IGNORED

Should We Really Be Worried?

Matt

Well isn't that being a little bit unfair ? you say you have anticipated a slide to mid table for a few seasons ? we have on paper a considerably stronger squad than last season,I thing the board have done their job, it's not their fault that The Yak,Mikel,Jags,Peanuts,Ossie,Bainsy,Louis have all been long term injuries (nor is it Steve Rounds by the way)

no! we havent had a squad big enough for a long long time. even moyes knows it, hence his recent rantings in the press.

Look, the fact is we can't print money to buy players or for that matter to compete on wages with some of the other clubs and I would hardly call Moyes occaisional refference to the size of the squad "rantings" The Premiership is in the big scheme of things a relatively new advent compared to the full history of our club and the game itself and it will be a marathon in the future not a sprint, we are RELATIVELY speaking in a far healthier state financialy than the majority of Prem Clubs and once the RIGHT investor has been found we will take our rightfull position for years to come, this may however take another year or two, in the meantime thank god for Moysie and keep the faith !

to be honest, anyone that hasn't anticipated something like this is naive. our squad is tiny and we've struggled with injuries for a couple of seasons but managed to fight on with it...moyes has pointed it out and the club have continuously failed to sort it out....so no it's not unfair, it's in fact overdue. i'd love to say i'm sad about it but after banging that drum when people were 'moutinho this and moutinho that' and i was saying we needed more players for the squad, i lost a bit of interest in putting up with many evertonians and the club itself. we have a good starting 11, but first 11s don't win titles and they're not going to break into that top 4...squads achieve this.

nil satis nisi optimum, remember that? the stadium, the lack of addressing what we all knew needed addressing...it's something i consider not only a football motto but a personal one and i'll always think of it fondly - but with regards to everton - kind of ambiguous, it's been fading in the background for years.

[/rant]

Take your point but my point is that ultimately none of that is relevant.

In 100 years time Evertonians as sad as us on holoforums will look at the history of now and judge us as getting better or worse depending on whether we go up or down the league.

Our success (or lack of) is measured as a comparison to the teams we compete against...and that's the only way it can be measured.

I can see what you are getting at but you have taken it all out of context

The original post was saying we can still challenge for 5th place and was using last season as an example I was saying its a different scenario and so my points are exremely relevant

I agree with you that our final league position will decide wether or not we have improved but the point wasnt how we judge our success it was about the race for 5th