IGNORED

Monitor Problem

Guest efctaxi

Guest efctaxi

Over the last few days , I've been getting problems with my monitor .

It's nothing to do with pc settings , drivers etc etc , as I tested it on another pc and no difference .

What happens :

I turn the monitor on , and in about 1/2 a second , I lose the picture .

On / off / on / off and the same thing .

Occasionally I get lucky , and the picture stays on .

Once on , it works fine , but if I shut down , the same thing happens again upon start up .

Unfortunately , tonight , I couldn't get it to work at all . :(

Luckily , I was given a monitor about 15 years ago that still works , but it's a very small screen and the quality is terrible .

It also hurts my eyes a little , and is the same size as a number 10 bus .

If anyone has had this problem , and can offer a solution , I would be extremely grateful .

Thanks in advance .

I would try downloading the latest drivers for the mother board, video card, and monitor. If this fails then either the Monitor has its lowest resolution decoder chip failing or the video card is failing. The reason the monitor is flicking off and on is that it is not sure that it is getting a vertical and horizontal signal from the PC. It then goes into shut down.

I got that from :

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Monitor-Problem...r-switching.htm

Hope this helps.

Guest efctaxi
I would try downloading the latest drivers for the mother board, video card, and monitor. If this fails then either the Monitor has its lowest resolution decoder chip failing or the video card is failing. The reason the monitor is flicking off and on is that it is not sure that it is getting a vertical and horizontal signal from the PC. It then goes into shut down.

I got that from :

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Monitor-Problem...r-switching.htm

Hope this helps.

Thanks mate , but the pc settings have been ruled out of the equation , as I have 2 pc's , which the monitor has worked well on for many years , and tested the monitor on both .

I'll have a good read of the link you posted all the same though .

Edit :

1 pc is new , and everything up to date btw on both .

Edited by efctaxi

First of all mate try this simple solution in some cases this works as the computer is telling the monitor its not in use and switches it off to save power:

1-Right click your mouse on the desktop screen and hit properties

2-A display properties windows will open so hit the "Screen Saver" button.

3-Then hit the "Power..." button

4-Then hit the little arrow down where it says "Turn off monitor" and choose Never.

5-Press OK at the bottom of the screen and you are done

Have you updated your BIOS recently as that can cause monitor problems as your having, When you boot up how long will it stay on for and does it go past the BIOS to the Windows screen?

If you have updated your BIOS at any time you will have to roll it back prior to the problem.

Or your power supply cable could have a loose connection and be shagged have your tried playing around with the cable's at the back to see if it comes back on?

Edited by EFC-Paul

Guest efctaxi
not a virus is it? that happened to me last year causing monitor to go off and on?

Anythings possible mate , especially after going on Bluemoon so much :lol:

Unless a virus could hit the monitor though , it's unlikely , as the monitor doesn't store data as far as I know , and again , both pc's showed the same problem .

I'm having the same problem with mine. Yours isn't an Acer monitor is it by any chance?

It's a 17" digimate about 4 years old .

Taxi, I have a spare monitor mate, Gateway, its yours if you want it.....................drop me an email

Will do mate thanks :)

Have also got a spare if you need it, but its a huge Taxi Fare down to Peterborough. ;)

Then you'll have to get one ' up ' from Peterborough . I'll pop the kettle on Bill . :D

First of all mate try this simple solution in some cases this works as the computer is telling the monitor its not in use and switches it off to save power:

1-Right click your mouse on the desktop screen and hit properties

2-A display properties windows will open so hit the "Screen Saver" button.

3-Then hit the "Power..." button

4-Then hit the little arrow down where it says "Turn off monitor" and choose Never.

5-Press OK at the bottom of the screen and you are done

Have you updated your BIOS recently as that can cause monitor problems as your having, When you boot up how long will it stay on for and does it go past the BIOS to the Windows screen?

If you have updated your BIOS at any time you will have to roll it back prior to the problem.

Or your power supply cable could have a loose connection and be shagged have your tried playing around with the cable's at the back to see if it comes back on?

Hi Paul .

Yep , I've checked the power options .

As for updating the bios , no , I've not done that on this particular pc , but it was built for me only recently ( less than 6 months old ) so all drivers / updates etc are pretty spot on . It's pretty quick on startup so no issues there that I can see .

Again , both pc's suffer the same problem , which was why I figured it was a monitor hardware issue , rather than the pc's .

The lead seems ok , but don't have a spare to test .

The old monitor I'm using has the lead inbuilt .

Edited by efctaxi

Guest efctaxi
Try a website called freecycle. Its basically ebay but for free. People advertise things they are giving away, there is always things like monitors knocking about on there.

Appreciated :)

Heres what you need to do:

1. When its shutting down, hit soft(open handed) on the right side of your monitor

2. Is thats not working, hit harder

3. If thats not working, use a hammer

4. Buy a new monitor

5. If thats not working, check that your graphic card havent moved or "loosed" (dont forget to remove power cord)

6. If thats not working, buy a new graphics card

7. If thats not working dump the whole machine on mersey and go buy a lot of alcohol

8. After that go to night club and pick up some cute woman

9. After you have been banging her, just sneak out of the house and remember to pick up her laptop for your "services"

10. Use your new pc and stop by here TT telling us how well its working

Bloody hell, what a coincidence. The same thing has happened to mine over last week or so, the monitor switching on and off, hence my brief disappearance. My mate took the moinitor and tried it on his PC and same thing happened. Looks like this is a regular occurence. Amazingly the old huge backed older monitors seem pretty reliable to the flat screen ones, the magic of modern technology or a makers scam haha.

Over the last few days , I've been getting problems with my monitor .

It's nothing to do with pc settings , drivers etc etc , as I tested it on another pc and no difference .

Get a professional to open your monitor and resolder the points on the board which sits towards the back of the monitor. I'm assuming your motherboard is CRT. My educated guess is a simple loss of connection due to a hard solder whenever the CRT is turned on (due to heat).

BTW, is your monitor a bit duller than usual when its on for that short amount of time?

-----------

EDIT:- Before you do that, remove the connecting wire to your CPU (motherboard or display card) and simply connect the monitor to a point and start. Can you see the standard message continuously or does the monitor still black out?

Edited by xavier