IGNORED

Interesting Developments

Right. And the way it works in Spain at least, if a non-EU guy stays there for three years (I think it is), he becomes eligible to get a Spanish passport and, if he does, he moves over to the EU column and it frees up the team to bring in another import. That was one of the big stories with Ronaldinho last season, that he was going to get his passport (although he obviously ended up leaving anyway).

Also.. Spain have lax rules on citizenship for several African and South American nations where the to qualify for a passport they only need to spend 2 years there.

The african ruling was introduced this year, it's why a lot of talent from Africa's U17 championship has signed with Spanish Clubs.

Right. And the way it works in Spain at least, if a non-EU guy stays there for three years (I think it is), he becomes eligible to get a Spanish passport and, if he does, he moves over to the EU column and it frees up the team to bring in another import. That was one of the big stories with Ronaldinho last season, that he was going to get his passport (although he obviously ended up leaving anyway).

Forgive my flipancy, but doesn't that then mean that the rule is a beauracratic nonsense with enough loopholes to make it basically a farce. No wonder it works so well, it doesn't actually hinder as there are many ways of bypassing it.

Nice to know we wouldn't be screwed as I first thought, though. I'm surprised this hasn't already been brought in by the FA, they love a good beauracratic waste of time.

Also.. Spain have lax rules on citizenship for several African and South American nations where the to qualify for a passport they only need to spend 2 years there.

The african ruling was introduced this year, it's why a lot of talent from Africa's U17 championship has signed with Spanish Clubs.

We also have very beneficial rules for resident aliens, check out the laws of domicile. All these foreign players shove their wealth off shore and the Revenue can't touch any profits from its investment. Thats why the likes of these Arabs and Abramovich virtually live here, they pay less tax than someone on the minimum wage.

Hard one to answer this, we do need a lot of investment, but after seeing Jamie Carraghers comments about the American owners of the R's I would feel very uncomfortable with Yank money coming in. I think Arabs want to win things, it is a matter of honour I believe. But as it has been pointed out, what happens to young talent if they do take over? Or would we sell them on, then buy them back at a later date when they prove themselves?

Hard one to answer this, we do need a lot of investment, but after seeing Jamie Carraghers comments about the American owners of the R's I would feel very uncomfortable with Yank money coming in. I think Arabs want to win things, it is a matter of honour I believe. But as it has been pointed out, what happens to young talent if they do take over? Or would we sell them on, then buy them back at a later date when they prove themselves?

Isn't that what we do anyway? :P

Funny, I've never heard anyone accuse that sheik who owns Fulham of being that desperate to win things.

And anyway, if you don't think American owners can be just as passionate about their teams and about trying to win championships as Arab owners, then you've obviously never followed the careers of owners like George Steinbrenner, Jerry Jones, or Robert Kraft. American owners are not all of a piece, any more than British or German or Italian owners are. Some like Hicks are all about making money, while others like the Glazers are willing to spend big to win big. Some (not any of the American owners in the EPL right now, but see West Ham or Chelsea) think that being the owner entitles them to micromanage everything, even to the point of dictating to the manager who to buy or sell and play or not play, while others like Lerner just quietly fade into the background, pay the bills, and let the manager do his job.

Robert Kraft is the New England Revs owner right? I think he was actually linked with buying us a few years ago.

That's right, and like the Glazers and Lerner he's also an NFL owner. Except that his team, the New England Patriots, has been one of the league's most successful since he took over - they've won three of the past seven NFL championships and were runners-up last year. Revs haven't won a championship in MLS yet, but they've been runners-up the last three years in a row.

Edited by JD in DC