Sign in to follow this  
jordan057

Shirt Colours

hello,

i'm an italian football fan and i'm interested at the origin of football teams

could you tell me about the origin of the Everton shirt?

why the club adopted blue and white colours?

thanks.

Gianfranco

Hi Franco ;)

I don't know why Everton chose blue and white shorts but they were first worn in 1901.

Originally It was blue/white stripes like but they were replaced with black because it was easier to clean. At one time Everton had a black and white kit which was copied into the form of a sweet called an 'Everton mint'.

product_everton_mints.jpg

http://www.historica...ton/Everton.htm

We even had a spell in red (1891-5). In fact in the first ever Merseyside derby in 1894 we played in red and Liverpool in blue (halved shirt...a la Blackburn/Bristol Rovers) :unsure: .

Think Louis did also when he posted the same link an hour ago (three posts up) :lol::lol::unsure: .

Hey Mikeo the shirts look sky blue in the picture in your signture...im guessing its an old picture with faded colors they're probably royal blue

Hi Franco ;)

I don't know why Everton chose blue and white shorts but they were first worn in 1901.

Originally It was blue/white stripes like but they were replaced with black because it was easier to clean. At one time Everton had a black and white kit which was copied into the form of a sweet called an 'Everton mint'.

Is that really true, about the sweets? Because I'd always heard it was unrelated to EFC, and the historical football kits site doesn't show a single black and white striped kit...

Hey Mikeo the shirts look sky blue in the picture in your signture...im guessing its an old picture with faded colors they're probably royal blue

Think you're probably right, if you compare it the one of Bally on the right there appears to be quite a difference. Shade does change over the years though....the current shirt is the palest it's been for a long time. 97-99 was the last one to be so light I think.

Think you're probably right, if you compare it the one of Bally on the right there appears to be quite a difference. Shade does change over the years though....the current shirt is the palest it's been for a long time. 97-99 was the last one to be so light I think.

I think there would be, the photo of dixie is black and white so i think somebody has put the colour in themselves.

...the photo of dixie is black and white so i think somebody has put the colour in themselves.

He wasn't talking about the Dixie shirt, he was talking about the team photo and I pointed out the apparent difference between that abd the AB one :mellow: .

He wasn't talking about the Dixie shirt, he was talking about the team photo and I pointed out the apparent difference between that abd the AB one :mellow: .

Yeah, i never read it properly. :rolleyes: