IGNORED

It's A Sign!

Louis

_45417274_04maize.jpg

This warning, snapped by Stuart Schaum in South Africa on the way up to the Mozambican border, will give would-be maize thieves something to chew over.

_45417278_08grass.jpg

Arthur Buliva took this picture in the Ghanaian capital, Accra, where the warning appears to be more wishful thinking by town planners.

_45417279_09hotel.jpg

This Hilton Hotel in elegant decline and all its faded glory was photographed by David Gommeren at Mount Elgon in Uganda, near the border with Kenya.

_45417280_10zambezi.jpg

Georgina Sumner sent in this photograph of a poster literally plastered to the walls of a hospital in Zambia warning of the dangers of sex.

_45417281_11corruption.jpg

This picture sent in by Heather Vine was taken on the ferry from Mombasa to Likoni in Kenya.

_45417270_12books.jpg

This bookshop in Machakos, Kenya, pictured by Ed Deitzler, appears also to sell cows.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest efctaxi
How did they find out??

there must be a spy amongst us :shiftyeyes_anim:

I'm afraid it was my fault :unsure:

I posted a picture of a sign , and the original photographer of the sign asked me to remove it via pm . Rather than make an issue of it , I contacted the website with a polite letter , and received a polite letter back , as after all , this is a respectable forum and we are indeed the cream of the crop where football supporters are concerned , so only right that we listen to , and indeed respect the views of anyone that wishes to put them forward to us ; in this case , the copyright holder :)

I removed the picture as requested , and left a link to where it could be viewed in all it's glory , should the members wish to do so , thus benefiting both parties involved , as I'm such an upstanding member of society , and potential role model to future generations who may one day frequent our beloved forum :P

My appologies to our newest member and welcome to the forum :D

As for the law regarding copyright , the law states ( In both the UK and indeed USA ) quite clearly that ( and I quote )exclusive rights granted by the Copyright Act are limited by several statutory and Constitutional limitations on copyright law .

One of these limitations is called Fair use .

Though this area isn't as black and white as the remainder of the discussed legislations , it is my opinion that discussing a picture on a forum ( as opposed to using it on the front page of a website ) , and a non profit making forum at that would possibly fall into the category of ' fair useage ' , and render me unlikely to be prosecuted , or indeed found guilty of , breaching copyright , and only the most thirsty , if not fool hardy of solicitors would dare take up such a case :)

Having myself been a webmaster of several sites in the past ( not important which ones ) and a brief flirtation with the recording industry , it's useful to know the boundaries in which one can function , or at least be wise enough to make enquiries before hand . :)

None of the above is in anyway a challenge to our new found friend , nor is it designed in any way to be confrontational towards his / her wishes , as they did afterall , upon request , kindly publish further images relating to the topic of discussion .

Now that the serious matters are out of the way ( ahem ) , and forgive the tongue in cheek ' war and peace ' above , I for one am very interested to read anything further Alexander may wish to furnish us with , regarding his / her trip to Africa , and the story behind the pictures that were taken :)

So waddya say Alex ?

Edited by efctaxi

About copyright law:

1. Rights of the sign makers: it is allowed to make pictures of any subject without bridging the copyright law.

2. How to find out stolen images: modern technology makes it quite easy.

3. Using images on the forum without permission does not constitute a "Fair use".

The right way to do it would be to say:

"hey, I found great fun African sign images in this web site. Check it up!" with a proper link to the original site.

If you really want to show images here, you have to get in contact with the photographer. Most likely, if you use watermarked image and again provide link to the original site, you will get a permission to use the image.

Please check the rules of this forum. They are very clear about using copyrighted material.

Hope it makes it clear.

regards,

Alex (he)

Edited by ImageNature

As to the fun African sign images:

These images were taken in a small town in Copperbelt region of Zambia. Just in one street in fact.

If you've been to Africa you might noticed many funny things there. I have a small collection of Haircut salons with wonderful painting as advertisements. Will post it on my site later, when have a bit of time for processing the photos.

Btw, if you are interested there are more images from Africa in the African cute animals gallery.

Would love to hear your opinion.

And if you guys and girls have ideas how to promote great photography site :rolleyes: , please let me know!

Regards,

Alex

Edited by ImageNature

As to the fun African sign images:

These images were taken in a small town in Copperbelt region of Zambia. Just in one street in fact.

If you've been to Africa you might noticed many funny things there. I have a small collection of Haircut salons with wonderful painting as advertisements. Will post it on my site later, when have a bit of time for processing the photos.

Btw, if you are interested there are more images from Africa in the African cute animals gallery.

Would love to hear your opinion.

And if you guys and girls have ideas how to promote great photography site :rolleyes: , please let me know!

Regards,

Alex

My daughter is in that part of the world at present teaching, she is based just outside Chingola in the Copperbelt region. I'll ask her to take some snaps of these signs with the owners permission, signed affidavit giving her image rights to publish.......................................................................we're in the money. <_< :):o:huh:

Guest efctaxi

Hi Alex .

Good to have you back mate and thanks for the heads up .

A good friend of mine who sang in the same band a few years ago ( and a big EFC fan ) is also a photographer .

http://www.heesomphotography.co.uk/

He now seems to specialize in weddings , but did a large catalogue once ( which I can't find :( ) of natual images , from wild animals / flowers / oceanic stuff etc which was really cool .

He used to say ' if you don't have a camera at the ready , then you need a damn good memory ' which rings true :)

Looking at your site , it seems you've travelled quite a bit .

Must be a great hobby / profession bud :) Digging the flowers .

Don't be a stranger .

If we're going down the "My mate's a photographer" road here's my contribution. Good mate of mine, though I've not seen him for a few years, went to school with him but he's in Dublin now.

http://www.kelvinhudson.com/index2.htm

His other claim to fame is being in this penalty shoot-out...should have won the dope (but he is a Leeds fan :rolleyes: )

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player...ctid=2740834001

Guest efctaxi
If we're going down the "My mate's a photographer" road here's my contribution. Good mate of mine, though I've not seen him for a few years, went to school with him but he's in Dublin now.

http://www.kelvinhudson.com/index2.htm

His other claim to fame is being in this penalty shoot-out...should have won the dope (but he is a Leeds fan :rolleyes: )

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player...ctid=2740834001

But I only have 1 mate :(

Thanks Bill. Yes I ahve few cameras, but most often used is Canon 5d. There is a new model now Canon 5d II.

Regards,

Alex

Nature photography

Beautiful Alex, i also like the Russian Village photo's in the winter Gallery. Just as a matter of interest, you probably have lots of Cameras but which do you use most of the time. ?

Bill.

Guest efctaxi

Funny thing happened today .

Happened to bump into one of the guys who worked with me a few years ago , who is now , believe it or not , a professional photographer :lol:

Apparantly he now makes his living by selling pictures to magazines . Had about a 5 minute chat with him before work called , but it all sounded interesting stuff . He was driving round in a big fat Audi so must be doing ok lol :P

Thank you Bill for your nice words. Yes, I do have an interesting job - working for nature conservation organisation. Unfortunately, not very well paid :-(

As to the photography ... hmmm... i am not sure it will pay the bills... If you have any ideas how to promote my site, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Alex

Nature and travel stock photos

Hi Alex!.......just checked out your site.Some good stuff!

Was strangly drawn towards your Amsterdam nightlife section :rolleyes: ................................

........Nice tram :angry:

Serious note! Liked those winter shots, somehow you make all that snow look wonderfull, romantic and exciting.......funny, there was me thinking it meant, blocked roads, closed schools and broken bones!!

Good luck!

Thank you Bill and Blue250 for your feedback and advise. Glad you like the images!

Would anybody be interested to exchange links with my site? I have just developed new linking banners:

http://www.imagenature.com/links.html

It would help to promote the site. Please get in contact if you want to link up!

Alex

Nature and travel photography