.25M

Bellemy - £5M

Morientez -£6.5M

Defoe -£7M

Heskey - £6.5M

Drogba - £23M

I really don't see what you mean by - they saw us coming from miles away. Do you HONESTLY believe after what he produced of the previouse two year with Southampton in the Prem - Beattie is not in the bracket of the strikers above.

I know he wan't 100% fit when we bought him- but he was leaving Southampton in January 2005 whatever, and I for one am glad we didn't miss the boat on that transfer.

Bar none of the list above I think pound for pound he is the best player to fit in to the way Moyes's team play.

Well put, i think Fozzie's on blob this week hopefully the hormones will have calmed down next week.

See the Fozzie post in Off Topic Discussions if you want to try and help him out :P

If we didn't sign him when we did somebody else would have - No question.

Villa and us had a gentlemens agreement that we both bid the same price and offer the same package to the player and leave it up to the player so that we dont get into a bidding war

We could have ashton for a couple of mill at the time of the bt transfer

I was waiting for that fozzie - Ashton was not a proven Premiership striker at that time - so I am afraid that argument hold no water - Now he's played less than 20 games in the Prem and scored a few goals over a very short period he is worth £7.5M.

You are not comparing apples with apples Fozzie, when you talk of his £3M transfer, you have to go on his latest transfer fee to compare him to Beattie.

All the players I listed and their fees where for stiker proven at the top level in their respective leagues (if from overseas). i.e the bracket Beattie is in.

Its like now comparing Robbie Keane vs Nugent as targets. Proven Keane for £6m or unproven Nugent for £3M.

Guest fozzie22
I was waiting for that fozzie -  Ashton was not a proven Premiership striker at that time - so I am afraid that argument hold no water - Now he's played less than 20 games in the Prem and scored a few goals over a very short period he is worth £7.5M.

You are not comparing apples with apples Fozzie, when you talk of his £3M transfer, you have to go on his latest transfer fee to compare him to Beattie.

All the players I listed and their fees where for stiker proven at the top level in their respective leagues (if from overseas). i.e the bracket Beattie is in.

Its like now comparing Robbie Keane vs Nugent as targets. Proven Keane for £6m or unproven Nugent for £3M.

Just a thought

Was Cahil proven premiership player when he joined?

Agree with Rob here plus he has score 40% of our goals this season...

unfortunately that says as much about our other 'strikers' as it does about BT!

weve still gotta negative goal record! thats not a great reference.

but he's putting in the effort and i hope he does get a lot more goals and a chance to get into the world cup.

Edited by java2001e

Hardly a shocker is it?

If BT carries on playing like that of late - then he could pip somebody to a world cup place - but its unlikely. He is a good player and he is finding his feet. Most of my RS mates would swap him for Morientes or crouch at the drop of a hat.

He is starting to impress and I think, when Moyes pulls the finger out and signs another striker, BT will come good.

Top quality!