IGNORED

3 Changes From 7 Subs...

I saw written today that premier league clubs are going to now have match-day squads of 18 instead of 16 -- still only 3 changes but from 7 substitutes

again it offers more choices for the bigger (read wealthier) clubs who have bigger squads...

during the african cup of nations, I think we'd have had virtually everyone on the books in the matchday squad!!!

anyone think of a good reason for this type of change???

The african cup has made a mockery of xtra subs.

Coaches running out players with 30 seconds to go just so they have the app next to their name to help the % of games needed @ the level to obtain work permits in europe etc.

Wonder if we will ever see this.

I have recently tried to be tricked in to making a comeback ( no chance in hell of - way too old ) anyhow the selling point was that in local league football here now ( Amateur level)

They have pinched this from Rugby, they have an UNLIMITED interchange.

You have your 5 Subs & Gk, but can run on & run off @ will, as many subs as the team likes & at any time.

Not for Pro football I thinks, but a smashing inovation for amateur footballers & too keep some older blokes in the game a couple of years longer.

Yeah... EFCfanatic, thank you! There are benefits to this for us, especially since Moyes has been able to pack in more quality, squad-wise so it's only a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I remember both Benitez and Mourinho calling for this last season and the season before as they were used to it on the continent.

I don't think its that bad an idea, and you can see young players getting more of a chance.(though still in a limited context, but still more than before) For example a game that we have wrapped up (i.e sunderland) would be a good chance to give a youth team player a run out. Numbers are numbers and it may also mean that we wouldn't have to make makeshift subs. We seem to have a habit of late of putting three stikers on the bench and then are limited in defence and midfield with changes we could make. I don't think it will have an adverse effect and would be up for this.

Edited by jamiemaher85

Yeees... but surely the point of us buying in players like Fernandes and Pienaar, as well as keeping Ossie, Arteta, Cahill and also having four strikers as we do is so that we can have 6 strong outfield subs. Let's take it hypothetically...

First XI for us:

Howard

Neville Yobo Lescott Baines

Arteta Fernandes Ossie Pienaar

Aj Yak

Then, with this new option, our bench would go from this:

Wessels

Jagielka

Cahill

Vaughan

Anichebe

TO THIS:

Wessels

Jagielka

Hibbert

Carsley

Cahill

Vaughan

Anichebe

....so more flexibility. Also, with injuries - and international football - we could then still put in Valente, Gardner, Gosling, Jutkiewicz and the various other youngsters (as in Gos and Lucas) including Rodwell, Irving etc...

It doesn't matter what players other teams have, as we have proven under Moyes by beating each of the so-called top four at some point or another.

Edited by Calico