IGNORED

Pretty Football

jcrawfor

Amongst all the optimism and now disappointment surrounding this season, I've, more than once, heard the comment "at least we're playing good football." I've even been guilty of thinking that, but watching the United game this morning (4:45am wake-up for me) I can't help but think all that talk is utter-rubbish. It was so clear that throughout our strong spells of possession that it was United and not Everton in control of the match. Don't believe that? How nervous were you every time we were dispossessed after failing to create more than a half chance and United flew forward? That's controlling the match. United let us try and score well orchestrated goals, but knew we didn't have the finish. We don't have the finish (unless Yak gets fit and finds his scoring boots) and any team of some strength aught to take note of what United did today and they'll have us; we haven't the pace or defensive organization to effectively defend the counter of teams like of any pedigree. Good on the lads for securing a magnificent point today; after coming very close to turning off the PC and getting back to sleep I'm glad I didn't.

But back to the point. Sure, watching out boys play in the midfield with the flair of Barcelona is nice, but it's not going to get us jack shit if we don't shore up the defenses and find a touch in the final third. For being acclaimed as a defensive minded manager Moyes has fielded awful defense for the last two years, that's got to stop and we need to be keeping clean sheets against weaker opposition (Villa and RS inclusive). Moyes also needs to do a job in two other places, both glaringly obvious to us fans, but seemingly invisible to the coaching staff: right wing and center forward. It would seem we've got reasonable solutions to both: coleman and Yakubu. Put Coleman on the wing and let him get experience while not entirely exposing his defensive frailties. Pull Yak aside and tell him that if he wants to be off in the Summer he needs to score some goals, otherwise he's going to sit on the bench for the season and not be sold; hell make a gentlemen's agreement and tell him, you score 15-20 goals and we'll get you to the team you want. Step up Moyes.

Nothing wrong with pretty football!

Be even better when some of that fantastic midfield play actually results in goals.

I'd rather be third from bottom with 2 points having dominated most of the teams we've played and produced some 'pretty' football.......than be third from bottom with 2 points and not have managed to play good 'pretty' football and therefore dominate opponents.

We're just unlucky that our present form hasn't got us around the 10 point mark.

An inform Yak or an unleashed Anichebe could soon be adding to the pretty football.

Nothing wrong with pretty football!

Be even better when some of that fantastic midfield play actually results in goals.

I'd rather be third from bottom with 2 points having dominated most of the teams we've played and produced some 'pretty' football.......than be third from bottom with 2 points and not have managed to play good 'pretty' football and therefore dominate opponents.

We're just unlucky that our present form hasn't got us around the 10 point mark.

You're right, nothing inherently wrong with pretty football, what is wrong is when we're so disillusioned by the silky passing game and flowing runs that some fans make comments like this. I'd rather we play ugly football like Blackpool and be sitting 4th than Barca-esque midfield play and be sitting 17th. Pretty doesn't win trophies, see Arsenal.

You're right, nothing inherently wrong with pretty football, what is wrong is when we're so disillusioned by the silky passing game and flowing runs that some fans make comments like this. I'd rather we play ugly football like Blackpool and be sitting 4th than Barca-esque midfield play and be sitting 17th. Pretty doesn't win trophies, see Arsenal.

The attacking runs and passing aren't the problem. To me it always seems like the final ball into the areas is always crap.

Don't know hwo many times I've watched Everton go forward to just have the attack cut short by a shit cross.

I know where pretty footie gets us. Disillusionment. At least when we play nice and the opposition lets us into their third before stripping the ball it's fun to watch and we can simply say the result was bad luck or we just need a bit more class in the final third. Glad we were exposed for what we were today. I expect there will be a reaction next week and pressure on Moyes will ease, not from me, not until we win something and Moyes show's he's learned a thing or hundred about football tactics.

I didn't intend to imply that we did. I was trying to say, look we played pretty footie for the first 4 matches and for 3 of em could make the claim that luck just wasn't ours. Then we played well enough going forward against Utd, and horribly in defense. But today we played shit, i meant to say, at least the first 4 games inspired hope, albeit misplaced and baseless.

I didn't intend to imply that we did. I was trying to say, look we played pretty footie for the first 4 matches and for 3 of em could make the claim that luck just wasn't ours. Then we played well enough going forward against Utd, and horribly in defense. But today we played shit, i meant to say, at least the first 4 games inspired hope, albeit misplaced and baseless.

No matter what way we play we're seemingly in the shit mate. I'm livid after today.