IGNORED

Ryder Cup

Faldo got off to a flyer letting the world know what his picks were and then denying he did it, tosser. From what I've seen Nick seems to be turning this into a Jolly Boys outing with him cast in the role of Del Boy.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Americans are still hurt from last time and will be pulling out all the stops. As always we need to build a lead over the fourball matches but I think we'll struggle. I wanted to be proven wrong but my hunch is that this will be close but they may edge it, the Yanks don't like being undder dogs and it will steel their nerve. Get ready from three solid days of USA USA USA USA USA USA

Get ready from three solid days of USA USA USA USA USA USA

The one that annoys me is, "Get in the hole!" when they're hitting a driver on a par five <_< .

I used to like Faldo but he's such an obnoxious shit now, some sportmen I didn't like when they were younger but warmed to them as they got older (Steve Davies, David Coulthard for example), Faldo's the reverse.

It'd almost be worth losing this to see him suffer the indignity being the one to break our winning run.....but not quite :) .

The one that annoys me is, "Get in the hole!" when they're hitting a driver on a par five <_< .

I used to like Faldo but he's such an obnoxious shit now, some sportmen I didn't like when they were younger but warmed to them as they got older (Steve Davies, David Coulthard for example), Faldo's the reverse.

It'd almost be worth losing this to see him suffer the indignity being the one to break our winning run.....but not quite :) .

Couldn't agree more Mike, he proving himself to be a right tosser actually he's that bad he makes Mark James appear good.

The other thing that will annoy me, and you don't get this in Europe, is the crowd moving off once the home [play has putted out, no respect shown I'm afraid

7-5 to USA now. Looking better for Europe, hope we can pull ahead.

@Romey - Yeah sorry for that, when I realised and went to edit my keyboard woulden't work, so well, I coulden't :P

Sergio Garcia will aim to recreate history on American soil when he leads Nick Faldo's European Team into the emotional cauldron that is a Ryder Cup Singles Sunday.

Four years ago at Oakland Hills, the Spaniard was sent out in the second match to quell the threat of Phil Mickelson and the 28 year old from Castellon came up with the goods in spectacular fashion, defeating the World Number Two by 3 and 2, a victory which gave Europe the impetus to go on and record a record breaking 18 ½ - 9 ½ victory.

Now Garcia will step up to the plate and go out in the first match against Anthony Kim as the visitors attempt to overturn the 9-7 scoreline which stands after the first two pulsating days play at Valhalla Golf Club in Kentucky.

That Europe trail is the bad news for Captain Faldo. The good news is that there is a Ryder Cup precedent for recovery, for the score is exactly the same as was at Oak Hill in 1995 when Bernard Gallacher's troops stormed from behind to eventually win 14 ½ - 13 ½.

While the man with excellent Ryder Cup history will head Europe's recovery bid, the man of the 2008 season, Padraig Harrington, will be charged with playing the anchor role should the contest come down to the final match.

The Irishman has been placed at match number 12 against Chad Campbell and will need all his experience of the unique pressure of the biennial contest against the United States should the 2008 version go down to the wire.

Another man of vast Ryder Cup experience, Lee Westwood, has been placed in the penultimate slot against the 2003 Open Champion Ben Curtis while two of Europe's men of the match to date, England's Ian Poulter and Graeme McDowell of Northern Ireland, play at number ten and nine respectively, against Steve Stricker and Stewart Cink.

McDowell, who has been in sensational form in this, his rookie appearance, summed up the mood in the European camp.

"We knew we had to come out and put points on the board today and we did that, it was hugely important for us," said the Ulsterman. "Now, with a two point deficit on the board and 12 points up for grabs, it is wide open.

"I have to say, coming out of the team room tonight, everyone is pumped up. Everyone is feeling really, really good and we are 110 per cent up for this tomorrow."

Back at the top of the order, behind Sergio Garcia, Paul Casey is charged with the responsibility of the second match against Hunter Mahan, while Robert Karlsson is up next against Justin Leonard in match three.

Rookie Justin Rose faces a singles baptism of fire in match four against Phil Mickelson while the Englishman will be followed onto the first tee in match five by Henrik Stenson who will be charged with seeing off the challenge of local Kentucky favourite Kenny Perry.

Behind Stenson in match six will be Oliver Wilson who will hope to silence the crowd favourite Boo Weekley while Soren Hansen is charged with taking care of the second Kentuckian in the field, J B Holmes, in match seven, before Miguel Angel Jimenez tackles Jim Furyk in match eight.

Edited by dark

Well its now 9 - 7 over night before tomorrows singles, could have been half a point closer if Karlsson had holed his eagle put at the last. Great fight back by Europe led by Poulter, I have to take my hat off to him he was brilliant today.

With the exception of Jesse and Festus (aka Boo Weekley and J B Holmes) the US team have been very sporting and over all the crowd well behaved. We are not out of it yet and the singles will be fascinating. As much as I don't like Faldo he has done a very good job with the men he has available to him. Anyone would have picked Casey but Poulter was a shock and has proved to be the best player, Casey on the other hand can put to save his life. One this course with the stimpmeter reading at 11 plus the American putting has been that much better than ours. Fingers crossed for tomorrow

Forgive me of my ignorance, but I'm not that big a fan of golf however I have been following the scoring. People have been saying that the cup is lost for Europe as USA are too far in-front. But at 9-7 (from someone who sees football scores :P) it dosen't seem that much of a gap. What I'm asking is, is it? And can we kiss goobye to the Ryder for another two years?

USA up in 4

Europe up in 4

AS in 4

Right off the Garcia-Kim result. He's had an absolute shocker.

It's doable if we nick a few square matches, and perhaps if Stenson and Mcdowell can do something aswell.

Must admit I can't watch golf in general, but Ryder cup is unmissable for me.

Forgive me of my ignorance, but I'm not that big a fan of golf however I have been following the scoring. People have been saying that the cup is lost for Europe as USA are too far in-front. But at 9-7 (from someone who sees football scores :P) it dosen't seem that much of a gap. What I'm asking is, is it? And can we kiss goobye to the Ryder for another two years?

There are twelve singles matches, one point for a win, half a point for a draw. We need to get seven points because, as holders, we keep the trophy if it's a draw. It's currently 10-8 because we've won one match each so far. Of the other ten we're currently behind in five, up in four and one's all square, so at the moment it doesn't look great but it can change quickly...I hope :unsure: .

All gone a bit tits up in the last couple of holes, especially Mahan nicking the 17th against Casey.

-EDIT-

Looks like he may possibly rescue a half after a cracking shot on the 18th. Still need some magic from Jimenez and Harrington though.

Edited by DonKey

Lost. Shit.

Lost, and quite badly. I will not blame Faldo for this as some will, I can see the press gathering like vultures, the US team played extraordinary golf of a standard that even surprised themselves just look at Oliver Wilson, went out in 32 shots only to find himself three down. I was disappointed with Garcia and Harrington, the latter looked very tired but Garcia acted like a total prat allowing Kim to whip up the galleries as they went round, his antics were a disgrace to the game and Kim wasn't that much better.

IMO the USA are back and the match at Celtic Manor will be right up their street unless we allow the rough to grow. They have bled a group of very stronger players, it remains to be seen if they travel

Big question making the rounds with the sports media here in the US today is whether or not this team was actually better off NOT having Tiger Woods on the squad. Opinion is divided but to me, the answer is yes - the evidence of the ol' glazzies speaks for itself. I'm not sure I can remember the US guys ever playing so loose and pressure-free, and definitely not when Tiger was on the team with them.