IGNORED

Talking To The Enemy

jamiemaher85

This weeks Talking To The Enemy is brought to you by the knd people at www.yeoldetreeandcrown.co.uk

1- How do you feel Martinez will do for you and what is your feeling towards Bruce?

ATL11 Bruce is just doing what he knows best, unfortunately some of it is at the expense of Wigan, but he won't care! In January this year Wigan was 7th with great form, and amazingly pushing for Europe 'Wigan in Europe I ask you.....', and then Dave Whelan saw the money and took the 30 pieces of Silver, and well the rest is History, & Bruce left that Summer disillusioned with Wigan.

Martinez, I am getting worried he'll do a Paul Ince, he has the ability; just don't think he'll get the support from the Chairman. & if Dave Whelan smells Championship in a few Months time, who knows, there's no place in football for sentiment....

Vat69 I actually think Martinez has a lot of class. He's definitely a lovely guy, and a top bloke. I know that from when he played for us and I met him a few times. I think he's got the right idea about the style of football he wants to play. However, I am very concerned at just how much say he is getting in transfers and probable targets. We have just made around 22 million from the sales of Valencia and Cattermole, and yet he was interviewed on Sky Sports a few nights ago saying "We don't have the resources of the other clubs, and so we have to be 'clever' with our signings". That reeks of the fact that Whelan is tying his hands behind his back, and not giving sufficient backing. That's so dissappointing.

Bruce? I have called him not fit to burn over the past few weeks, with the fact that he came back for Cattermole, etc. But in all honesty, he's gone to a far bigger club, with a far better chance of being able to spend money on players. I think he definitely felt limited, at Wigan. Thanks again, Mr Whelan.

2- What would your assessment of your summer be and do you feel that Valencia will cope with stepping into Ronaldo's boots at United?

ATL11 Don't think Valencia was brought in to fill Ronaldo's boots, it's like trying to fill the boots of Pele or Maradonna, and hes that good. Valencia scored 10 goals in his previous 2 seasons, Ronaldo 70+. Think United will be looking for goals from other players, when you think Tevez & Ronaldo got 100+ goals between them in the last 2 season, and they have replaced them with Valencia & Owen. Once they get their rose tinted specs off, it's a worrying time for United fans, Fergie is not getting any younger, and what's happening now is similar to what happened to Liverpool in the late 80's early 90's.

Our Summer was one filled with burning optimism, but the flame went out as soon as Cattermole went, we've also just sold Brown and our left back Figueroa wanting away (that man Bruce again), it's January 2009 all over again, if Figueroa goes that will be £50m+ in sales, in 8 months, with a lot less being used to buy players, from what we've worked out the money is going into DW Gym machines and the DW pension.

Vat69 The optimism of the summer, with the return of Martinez, has already evaporated. Most fans know that we are not good enough. But we also know that it's not Martinez that's the problem. It's the chairman and his desire to do things on the cheap all the time. We will get caught out with this philosophy. At the time of writing this, Michael Brown has just left today, Figueroa is being quoted as wanting away, and Bruce is after him, apparently. Out of all the rumours of new players going here and there, none are about us signing anybody.

Valencia? A different player to Ronaldo, but he can be a good player for them. He came back to haunt us last week, and he slaughtered our left back, Figueroa. To me, he looked a FAR better player for them, than us. Better coaching?

3- A great result against Villa followed by a grounding result by United, do you feel consistency could be an issue this year?

ATL11 Think the Villa result was them playing worse than us, in United the result was as expected. Just hoping the good defence we had last season (& hasn't changed) starts to talk to each other, only 6 teams last season had a better defensive record than us, and yet already we've shipped in 10 goals in our last 2 matches.

Vat69 I think RELEGATION will be a major issue, unless we miraculously spend some money on decent players.

4- Do you feel you need to bring in any more players before the window slams shut?

ATL11 Yes, but we'll probably end up with Luke Chadwick and Francis Jeffers, and they'll be Dave Whelan's idea to bring in Premiership experience, and nothing to do with the fact they'll be on cheap contracts.

Vat69 See previous answer. How come Stoke could sign Tuncay for 6 million?

5- With a World Cup just around the corner do you have any players in your ranks you feel could push for a place?

ATL11 We did, but we don't anymore, he 'Lee Cattermole' got sold by the Chairman, Liverpool >> we'll give you £10m = NO, Arsenal >> we'll give you £8m = NO, Sunderland >> we'll give you £6m = SOLD. You can see our frustration at the 'Wigan Athletic School of Business dealings', especially with the Money Everton got for Lescott, and how they just held out.

Vat69 Yes. For other countries! All foreigners. Bramble maybe. Maybe not. Was solid last season. Back to old shakey feet this season.

To hear him, perhaps Scharner will play in midfield for Brazil.

6- Your Chairman, any thoughts?

ATL11 Yes please retire, and leave the club in the hands of someone who doesn't pretend to care. We may be the only club in the Premiership with a Bank Account in the Black, but that'll mean nothing to those thousands of fans who are becoming more and more disillusioned as we play Championship matches on a Tuesday night when the likes of Fulham this year are playing in Europe.

It's easy to see with the 7,000 or so empty seats @ the Man United game, and 2 of those empty seats used to be mine, and had been for years, but I don't want to fund some Gym equipment for pretty people called Chantelle or Brad to keep their triceps honed in....

Phew I'm done, but if you read between the very obvious lines, we support our team with passion and have seen the Good times and bad times (ala 1993), we just wish the support from above wasn't as misguided, wolf in sheep's clothing is a good pun to end with

7- Predictions for the game?

ATL11: My heads thinking Home win by 2 goals, but this Premiership has started with some strange results, so you never know? In my heart I'm hoping Wigan knick it by the odd goal.

Vat69 4-0 again to Everton wouldn't surprise me. Honestly.

Edited by jamiemaher85

ATL11 We did, but we don't anymore, he 'Lee Cattermole' got sold by the Chairman, Liverpool >> we'll give you £10m = NO, Arsenal >> we'll give you £8m = NO, Sunderland >> we'll give you £6m = SOLD. You can see our frustration at the 'Wigan Athletic School of Business dealings', especially with the Money Everton got for Lescott, and how they just held out.

And we moan about our board?

Nice bit of perspective there (although I realise that, with no disrespect, Wigan's history and expectation are not at the same level as us).