IGNORED

Excuse My Ignorance

Guest Reg Reagan

Guest efctaxi
But who the hell are Bob Paisley and Bill Shankly?

they seem very highly regarded amongst the RS when i went to anFAILED on sunday for the FA cup

They are 2 guys whose names begin with the letter B and end with the letter Y .

Their current manager has the same letters ....... Big babY :)

Bill Shankly said a wonderful quote at Dixie Dean's funeral. (I'm sure Blues will take this the right way ;))

"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday Afternoon"

True quote.

I wish Shanks was still alive. To be fair, times were better then and people could actually take a quote like that as banter...

Bill Shankly said a wonderful quote at Dixie Dean's funeral. (I'm sure Blues will take this the right way ;))

"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday Afternoon"

True quote.

I wish Shanks was still alive. To be fair, times were better then and people could actually take a quote like that as banter...

What you lot always forget is that Shanks was far more welcome at Belfield and GP than Melwood or Anfield after he had retired, your lot didn't want to know him and he hated the sight of John Smith and the rest. :P

shankly come out wi a couple of belters that i know of anyways at my tender age :lol:

think one was summat that could be said about kuyt nowadays can't remember who it was about but it was summat like yeah he misses a few but he gets in the right place to miss them :lol:

another was that one when someone asked him about players gainin an advantage and offside and that and he said if my player isn't lookin to gain an advantage i wanna know why :lol:

beltin!

From his autobiography It's More Important Than That (1976),

It is scandalous that I should have to write these things about the club that I helped build into what it is today.

I have not been short of invitations to other clubs and have been received more warmly by Everton than I have by Liverpool. It's probably fair to say that they are now 'my' team.

BUT WHAT A MANAGER, he grabbed a 2nd division club by the scruff of their necks and made them what they are today, and he always acknowledged Everton and gave us and the players a lot of respect, some quotes i remember .......

He went to have his hair cut, the barber said would you like anything off the top .............. aye laddie Everton. 1968.

Comment about Alan Ball ..... What a player, he only weighs about 8 stone soaking wet, but six of it must be his heart.

From his autobiography It's More Important Than That (1976),

It is scandalous that I should have to write these things about the club that I helped build into what it is today.

I have not been short of invitations to other clubs and have been received more warmly by Everton than I have by Liverpool. It's probably fair to say that they are now 'my' team.

BUT WHAT A MANAGER, he grabbed a 2nd division club by the scruff of their necks and made them what they are today, and he always acknowledged Everton and gave us and the players a lot of respect, some quotes i remember .......

He went to have his hair cut, the barber said would you like anything off the top .............. aye laddie Everton. 1968.

Comment about Alan Ball ..... What a player, he only weighs about 8 stone soaking wet, but six of it must be his heart.

Bill, he was the best manager we never had :P

Guest Reg Reagan

SO why do the RS fans always praise Shankley? what has he done for their the shits?

I have researched Bob Paisley and the RS fans are praising after he won nothing :lol:

I have researched Bob Paisley and the RS fans are praising after he won nothing :lol:

In Paisley's nine seasons in charge, Liverpool won six League titles and finished second twice, won 3 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 European Super Cup, 5 Charity Shields and 3 European Cups. He remains the only man in history to coach three European Cup-winning sides (1977, 1978 & 1981). His success was honoured with six Manager of the Year awards. Only the FA Cup eluded Paisley, although Liverpool would be runners-up in 1977 and beaten semi-finalists in 1979 and 1980.

Nice research Reg.

A true Shankly story,

In the 70's my dads mate used to run the West Derby Junior Football League, on what is now the Shankly playing fields. After the matches, everyone went home to watch sunday soccer and have their roast dinners. About 4pm all the lads, aged from 11-20odd used to gather on the field again for a kick around. This particular Sunday I was invited my dads mate, as it was his turn, to 'go and give Bill a knock to sort the game out'. Now at 14 years of age and a staunch Evertonian, I was already in awe as we had to walk past Bellefield into the cul-de-sac next to it. On arriving we duly knocked on the door to be greeted by, what can best be describes as a little old granny. " Is Bill in", asked my mate " Come in lads, he's just getting changed". Two minutes later I hear footsteps coming down the stairs, the door swings open and standing there in an old Liverpool tracksuit was Bill Shankly, even I knew who he was and my jaw dropped. " Ready for the game boys?", came that Scottish drawl. I was just staring at him as we made our way back to the field. Shankly then organised the lads into something like a 15 a-side match, the groundsmen even left the posts and nets up for us. as the game progressed he realised the teams where unevenly matched and chopped and changed when he thought appropriate and not once did anyone moan. Them lads where probably managed more times by Shankly than ever his players where, great times.