IGNORED

A Derby Day Plea (times 2)

So, a massive week is upon us. Like the rest of you I'm sure, that combination of nerves, excitement and feisty-ness is churning around.

However, I think there is something important here and as a set of supporters we need to be honest enough to take a look at ourselves (or at least at the fellow Blues involved).

The chants. I don't want to be all high and mighty about this but lets be honest we are losing the goodwill that others give to us when it comes to playing against Liverpool.

The Gerrard chants - all the media do is highlight it, everyone tuts at what we are like and we lose the moral argument.

That is without mentioning the fact that I am sure we just egg Gerrard on to play even better - and lets be honest he's a simply phenomenal player that can destoy us, so why gee him up?

I am sure there will be chants that relate about his upcoming court case and I'm sure that is probably ok, But lets leave the other ones out.

We love our club. We spend so long talking about how our players perform when they pull on the shirt and whether they are doing their best to represent the great institution that is Everton. But players come and go - always have, always will. But as a group of supporters we represent our club more.

Sure, lets have some banter with the Dark Side (sad day if that ends) and more importantly lets get behind the Blues to urge the team on.

As I say, I know I risk sounded boring and a jumped up squirt about this.

But just like you, I bloody love Everton Football Club and don't want us dragged through the mud.

Oh one more thing...wear your shirts with pride this week boys. We're Blue.

another well thought out and well presented post from our man down south.

totally agree with you phil.

stay positive, hope we can mess up their title hopes. for the next four months im gunna be supporting united as a second team as i can not be doing with a victory parade.

blue this week, blue tomorrow night, hopefully with a massive grin.

Guest efctaxi

The chances of the fans giving up what are only 2 scheduled chances to tell the snooty reds how they feel , and rub a little salt in their wounds are pretty slim .

All this cotton wool around the Gerrard saga is a tad tedious to say the least . Noone condones nasty comments , but I doubt that will deter some of our fans giving the reds a rough ride , just as they offer the same courtesy to us . I think it will get pretty heated both on the pitch , and in the pubs as usual , so I'm glad that I'll be watching it in the comfort of my own chair , whilst shouting obsenities at the screen , as I sip my tea and pat the dog :P

COYB !!!!!!!!!

I personaly object to any chants that cross the line with regards to small children being present

Me and my 2 boys will be getting season tickets in about 3 years as the oldest has only just turned 4 and I will certainly not be letting him join in with all the swearing and whatever nasty comments are being said

They learn enough swearing in school off other kids without witnessing it themselves from grown up adults

Not to be a kill-joy in the slightest, whatever pisses the other team off and makes it harder for them to score am all for, but sometimes they do go above and beyond what the majority would call acceptible

My 2 pence worth :D

I believe, barring racist chanting, I have every right to sing / chant whatever I want... As long as i dont do it in a threatening manor...

I think the whole

the babies not yours.........

saga quite funny but if it winds the man up and gets him sent off then so be it.....Ill be singing my heart out tonight....' so I hope your not sitting next to me miss daisy...

I wonder what would happen if I went along with my

REMEMBER THE 39 BANOR

Edited by DangerMouse

i look at football matches as an event which gives fans a venue where they can vent their anger and frustration of everyday life. identifying with players and a club, makes people do whatever they can to get that club to win.. the general need for catharsis is validity enough to yell anything you want in my opinion .. (apart from the obvious racist and homophobic statements).

personally i wouldn't join in any chants that might be perceived as hurtful to the person they're directed at, but i do think it's the right of any supporter to yell whatever he deems necessary.

it's the prerogative of a supporter .. it's the reason why you don't see referees giving red cards to people in the stands..

apart from preventing physical harm, the police have no place in a football stadium..

Edited by holystove

I believe, barring racist chanting, I have every right to sing / chant whatever I want... As long as i dont do it in a threatening manor...

I think the whole

the babies not yours.........

saga quite funny but if it winds the man up and gets him sent off then so be it.....Ill be singing my heart out tonight....' so I hope your not sitting next to me miss daisy...

I wonder what would happen if I went along with my

REMEMBER THE 39 BANOR

Yeah chants have always been part of the fun of a match. I guess its like the pantomime baddy isn't it?

Haven't said that 'the babys not yours' song bores me tears now, its really overdone, but we all have different tasters.

I prefer the 'You robbed your own fans' chant

Slightly off topic, but a funny bit of banter nonetheless.

A few years back I was at the Everton v Arsenal game, just behind the goal. Jens Lehann went to take a goal kick when, through a hushed stadium someone shouted:

"Don't mention the war!!!"

Was comic timing to the extreme and everyone fell about laughing. Good times.

As for anything else shouted, stear clear of racist and other xenophobic chants. If it's good humoured all the better, but at least try and keep it fresh, dragging the same old songs out makes us sound like Man Utd fans :lol:

Guest efctaxi
Anyone else think the Everton fans were fantastic tonight? Way to make us all look good guys, could easily hear Follow, Follow and Grand Old Team above the monotony of Fields of Anfield Road.

Yes , I thought they were superb .

I watched the game on TV , but they were heard for the right reasons , and didn't hear anything bad .

Top support .

Dont want to appear negative BUT...

I expect the fans at that the cup game will be a bit more feisty.

Because of the 1-1 result some LFC fans will be bitter (despite them thinking that they are immune from bitterness) and chants will be thrown around. I think it inevitable that some unsavoury ones will be sung from both sides (but we'll probably only hear about the blue chants in the media).

Having wacthed the game again on the tv I actually think they muted / tured down the volume on the Gerrard songs...

I was there and we were belting them out.... to the lovely applause of the liverpool fans.... I love it...I think the song is a bit shit and old now but the reaction from them lot is fantastic....

COYB's