IGNORED

Rugby League World Cup Thread

Guest Reg Reagan

Has there ever been a more pointless, uninteresting, absurd and generally laughable world cup for anything?

And a good start from England? Scraping home after being behind at half-time to PNG ffs!?

There' s a very good reason it hasn't happened for eight years...nobody cares.

Just give Australia the cup and everyone can go home :P .

people in Australia dont care that the world cup is on

i beg to differ. both games for the aussies have attracted crowds of 30,000 people, thats reasonable.

although tonight us running out winners against england 52-4, i think we should go on to win it pretty easy now

A knee injury has forced Scotland Bravehearts player Lee Paterson to return home to England tonight (Sunday, November 2). Paterson played lock for the Bravehearts in their 36-18 loss to France at Canberra Stadium in the opening game of Pool B.

“A scan on Lee’s knee showed a damaged anterior cruciate ligament and the best course of action for him is to return home for further investigation,’’ said Scotland Coach Steve McCormack.

“It is a devastating blow for Lee and ourselves. Lee has been an integral part of our squad. He will be sorely missed by the players and coaching staff and we will be sad to see him go.

“It is now vital Lee returns to Widnes to undergo treatment and get ready for the 2009 season.’’

Not really that well up on the world of Rugby but have managed to watch some of this RLWC. I went on Wikipedia to find out what it was all about and watched the Austalia v New Zealand game. Understand 80% of the rules, just with Mike on the fact that what a scrum actually does, it seems pretty pointless, although it would be awesome in football.

I was appalled by the efforts of the England team to be honest.

Australia played well, but really weren't the world beaters that the media were bleating on about. They didn't have to be... and that in itself is abit worrying, because they will can better if they are forced.

England just didn't play the game enough in the ozzie half, and gave away stupid penalties. Pisses me off because I had to put up with all this crap about how bad England were at sport in general when I was travelling over there in 2000, and when Aus beat England in the footy!!!!

That's generally the attitude I found when I was over there...

No one gave a rats ass about football (soccerball) untilthe aussies beat England, and then all of a sudden everyone was a bleedin expert!!!!

Shame really...

hahahaha. nah not entirely true with that one, but yes that certainly was a significant event

3-1 :D

still remember that it was francis jeffers who scored the goal for england as well...

Guest Reg Reagan
I was appalled by the efforts of the England team to be honest.

Australia played well, but really weren't the world beaters that the media were bleating on about. They didn't have to be... and that in itself is abit worrying, because they will can better if they are forced.

England just didn't play the game enough in the ozzie half, and gave away stupid penalties. Pisses me off because I had to put up with all this crap about how bad England were at sport in general when I was travelling over there in 2000, and when Aus beat England in the footy!!!!

Well England have a quality side but they were cocky against the skips. Australia have talent all over the park and they can easily field 3 teams

Never enjoyed Rugby League as much as Union. How are Scotland doing in it though?

they are through to the next round, they beat Fiji 18-16 yesterday

Ireland smashed Samoa 34-16 and Tim Cahill's cousin, Benji Roberts, he is an absolute rubbish of a player and is nothing compared to his cousin tim cahill and im sure he will be very embarrassed to be related to him

That's generally the attitude I found when I was over there...

No one gave a rats ass about football (soccerball) untilthe aussies beat England, and then all of a sudden everyone was a bleedin expert!!!!

Shame really...

Nah they all got on the bandwagon when australia qualified for the world cup

Guest Reg Reagan

shame ireland have lost yesterday to fiji they would have been the first irish team in any sport to make it to the semi finals. that would have been very big for irish rugby league... ireland at times they were very competitive but at other times they were just plain lazy against fiji.

I do hope fiji beat australia in the WC semis :)

And i do hope england do get up against NZ this weekend, we should have beaten them

GB can perform in 1 off games against the Kangaroos, but struggle to maintain the pressure over a full series. I'm hoping above all hope that England are saving that 1 one performance for the final, as long as we can scrape past the Kiwis at the weekend.

Unfortunately though, based on the performances of the last few weeks I really can't see it happening! What would be nice is to see the Aussies really tested, rather than coasting through in some dog turd game, which does nothing for the sport or the spectacle at all!

Anyone in general... or anyone off here?

A couple of my mates have been over for a few weeks to watch a few games, and another couple of lads have headed over this week for the semi and final.

Fingers are still crossed for a decent performance and match on Saturday.

Has it reached the stage that England would be happy just to lose by under 20 points for once? Against Us i'm talking.

Forty points would be nearer the mark :rolleyes: .

Luckily we've been spared the embarrassment by NZ.....and because the ground appeared virtually empty not very many people witnessed it. If they just keep their heads down and sneak straight home we can all pretend that it never happened :lol::lol: .

What a farce.

Absolute bollocks! Half the pricks on the pitch tonight couldn't catch and run.

Again the Kiwis didn't have to play well to beat us. Can moan about some of the appalling ref decisions, but at the end of the day he didn't drop the ball, miss tackles etc...

Only positive I can take from it is that its over, and we're not going to get embarassed by the Kangaroos next week.

last nights game saw australia beat fiji 52-0, with australia now advancing to the final to play NZ. the game last night does not entirely reflect the score, fiji came very close at times, put some amazing hits on the aussies, and really put in a heart felt performance. at the end of the day though, australia's experience and stamina showed as they were able to run out winners. hopefully now we can go on and win it :)