IGNORED

Birmingham (home)

cols

birmingham aren't shite at all they are well organised and confident and also getting a few breaks..in the league if that second goal had counted for us i think it would have been a canter after that because their heads would've been down but they got the break and they took their chance and then defended well against fair play to them! did the same on saturday took 2 chances when we were shocking in the first half then wouldn't let us through in the 2nd half! i just feel as soon as they lose a match though they will do a hull and just fall down the table doesn't seem enough about them to play well with a lack of confidence! but it is nice to see more teams involved for as long as possible makes others around think!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've seen enough in the last few weeks to warrant thinking that we are a much better side than a lot of the teams that are currently above is in the league. At times we've been playing some really nice football, and except for, what I call, the "mental absenteeism" that was evident in the first half against Brum and earlier this season, we have reason to be confident that all is not lost.

Ok, we're out of both domestic cups, and we were all looking forward to a decent run in the FA Cup again, but we've still got at least two more games in Europe to look forward to, and if we can stop this 'mental absenteeism', then I think we should have enough to at least give Sporting Lisbon a game. I'm sorry to say it but I can't see us winning the it (the whole shebang, that is) but to go through to the last 16 or even quarter finals, would be a good achievement I think, as their are some really good teams still left in it.

As for the season, I think this next month (till the end of Feb) will be a difficult month, and we'll need to be putting in good performances to get results. Next month, we've got the Shite(away), then Manu and Chelsea at home, before a trip to Spurs at the end of the month, before January's out we've got Sunderland at home and Wigan away. I think we should be aiming to get at least 12 points out of those games. That's basically, wins against Spurs, Wigan & Sunderland (all with the exception of Spurs, games that you would think we should be winning), and then draws against the three 'top four' teams (ie. Liverpool, United & Chelsea). If we can get 12 points, with good displays, from those games. I think it'll stand us in good stead for the run in.

Additionally, I think we should be trying to bring in some extra fire power, both Jak and Saha, have been hit and miss lately, for one reason or another. Also, if we can start having a bit more luck with injuries and get the likes of Arteta and Jags back to full fitness, with the run in we've got, with many of the 'better' teams in the league already played, I think we should be able to press on.

12 points before the end of Feb will give us 38 Points with 11 games remaining. If we can get an average of 2 points per game over those eleven that would mean we end the season with exactly 60 points, which going by previous seasons is enough for a top6/top7 finish. Personally, I think 7th is the highest we can aim for, and my estimations are probably a little bit optimistic.

However, the nature of the beast dictates that the situation doesn't always go as expected. Unless of course, you are expecting the unexpected. ;)

The only good thing to come out of that game was the return of Arteta, though I fear we will rush him back out of desperation if our other players fail to perform.

I read some of his comments in this football article on the FA Cup, but I'm worried we will expect too much from him too soon. Don't forget he was playing poorly for about 6 months at the end of 07/08 and start of 08/09 season when he was carrying an injury. It ws just a shame that he was playing the best football of his career when he injured himself.

I think we should just go full tilt for the EUROPA League this season and make it three in a row - Carling Cup Semi, FA Cup Final next, Europa winners after that!!