IGNORED

Australian Football League Thread

well footy is back here in australia with the AFL season starting

i guess most of you guys would know of "Aussie Rules" but not that much into it

Round 1 tonight sees

Carlton vs Richmond both very young teams in what should be an tight match ben cousins is back after a year suspended for taking drugs and he is up againest former team mate at West Coast Chris Judd (who is now Carlton Captain) They are expecting 90 thousand in what should be a very good match of 2 power houses of the afl taking on each other

The best bit of Oz rules (for me) is when the umpire makes that ridiculous gesture when a goal is scored. They look like my lad used to when he played at being a dalek :lol::lol: . They're so serious about it, as if they're making some great revelation that no-one else knows about :rolleyes: .

The rest of it all seems a bit pointless, but that's what sport's all about I guess :) .

well last night carlton hammered richmond by 83 points in which was a surprise Richmond were very poor tho

tonight is the grand final rematch between Hawthorn and Geelong, Geelong which had lost just 1 game (which was by 83 points) went into the drand final clear favorites but nerves got the better of them and hawthorn won the grand final by 30 odd points

Gary Ablett of geelong is the best midfielder in the game and can go forward and kick lots of goals while Lance franklin is the best forward in the game he is quite tall and very athletic last season he kicked over 100 goals but also kicked alot of points they are expecting 80 thousand at the MCG so hopefully this match is a good one

well last night geelong beat hwathorn by 8 points in a great match after geelong being 40 points up hawthorn made a late run but there just wasnt enough time and they lost by 8

jus tthen in a sort of upset adelaide beat collingwood by 4 points

tonight its brisbane and west coast who are teams they didnt make the finals last year and st kilda and sydney both teams made the 8 last season st kilda who promise lots never seem to deleive but sydney use to bea top 4 team but with a ageing list it looks like they miss the finals

im going for brisbane and st kilda

St Kilda and Brisbane both won brisbane coming from behind while st kilda sort of coming from behind

on Sunday Kangaroos can make the finals this year played wooden spoon favourties (finishing last) melbourne and the kangaroos won that

Port Adelaide took on my team essendon and well essendon gave it all they got with a very young list but port were too strong kicking late goals to make the 42 point win seem more comfortable then it was, with like 10 mins to go essendon were only down by about 16 points

then Fremantle took on WEsten Bulldongs the dos are cleary the 3 best team in the comp and fremantle have a young list the doggies well won by 60 odd but they ran aay with it in the last quater and fremantle reall gave a good shout of it

that is week one of the AFL :)

• 3 weeks later...

watch that

round 5 the traditional anzac clash between essendon and our rivals collingwood

fantastic win for essendon a great comeback needing 3 goals in 4 minutes and we won with a 19 y.o kicking the winner (reminded me of goslings goal vs the shite) in front of 84 thousand people in the rain

Edited by Sprooly

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Reg Reagan

pfft, the worst sport i have ever came across is AFL

its like watching a bunch of seagulls fighting over a hot chip

essendon

its a sport that is hard to get into at first or you love it and the rules make it harder most of the time when a free kick is given i have no idea what it is

i hate rugby unioin and league with a passion tho 80 minutes of people just running into each other lol

I watched it a few years back, probably when Channel 4 first started. Sprooly am I right in saying its only played in the Queensland NSW areas. I remember a guy called Diepierdimenico (what a mouthful), big sod with long curly hair and a Merv Hughes muzzie ha-ha, he was a real crowd favourite.