IGNORED

Laptop Problem

MikeO

Josh's laptop died at the week-end.....for the second time....we only got it back in June after it'd been sent back to Germany for repair (reset to factory settings) under guarantee.

This time, because we bought it a year and ten days ago, it was out the original guarantee but I was sure tit'd be covered because we've only had it back about ten weeks. Phoned the helpline and they've told me that they only cover repairs for one month!

Fucking disgraceful :angry: . I've written a strong letter of complaint to Tesco's (where we bought it) telling them it's not good enough and what are they going to do about it?!

No idea if it'll do any good....what do you reckon?

If you're out of the warantees you're pretty much screwed. You can maybe press the matter, depending on how long you were without it during that 1st repair. If, all things told, you didn't have use of it for a year, maybe there's a chance, but I think you're screwed. What brand was it, btw?

It's a Gateway....and that's a good point that I wish I'd mentioned in the letter Sporting. It was away for six weeks and was only two over the year so we've actually only had use of it for eleven months.

I can use that if I get no joy from the first letter.

You are definately not screwd. under the sales of goods act any warranty is superceeded by your statutory rights. they state that any goods purchased should last a resonable amount of time. that's a grey area but, if you threaten them with trading standards or a a small claims court case they should acknowledge this and repair, replace or refund, as is their right pdq. as a general rule of thumb electrical equipment is expected to have a working lifespan of at least 5 years. i would politley point out that you have rights over and above the warranty and that you would be prepared to take it as far as is necessary for a satisfactory outcome.

also never, ever buy an extended warranty for electrical equipent. not worth the paper they're written on. you are already covered by the law of the land.

Edited by paul-r

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Had a letter from Tesco's a week ago saying they were referring it to the relevant department ("out of warranty breakdown") and they'd contact me within ten days.

Got a letter from them this morning which said, "I regret that I am unable to assist you further with a repair or replacement for the laptop." :angry:

Bit cross so my immediate reaction is get ready to phone and put my case a bit more strongly given the extra ammo I got from Sporting and Paul..

But then I read the next paragraph, "However, I'm sorry that this has happened and I have arranged for you to receive a cheque for the amount of £368.00 to reimburse you for the full value of your laptop."

Result and a half!

Thanks guys....the other thing is that they haven't asked for the old one back, so I'll take it down to my local repair shop, see if it's worth fixing and then maybe make a few extra £€$£€$ on the deal on ebay :) .

Josh is also going to end up with a much better machine (looking at this possibly http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6256.aspx).

Bloody delighted here :) .

• 4 weeks later...

And finally...

Took the laptop to a shop and they said the prob with Gateway's is that they won't provide parts to anyone, so to get it fixed you have to send it back to them.

So I put it on Ebay as "Faulty/spares or repair" and the auction just finished.

£112 :D . Free money. Love it.

Thanks for that Louis but we've already replaced it.

Josh decided he wanted a desktop so we went for this http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/4...reviews#reviews. Got a decent deal with a package including and ex-display 18" wide screen monitor for £305; could possibly do with a bit of a graphics upgrade if he ever goes for more serious games but it's fine for what he does now.