IGNORED

What Do You Look For In A Footballing Web Site?

Jimmy the blue

Lets get things right to start with is a very good site and covers most of my needs, although we could do with more quiz's. This posting bears no criticism of Toffee-talk whatsoever. It is well regulated, no bullying taking place and there is a fair degree of humour. In other sites I've found plenty of repetition, others with mods who either don't do their jobs or have clear favourites which annoys the hell out of most members.

I'm curious because so many of us seem to move from one site to another. I used to post heavily in Toffee-web and then the Grandoldteam. The club website has been cleaned up as that became one bloody big clique and if you were outside that clique you were not wanted. Toffee-web had a melt down with the owner upsetting all the mebers who left which gave rise to GOT site being formed from old Toffeewebbers.

What do you look for in a web site and do you have any tales from other sites?

Edited by Jimmy the blue

Guest efctaxi

The first thing I look for is how the forum is moderated .

I really don't like visiting forums that are full of unnecessary swearing , arguments , racism or pointless spam .

Disagreements are good discussion , and can be highly interesting , providing the opinions of others are respected , and the subject is discussed in a mature manner . There's really nothing worse than a subject which has been a great read turning into a war , and getting closed by the mods .

Respecting the views of other team supporters , and welcoming their registration and imput adds to the quality of any forum . At the end of the day , it's just a game , and a bit of fun to take our minds off real life occasionally .

Anyone who eats , sleeps , and breathes football really needs to get a life , and those that get so wrapped up in it that they actually become aggressive or violent towards others are missing the point , and should be shot . For me , it's just something to look forward to at the weekend , and unless I'm actually playing for Everton , then it really isn't personally important other than an entertainment value and a little friendly banter with other fans .

I also like a sense of humour on forums , and a 'give it only if you can take it' attitude . Forums also provide a wealth of information , and not just about football . If I have a problem with my car , you can guarantee someone will have mechanical knowledge , and so on .

This is a very good forum , with an almost social club atmosphere , or at least that's what I've been offered as a first impression . Some of the the other forums might be busier , but I like this one :)

Looking around a little while back when TT was very quiet, had a dabble on GOT for a bit, but the right wing Americans on there pissed me right off on the run up to the US election.

Garry Glitter/paedophile "jokes" were left up and laughed at. That on its own was enough to never go back for me.

Never really been anywhere else....tried to register on Kipper (several times) recently, just to have a look but never got my validation email.

TT may not be the biggest but I quite like that, like being in the pub with a group of eight or ten mates having a chat rather than (like some, RAWK for example that I had a scan through after the derby) where there's hundreds of people and you struggle to get heard. By the time they answer a post there's sixteen others appeared between the two. Everyone shouting at once.

The first thing I look for is how the forum is moderated .

I really don't like visiting forums that are full of unnecessary swearing , arguments , racism or pointless spam .

Disagreements are good discussion , and can be highly interesting , providing the opinions of others are respected , and the subject is discussed in a mature manner . There's really nothing worse than a subject which has been a great read turning into a war , and getting closed by the mods .

Respecting the views of other team supporters , and welcoming their registration and imput adds to the quality of any forum . At the end of the day , it's just a game , and a bit of fun to take our minds off real life occasionally .

Anyone who eats , sleeps , and breathes football really needs to get a life , and those that get so wrapped up in it that they actually become aggressive or violent towards others are missing the point , and should be shot . For me , it's just something to look forward to at the weekend , and unless I'm actually playing for Everton , then it really isn't personally important other than an entertainment value and a little friendly banter with other fans .

I also like a sense of humour on forums , and a 'give it only if you can take it' attitude . Forums also provide a wealth of information , and not just about football . If I have a problem with my car , you can guarantee someone will have mechanical knowledge , and so on .

This is a very good forum , with an almost social club atmosphere , or at least that's what I've been offered as a first impression . Some of the the other forums might be busier , but I like this one :)

I'm ashamed to say that one site, it used to be called something like the Realblueroom, was simply a hideaway for racists, anyone who complained were instantly called a Paki lover, shameful.

This place is similar to what was known on Toffee web as the Gentleman's room, special forum for Trustees, it was hidden away so others didn't have a clue it even existed.

Politics did start spoiling GOT, without any doubt, anyone left of centre or with Green leanings didn't have a clue what they spoke about, God knows what its like now with the credit crunch. There is more than one right wing American on that forum, politics aside they are OK unless someone says something anti USA.

Since my return I've noticed that this place is far busier, which is health, long may it last, its busy but not spoiled. I very much doubt if any one will send me e-mails wishing me dead on this site.

Seriously, I came the same route as Jim, and so far I do enjoy TT. I go back on GOT a couple of times a week, but not for long. I think sometimes a thinking person's site is better served by a smaller membership, and fewer threads, making it less attractive to those with a short attention span and no real value to add. In fact, GOT rather became a victim of its own success - it was around the time that BlueKipper was down, and a whole bunch of their regulars jumped onto GOT, that the decline Jim mentioned really set in.

This is NOT a dif at kipper, just that when there are too many people posting on a site and too many threads, it becomes almost impossible for the mods to do a consistent job. GOT has a couple of really good mods, so this is not a dig at them either.

So keep up the good work here and let's no spread the word too far or fast.

I absolutely love TT, it's by far the best Everton forum I've found. Probably because it's quiet enough to make yourself heard and you don't have to wade through pages and pages of shite. And there's very little name calling, a little bit is fine by me though ;) . I came across TT years and years ago, I can't remember how I found it though :huh: . Then I lost my internet for a year but the first thing I did once I got the net back was register back on here. I'm registered on a few other forums but I rarely post on them and just read them instead.

Well I am a busy man & came across TT when I was at an airport once (can't remember how or why), registered and always come back on here.

As already said, it is not full of repetetive dribble and members are good to have discussions with (even if they are always wrong and I am right). :P

Only thing missing from this forum is he VDM countdown clock: http://www.toffeetalk.com/forums/index.php...40&start=40 :D

Politics? Right Wing Americans? On GOT?

I'm lost. I must have missed something.

In fact, GOT rather became a victim of its own success - it was around the time that BlueKipper was down, and a whole bunch of their regulars jumped onto GOT, that the decline Jim mentioned really set in.

This is NOT a dif at kipper, just that when there are too many people posting on a site and too many threads, it becomes almost impossible for the mods to do a consistent job. GOT has a couple of really good mods, so this is not a dig at them either.

Interesting theory regarding Kipper. To be honest, we go on ban patrol when BlueKipper is down - so I completely disagree. I cant recall any member who "left Kipper and jumped onto GOT"

If you prefer less busy forums, then fair do's. But to suggest its its turned into BlueKipper 2? Thats a tad unfair.

You say its in decline, but when you look at the highest posters and their last visit, you'll see the vast majority regulary visit the forum. Theres only 5 from the top 50 posters that havent visited the forum today, and 14 from the top 100 posters. That to me is a good indication that things aren't in decline :)

Edited by Bacon Butty

Politics? Right Wing Americans? On GOT?

I'm lost. I must have missed something.

Interesting theory regarding Kipper. To be honest, we go on ban patrol when BlueKipper is down - so I completely disagree. I cant recall any member who "left Kipper and jumped onto GOT"

If you prefer less busy forums, then fair do's. But to suggest its its turned into BlueKipper 2? Thats a tad unfair.

You say its in decline, but when you look at the highest posters and their last visit, you'll see the vast majority regulary visit the forum. Theres only 5 from the top 50 posters that havent visited the forum today, and 14 from the top 100 posters. That to me is a good indication that things aren't in decline :)

No, it's definitely not turned in kipper, but there are tons of threads there where 2 members just go back and forth, over several pages, just trying to get the last word, etc. To be fair, GOT is still better than most, but we did get a bunch o new members when kipper was down a few months ago.

BTW, who are you on GOT - seeing as we probably "know" each other from there.

Shame really. Wish you wouldnt make it out as if you get death threats on GOT, as if its a common thing though. One member sent you a PM saying "I hope you recover from your heart problems" or whatever he said... which you interpreted as malicious - he denied it. Thats the problem with the internet, its all words. Hands were sadly tied really Jim - especially with all other staff agreeing with the "well, what can we do?". If he did mean it in a malicious manner, then thats the biggest cowards trick I have ever known, but he could have been genuinely wishing you well? Thats what he claims? Dont forget, he is foreign, something lost in translation maybe? I'll never know.

Anyway, not that it matters. Through your own admission your a stubborn git :P. Lifes short though, dont see what stops you logging on even to just reply to profile msgs and PMs to your friends. Dont see why you should let one member/comment prevent that Jim. You can chew my ear off now with reasoning but as I said, for me, lifes too short for grudges. But fair dos.

You picked a good forum though. The only alternative in my opinion. You should all pester Louis to get efc-online back up! Was a fantastic website.

Your emails keep bouncing back by the way.

Edited by Bacon Butty

Shame really. Wish you wouldnt make it out as if you get death threats on GOT, as if its a common thing though. One member sent you a PM saying "I hope you recover from your heart problems" or whatever he said... which you interpreted as malicious - he denied it. Thats the problem with the internet, its all words. Hands were sadly tied really Jim - especially with all other staff agreeing with the "well, what can we do?". If he did mean it in a malicious manner, then thats the biggest cowards trick I have ever known, but he could have been genuinely wishing you well? Thats what he claims? Dont forget, he is foreign, something lost in translation maybe? I'll never know.

Anyway, not that it matters. Through your own admission your a stubborn git :P.

You picked a good forum though. The only alternative in my opinion. You should all pester Louis to get efc-online back up!

Your emails keep bouncing back by the way.

I think you know there was more to it than that Dan, no matter. What do you mean my e-mails keep bouncing back, which e-mails and where to? I'm curious because I have been out of the game for a couple of months

I think you know there was more to it than that Dan, no matter. What do you mean my e-mails keep bouncing back, which e-mails and where to? I'm curious because I have been out of the game for a couple of months

Edited a bit before you replied.

I dont recall the rest? Unless you mean Digsy being told off my Dylan? - To be fair, from Dylans view... he just saw one member threatening another with a straightener :huh: It can be hard to call at times. But anyway, as you say, no matter now.

Few emails I have sent I just got;

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

Edited by Bacon Butty

Edited a bit before you replied.

I dont recall the rest? Unless you mean Digsy being told off my Dylan? - To be fair, from Dylans view... he just saw one member threatening another with a straightener :huh: It can be hard to call at times. But anyway, as you say, no matter now.

Few emails I have sent I just got;

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

]

No one else has had problems but no matter

Edited by Jimmy the blue

Gone.

You told me yourself people have had problems?

Chico too has told me his emails come back. As have a few other members. If you dont take my word for it I could find and link a thread to the Ale House with people including myself saying emails are bouncing back?

Edited by Bacon Butty

Gone.

You told me yourself people have had problems?

Chico too has told me his emails come back. As have a few other members.

It could have been while I was out of the game, if any of the lads want they can still contact me at that address mate (or visit me here :lol::lol::lol::lol:). I was going to send you the Mail snippet about Clattenburg and INTERNET betting found on his home computer, I did a posting here earlier. If you recall I said at the time he was bent...........................TX and Bruce just might like to see it :lol::lol:

Lets get back to the topic and having spent the morning in Aintree Hosp I think I'll be off to bed, night Dan

I don't often post on other team's sites (this is pretty much the only one) but it's easy to see which ones are good.

TIA I'm biased to as I write a monthly review over there but that's superbly run and moderated. The Blues that have posted on there are given so much leeway as well ;)

RAWK is the biggest and also attracts the most **** unfortunately. There are other good ones though. OTK is one.

But now I'm just quoting Liverpool fansites which won't interest you!

ToffeeTalk is well run though so well done guys!