IGNORED

Most Important Sports Venues

Recently ESPN ran an article ranking the most important sports-related places in the United States. It included actual playing fields, like stadiums and golf courses and racetracks, of course, but it also had ancillary places like Nike headquarters and the Baseball Hall of Fame. Places were considered for their historical legacy, including championships won by the home team and other significant events hosted there (like Open Golf championships, triple crown horse races, famous concerts, Popes saying mass there, World Cup matches, etc.), and for as their level of impact/influence on their particular sport and/or on the national sports landscape (which is what gets something like Nike headquarters on the US list). The only requirement was that the place still had to be standing, even if it isn't currently being used.

That got me curious - if you folks were to rank the ten most important sports-related places in England based on the criteria given above, what would you pick? Still standing, of course, so places that have been torn down like the old Wembley Stadium (which I'm sure would be #1 otherwise) or Highbury aren't eligible.

1 To all blues the number one must be dear old Goodison Park, the first ever purpose built stadium constructed for the fans by the fans and the oldest stadia in the country.

2 Lords cricket ground, the home of cricket

3 Aintree race course home of the world famous Grand National

4 Wimbeldon. home of lawn tennis

5 Chester race course, oldest race course in the country and possibly the world dating back to Roman times

6 Twickenham, home of Rugby

7 Knowsley Road St Helens, home of the greatest Rugby League team in the world

8 St Andrews, the mecca for every golfer in the world

9 Velodrome, Manchester, for producing so many Olympic champions in such a short time

10 Hillsborough, Sheffield for all the wrong reasons

(you can shuffle numbers 2 to 10 but Goodison remains number one)

Great question by the way

Ah but St. Helens will be moving soon, and Wigan Warriors are the greatest Rugby League team in the world. Get it right :P .

Plus the fact that Rugby League is a meaningless parochial little squabble anyway and as such has no business being included on the list with proper sports :P .

Back on topic, I think Crystal Palace may have a claim....the park held Grand Prix and FA Cup finals in the past and I think it was the first National Sports center when it was opened in 1964. Was the center of British athletics and swimming for thirty odd years and is still important (though it probably won't be after the Olympics :) ).

Plus the fact that Rugby League is a meaningless parochial little squabble anyway and as such has no business being included on the list with proper sports :P .

Back on topic, I think Crystal Palace may have a claim....the park held Grand Prix and FA Cup finals in the past and I think it was the first National Sports center when it was opened in 1964. Was the center of British athletics and swimming for thirty odd years and is still important (though it probably won't be after the Olympics :) ).

Mike, please allow me to take you out for night in either Wigan or St Helens, you just may change your mind for one reason or another. I would have considered including Wigans ground but just look at the JJB.

The site of the old CP was built on years ago Mike, Kennington Oval is another matter but having included Lords I gave popular sports like R/L a shout :P

Rather than having a pop at my list, sod off and do your own :P:P

The site of the old CP was built on years ago Mike,

Was thinking more along the lines of...

crystal.jpg

...and...

crystalpool.jpg

...than...

crystal_palace_image_hobhouse.jpg

....Jim.

Still very much going strong.

I'll pass on the Rugby League thanks....God knows I've tried....even went to a game once in the early/mid eighties when Fulham was the London "franchise" (coincidentally it was at Crystal Palace :lol: ). Just don't get it I'm afraid. Union man all the way ;) .

....and I didn't do a complete list because yours was pretty difinitive I thought.

Was thinking more along the lines of...

....Jim.

Still very much going strong.

I'll pass on the Rugby League thanks....God knows I've tried....even went to a game once in the early/mid eighties when Fulham was the London "franchise" (coincidentally it was at Crystal Palace :lol: ). Just don't get it I'm afraid. Union man all the way ;) .

....and I didn't do a complete list because yours was pretty difinitive I thought.

I thought it was the original arenas Mike :P

Oh shucks you creep :lol::lol::lol::lol: