IGNORED

Eduardo Dive?

i only saw 2 replays of the incident and didnt notice him touching the ball after the keeper, so i youtubed it and, ok your right. My point with them being nearly identical was that they both went down knowing they werent going to be able to do anything with the ball. Rooney is nearly on his knees as the keeper touches him! and from what you describe, this is a worse offence than Eduardo's, Rooney is actively seeking a penalty and whats even worse, he looks round to argue for the penalty. granted, in the Eduardo replays i cant see how he reacts other than jogging back with the ball in his arms.

as for a decent player not accepting it, ive never seen any professional stop and turn down a pen. only sportsmanship ive seen on the pitch was DiCanio catching the ball in our area from his corner because something had happened. but, that is a 1 in a million event...

They both actively seeked it. The main difference is Rooney knew from his trajectory and Almunia's that contact was inevitable. Now while some people may argue that his motion was to prevent a dangerous fall, which I can understand, as potentially it could be a serious injury if his leg gets stuck or something, it's also true that he was already going down, knowing the contact was inevitable. Eduardo tried to do the same, but misjudged terribly, the ball was controlable, and the brush with the keeper's knee is anything but contact. He was expecting his front leg to get caught on the keeper's arms, and that's why he didn't even notice that the ball was still there and he kicked it out.

Robbie Fowler against Arsenal, and he probably missed the penalty on purpose after telling the ref it wasn't a penalty.

I think that's one. I remember a player, I forget if it was in the PL or the dutch league, that fell because of a trip and a shoulder to shoulder legal contact, and the ref giving the penalty and he was telling him it wasn't. I also remember someone scoring from a kick to the keeper that was supposed to be a normal fair play return of the ball after it was thrown out for a player's assistance, and the club (I think it was arsenal) asking the FA for a replay.

Granted, you don't see that kind of thing often, but you should.