IGNORED

Kids football

Went to watch my 13 year old nephew play football for the first time yesterday and I was disgusted with what I saw. Manager/assistant manager abusing the young referee and making threats to break his jaw, dads on the touch inline giving abuse to the referee and kids “play acting” and rolling around on the floor. Is this a one off or the norm? Took my nine year old to watch but don’t think I will again. 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

Went to watch my 13 year old nephew play football for the first time yesterday and I was disgusted with what I saw. Manager/assistant manager abusing the young referee and making threats to break his jaw, dads on the touch inline giving abuse to the referee and kids “play acting” and rolling around on the floor. Is this a one off or the norm? Took my nine year old to watch but don’t think I will again. 

Wasn't that bad when my lad was playing but the worst thing I saw, strangely enough, was from a father of one of his team-mates against their own coach. The lad was very big and gangly and loved his footie but was uncoordinated and frankly a shite player who they always took along as sub and gave ten/fifteen minutes to if the result was decided either way. His dad normally worked week-ends so was never there but turned up for one game that was very tight so as time was ticking by and his kid wasn't being used you could see him getting more and more irritated and he eventually just lost it completely, swearing and cursing at the coach at the top of his voice (in front of 25/26 10/11 year olds) and threatening violence, was astonishing.

Not a new thing though, I can remember when I was about ten and my dad ran the team I played for we had a "title decider" against our fiercest rivals (Pyrford Reds, had to be reds didn't it); we were at home so the ref would usually be one of our coaches (dads). Because of the rivalry my dad decided to bring in a qualified ref as a one-off so there could be no accusations of bias. We won the game 3-1. Afterwards one of their lot said to one of our main coach (as mild mannered a man as I've ever met and he was my company MD for 17 years in later life). "You had the breaks and the ref on the day..." which George took exception to and that escalated and nearly led to an all in punch up as well:lol:.

We won the title though, I even have a pic of my good self holding the trophy as evidenceB).

Capture.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I used to referee kids’ basketball when I was in high school (I was 14 or so), and I once nearly ejected a coach for cursing loudly and profusely at his own two 9-10 year old sons who were on the team. I gave him two warnings and a technical foul, at which point he finally shut up. He ended up re-marrying to a good friend of my mom’s, but fortunately we were long gone by then.

14 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

I used to referee kids’ basketball when I was in high school (I was 14 or so), and I once nearly ejected a coach for cursing loudly and profusely at his own two 9-10 year old sons who were on the team. I gave him two warnings and a technical foul, at which point he finally shut up. He ended up re-marrying to a good friend of my mom’s, but fortunately we were long gone by then.

Always harder for the kids whose dad runs the team, mentioned above that I was in that situation, dad never cursed but I definitely had higher expectations than anyone else; not in terms of ability but in terms of attitude and effort. In later years when I was playing table tennis at a decent level it got to the point that I banned him from attending tournaments, he still couldn't help telling me what I should be doing and he couldn't play the game for shit:lol:.

When I was 13 years old I was selected for a trial with Liverpool boys.  The trial was to be held at the sports ground in Penny Lane.  My Dad said he would take me (he had an old Ford van). I was excited as my Dad had never been to see me play for the school team.  We went on the day and my brother came along also. Most of the other lads in the trial were 15 and 16 and seemed big lads to me.  During the game I looked for my Dad but couldn't see him or my brother.  After the game, my Dad turned up and said he had to go somewhere to do with his work.  He didn't see any of the game.  There was a game on the next pitch to ours and my brother said he watched the other game as it was better than ours!  Never heard anything more after my trial but still remember how disappointed I was that my Dad didn't watch.