IGNORED

Zac Macmath

• 1 month later...

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=6727

Not eligible for permit:

It really wasn't much of a decision. Many countries, such as England, require foreigners to present a work permit before they can play. Despite his dad's Irish and Scottish heritage, MacMath was unable to acquire a permit overseas. And although Everton coaches were pleased with his performance this summer, he wouldn't have been able to play in England with his limited experience on the U.S. national team.

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/sports/goalden-boy-1.1645837?pagereq=2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

MacMath has some raw talents for sure but I don't know. There's a lot of concern about who will take over for Howard once he retires internationally because there really is not much to choose from. And MacMath isn't even in the picture, so I believe that says a lot about where he is at right now. With some maturing and development (which he needs a lot of) I could see him eventually working his way over to a lower end or midtable Championship team but I would be absolutely shocked if he ever turns into EPL quality. Nonetheless, it doesn't hurt to take a look and I'm not going to be the one to complain about increasing our profile in the United States.

MacMath has some raw talents for sure but I don't know. There's a lot of concern about who will take over for Howard once he retires internationally because there really is not much to choose from. And MacMath isn't even in the picture, so I believe that says a lot about where he is at right now. With some maturing and development (which he needs a lot of) I could see him eventually working his way over to a lower end or midtable Championship team but I would be absolutely shocked if he ever turns into EPL quality. Nonetheless, it doesn't hurt to take a look and I'm not going to be the one to complain about increasing our profile in the United States.

Bill Hamid?

Bill Hamid?

I'm not too big on Hamid, though at this point he is definitely one of the better MLS keepers. He's got some very good reflexes but he also has his fair share of Robert Green moments, if you will. This happened this past weekend in a playoff game against my (and Tim Cahill's) New York Red Bulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrpQ7CmVPpI

Another guy who I could see being a mid-table Championship goalkeeper at best.

I'm not too big on Hamid, though at this point he is definitely one of the better MLS keepers. He's got some very good reflexes but he also has his fair share of Robert Green moments, if you will. This happened this past weekend in a playoff game against my (and Tim Cahill's) New York Red Bulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrpQ7CmVPpI

Another guy who I could see being a mid-table Championship goalkeeper at best.

He's only 21. And things like that happen when you're playing against Henry and have shitty defenders.

He's only 21. And things like that happen when you're playing against Henry and have shitty defenders.

I don't care if Pele took the corner and a u15 girl's team is playing defense for you. Punch the ball away if there's any doubt you can catch it. Don't swat it back into your own net. He has very good reflexes but struggles technically and mentally. Yes, he's only 21, I'll bring up the Tim Howard comparison that I've brought up in the past; he absolutely DOMINATED Major League Soccer. At around the age Hamid is now, he convincingly won the goalkeeper of the year award in MLS. Hamid is doing a pretty good job but is hardly anchoring DC United. Nobody fears going up against Bill Hamid. He is young and goalkeepers generally tend to peak later than most players. I do believe he'll eventually make the move to Europe. But I think it will be to a lower profile team in Eredivisie or in Belgium or some other feeder league like that. Or maybe for a Championship team. I don't doubt his future in European football, but I can't possibly imagine him being the answer for a consistent top 10 team like Everton who has aspirations of a top five spot. Of course, just my opinion. For all I know he replaces Iker Casillas in Madrid three years from now.

I'm just saying don't count the kid out, as he's still very young for a keeper. Also, when Howard was playing in the MLS there weren't any Henry's or anything like him. He went to England at 24 (I think) and did well. Hamid is playing against tougher competition at a young age. Let's see how he develops. I have high hopes for the kid.

Hows he doing over there, I've not heard anything?

I'm just saying don't count the kid out, as he's still very young for a keeper. Also, when Howard was playing in the MLS there weren't any Henry's or anything like him. He went to England at 24 (I think) and did well. Hamid is playing against tougher competition at a young age. Let's see how he develops. I have high hopes for the kid.

No, but there were guys like Brian McBride, Landon in his prime, Clint Mathis, etc. Definitely not as high of a quality as it is now but it was still a solid league. Howard was just a totally different specimen physically and mentally. Definitely some hope for him for sure but I just don't see him becoming a competent starting goalkeeper for a top 8 EPL team.

Edited by thoward18

Hows he doing over there, I've not heard anything?

It's rough for guys in Europe because when they come to MLS in what is their offseason our league is already in midseason form. Cahill has only scored one goal but he's been the physical, active guy in the box you'd expect him to be. Some NY fans are growing impatient with him but these are the same people who whined about Thierry Henry when he wasn't great after coming to MLS in the middle of the season. Now he's the best player in the league. Once Timmy has a full offseason to train and prepare and now that he's adjusted to MLS and North America I'm sure he'll be fine.