IGNORED

Coming To World Cup

Hey all, starting to really get worried we may host the first damp squib world cup ever. Does ANYONE know ANYONE who's coming over? From the few people I've spoken to in the UK it seems as though there are going to be very few visitors. I think for South Africans who tend to follow the Premier League very closely, many were looking forward to a ton of English fans coming over like they do for the cricketers and Lions, but it seems the figure could be no more than 20,000 - apparently the price of flights has put a lot of people off.

Also a lot of Aussies and a few Yanks on this forum - should we be expecting many of your compatriots?

All my Money comes from Gordon Brown David Cameron? Nick Clegg? Anyway, student loan!

'fraid I couldn't find anywhere close to the £3,000 packages Thomas Cook and the likes were offering. I hope there is a big presence for the English fans, but that is a lot of money to part with

I am not agreat follower of International football as a whole but I can see why folk get excited at World Cup time. Don't get me wrong I want England to do well but won't lose any sleep if they get trounced in the three group games and arrive home before the recorded single even hits the shops.

Back to the question. There is a group of lads near me who go to every Euro and World Cup. They put £20 a month away each to get tickets, hotels and local tranpsort etc but after receiving their match tickets, the cost of the flights at nearly £2,000 has put them off altogether. They have decided to have a week in Sunny Spain to watch the group games. They have tried to get money back off tickets but have been told by FIFA that this is not possible at the moment. Also what they paid for tickets originally is a lot more that what you can get them for now.

I've read that the tournament is a big let down and that FAs are trying to sell on their tickets because there's no interest from fans.

"The word is already on the street, the event is a bomb, it's a bust, it's on the floor, the unsafe atmosphere and the cost of travel and hotels has made this an awful event to sell"

[..]travel agents – who are now reported to be trying to re-sell at face value – just to dump them.

disaster?

From what I heard the plurality of travelers to South Africa are yanks like myself (I am going-Capetown). Airfare is pretty bad cost me 1.4K US round trip and I booked 8 months in advance. Can't imagine what the price is like now. I also heard that many of the innitial ticketing phases offered to South African's weren't successful because of the lack of internet access and now they are selling tickets in supermarkets and other over the counter operations. Despite the negative press I am still very excited.

Some may get a kick out of this interview with the mayor of Johannesburg. http://i.imgur.com/yDk8C.jpg

From what I heard the plurality of travelers to South Africa are yanks like myself (I am going-Capetown). Airfare is pretty bad cost me 1.4K US round trip and I booked 8 months in advance. Can't imagine what the price is like now. I also heard that many of the innitial ticketing phases offered to South African's weren't successful because of the lack of internet access and now they are selling tickets in supermarkets and other over the counter operations. Despite the negative press I am still very excited.

Some may get a kick out of this interview with the mayor of Johannesburg. http://i.imgur.com/yDk8C.jpg

:lol: amazing!! :lol:

ok, so everything posted here pretty much confirms the general feeling that's starting to emerge here. can only hope it turns out better than current expectations.

tenaciousj and ftaylor, I still reckon cape town is gonna be an amazing place to be during the tournament, so wouldn't be put off by the negativity.