IGNORED

Bolton (home)

Matt

I think we were a little lucky yesterday to come away with all three points. Up until the sending off we were having no joy breaking them down, Bolton defended doggedly and I think if Mikel hadn't have scored the free kick, they'd have just tried to keep everyone behind the ball and make it even more difficult for us. As it was, with the free-kick going in, I think Owen Coyle thought ok let's at least try and get something out of this game, and that maybe helped us get the second. However, saying that Ossie did make a difference when he came on and it was a nice little piece of play for him to find the space and put Pienaar in.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's not a game I'll remember for very long, and tbh, I don't want to either. The first-half was excruciating to watch and it was easily as bad as when we've been at our worst (e.g. Birmingham in the cup). We were so slow at using the ball (it's a bit of a staple for us this season tbh), gave the ball away constantly, hoofed (Jags and Neville mostly). It was just horrible. There was improvement in the second half, at least we were trying to play football unlike that shower of shite who were just looking to kick our players all over the pitch. But it still wasn't very good and we needed them going down to 10 men to win the game in all honesty. After that we bossed it.

Howard - Made some good saves and commanded his area by coming for a few of the high balls.

Neville - I thought he was shocking, again. He didn't deal with being given very little time on the ball by Bolton so just launched the ball to no one in particular, especially first-half.

Jags - Had an absolute 'mare. He was two yards off the pace so Bolton were able to close him down at every opportunity and, like Neville, just launched the ball to no one.

Distin - Our best defender yesterday, he was very, very solid. I do wish he'd stop his Yobo runs into the opposition's half though, they scare me :unsure:.

Baines - His crossing was extremely weak but other than that he played well and got himself forward all afternoon.

Bily - Terrible in the first-half, but I thought he grew into the game and looked a lot better in the second-half and was looking quite lively. Hopefully if Vic is out for a while he'll grab the opportunity.

Cahill - Terrible and offered nothing for us, he should have gone off sooner IMO. It was pointless him being out there because he wasn't playing the supporting role to the Yak and he was terrible as a proper midfielder. I think we need to get rid of him tbh, and it pains me to say thit but he's lost his use value to us IMO.

Heitinga - I love him more and more with every passing game, he's a beast. I can only remember him misplacing one pass all afternoon, he was a calming influence on our midfield when it was getting very frustrating and he was just everywhere for us. Special mention to getting right in Wiley's face too :D. Star man and my MOTM.

Arteta - I didn't think he played all that well tbh but he didn't play badly either, it was just a run of the mill performance. He put full effort in for the whole game but things just didn't come off for him for the most part. Nice free-kick though :).

Pienaar - A terrible game for Pienaar. His control was shocking and I lost count of the amount of times he gave the ball away!

Yakubu - I felt a bit sorry for the Yak yesterday. There was no one supporting him and he was feeding off pretty shit scraps. The one time he got some decent service he won us the free-kick that put us 1-0 up, and that says it all for me - give the Yak service and he'll do the business.

spot on especially about the yak there! he scores goals wherever he goes but only with the service and as you rightly said got it once and did something with...

heitinga looks a top class premiership player now he looked shaky in midfield at the start of the season but now he's just an animal! :D loved that tackle on lee heard him yelp as he took the ball and almost broke the man...proper old school no fuckin about! love it :wub: